• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vortex Viper HD 10x50 - Double view (1 Viewer)

tommybj

Hi

Have just bought a Vortex Viper HD 10x50 and only tried them yesterday evening. They look and feel ok, but my first look in them made me think if they are not made for my eyes. I wear glasses and therefore I didn't extend the eye cups at first. When I looked through them the first thing I noticed was that I have some kind of double view in them, mostly on my left side. I don't know how to explain it but it was like I could see the left outer circle two times with a little distance between them, I don't see it that clear in the right side. I tried to make adjustment to the IPD but that didn't help. I then extended the eye cups one click at a time and at the second click it helped. But then i got the feeling that I didn't have the full FOV and that's because I now has gotten shorter eye relief. If I pretend i'm not disturbed by that, i really think the image looks bright and sharp at the center and first at 80 % it get blurry.

Do you have any idea if this is a fault in the binocular or are they just not made for my eyes?

I have never had the problem with my Hawke or my Nikon.

I'm not sure I follow you. If you extend the eye cups when you are wearing your glasses you will get longer eye relief, not shorter, and that could make the FOV you see smaller. If 80% of the view that you see when you extend the eye cups is clear and bright that would be considered very good in most binoculars unless it caused the FOV to become very narrow.

Have you tried using the binoculars when you are not wearing your glasses to see if the problem you describe happens then? You will have to extend the eye cups all the way out if you do so. Of course you will also have to set the diopter on the binocular to correct your vision problem when you do this.

Bob

Last edited:
Yes and no. If I extend the eye cups the effect will be as if the eye relief were shorter. I don't get the 80% brightness when I have extended the eye cups. I only get it if I look with one eye and look from center to edge. The FOV on the Viper is already narrow so extending the eye cups only makes it more narrow.

I have tried to look through the Viper without glasses and the double circle are still visible. If I make the IPD lesser the circle will become less visible but I don't get the full FOV.

I'm not sure I follow you. If you extend the eye cups when you are wearing your glasses you will get longer eye relief, not shorter, and that could make the FOV you see smaller. If 80% of the view that you see when you extend the eye cups is clear and bright that would be considered very good in most binoculars unless it caused the FOV to become very narrow.

Have you tried using the binoculars when you are not wearing your glasses to see if the problem you describe happens then? You will have to extend the eye cups all the way out if you do so. Of course you will also have to set the diopter on the binocular to correct your vision problem when you do this.

Bob

When you say you have a "double view" when you look through them do you mean you see 2 of everything as if the binoculars were out of collimation or do the circles overlap and you see the rest of the view within the circles normally?

Bob

Last edited:
It's not out of collimation, the circles overlap and I see the rest off the view within the circles normally. So its only the outter left and now also right 10-15 % I see as two but it still are the full picture. I've attached a picture how I think it looks. Normally I would say it has to do with the distance between the two eye pieces (IPD) but no matter how I set the distance I still see the circles.

Attachments

• Vortex.jpg
    Vortex.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 87
The IPD on the viper is 59mm. What is your IPD? I'll bet you can't see the full field of view because you can't close the barrels far enough.

The IPD on the viper is 59mm. What is your IPD? I'll bet you can't see the full field of view because you can't close the barrels far enough.

I haven't measured it but if I closed the barrels to narrow they were to close and it got black on the outer circle.

Either that or the objective tubes are "pinched."

It could be pinched or it's just my eyesight thats the problem.

I was in luck today at work. I was sent on a trip where I drove by the supplier and got him to look at them. According to him there were no problem but he agreed on sending them to his supplier to be examined. He gave me the opportunity to look through a Leica Trinovid 10x42 and they had no problem. I tried to compare several times and the double outer circle was only in the Vortex. So i'll wait and see what the verdict are.

Thanks for your help so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back