• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

low power microscope (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi all

has anyone got a recommendation for a good low power microscope. No set budget but keen not to spend more than necessary.

Regards

Steve

Steve, Depending on what you are wanting to use it for, but I have just downloaded a microscope/magnifier app for the mobile phone and my tablet. I used it today whilst out looking for Brown Hairstreak eggs and was reasonably impressed with the result. I am going to try and set it up indoors next.

There do seem to be a few cheapish USB / WiFi microscopes you can use with a computer or tablet.

Hi all

has anyone got a recommendation for a good low power microscope. No set budget but keen not to spend more than necessary.

Regards

Steve

If all you need is a quick close up view of something, most monoculars serve as quality loupes if inverted and binoculars would do likewise.
Stamp collectors, probably another endangered species, use low power scopes and loupes extensively. You might find some attractive options there.
Zeiss used to sell a mount to make their 8x monocular into a low power microscope. The field of view was much better than a standard microscope, at least at the modest powers available.
Full scale microscopes are a very different breed and afaik, even modest optical performance will be $500 and up, way up if you have alpha tastes.

Thanks for the information. I frequently invert my binoculars for in the field use; it is a very useful tool when I don't have a hand lens. I do have 'alpha' tastes but it's for beetle id. I want to get into them more but I suspect they'll always remain a way behind birds. mammals, butterflies and dragonflies as my main priority and so a 'budget' stereo microscope will probably do the job. especially as I've just blown a lot of money of a new pair of 'alpha' bins. The Anglia Leps site does look like my best bet.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back