• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

help - red grouse and cirl buntings in Devon/Dartmoor (1 Viewer)

I dont think you will find either on Dartmoor, there are other areas however for Cirl Bunting. I have no idea about Red Grouse. I didnt think they were in Devon.

To get information for Cirl Bunting this time of year may be hard. I recommend having a look at the Devon forum section, specifically this link http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=138220

Last edited:
There are Red Grouse on Dartmoor. I'm not putting the details here (for obvious reasons) I hope someone from down South Devon can give you details. I've never seen one there!

Jon

No idea on Red Grouse, best bet would be to look for the right habitat - look for good heather; much of dartmoor that I have visited is a bit too grassy.

For Cirl Bunting I have had success at Wembury (one of the sites mentioned on the RSPB webpage). Although their page warns that they can be difficult to see there I have seen them there quite well most times I've been there.

I would suggest watching from the coastal path; don't be put off by the throngs of walkers and beach goers; the buntings actually seem quite used to people going by as its a very busy stretch of path and beach and I've had some surprisingly close views (probably closer for example than I've ever managed to get to a yellowhammer!).

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back