• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Novagrade's New Standard Adapter (1 Viewer)

This adapter looks very good. However, I find the price just obscene.
I can't figure out or find a way to justify its cost no matter how good it is.

Am I missing anything? I doubt many are sold at that price point. Would they not sell many more at about half the price (which would still be much more expensive than the competition).

This adapter looks very good. However, I find the price just obscene.
I can't figure out or find a way to justify its cost no matter how good it is.

Am I missing anything? I doubt many are sold at that price point. Would they not sell many more at about half the price (which would still be much more expensive than the competition).

I agree they are expensive. They are also the best I have used, and I have tried a few.

My thinking to help accept the initial outlay is that regardless if I change my phone or decide to change the eyepiece on my scope, the adapter adjusts to accommodate it without further financial outlay.

I also find it a massive plus point that I can keep my phone in its everyday protective case, just popping it straight into the adapter. All other adapters I have used require you to remove your phone from the case of your choice and place it into the phone case supplied with the adapter. These supplied cases are invariably very poor at protecting your phone. It is also an inconvenience to swap cases every time ou go birding just incase you see something you with to record.

I am on my third phone and still using the same adapter. Consider the cost of the three adapter replacements or half adapter replacements (some adapter setups allow you to just replace the phone holding part.)

I agree it isn't cheap in price, but it isn't cheap in quality either.

Thanks Moocher, I am glad it works for you.
When I was researching adapters, beginning of the year, the Novagrade was my first option too. At the end I got the Carson HookUpzTM for 25% of the cost.
It also works with any smartphone with the case on. I was prepared to pay for the Novagrade twice the price of the Carson, but 4 times was a bit too much.

Thanks Moocher, I am glad it works for you.
When I was researching adapters, beginning of the year, the Novagrade was my first option too. At the end I got the Carson HookUpzTM for 25% of the cost.
It also works with any smartphone with the case on. I was prepared to pay for the Novagrade twice the price of the Carson, but 4 times was a bit too much.

It's all about finding what works for you. The adapter you mention wasn't available when i was looking for one.

Enjoy your phonescoping.

regards

Moocher

Phone adapters are getting to be pretty decent, even at much lower prices.
These budget designs don't have the compactness or design elegance of the Novagrade and are more finicky to mount successfully, but they also work.

The Gosky universal cell phone adapter is robustly built and holds phones up to 90mm wide, ample for my Samsung S-5 in its protective holster case. It is offered for less than $25 by Amazon US:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013D2ULO6?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00

Novagrade Standard Adapter

One from a rare moment when the sun shone, about 4 weeks ago.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 191
Great Picture Moocher,

I noticed that due to the corner position of the iPhone 6/6S camera lens there is a bit of a gap around the phone that looks like it will let light in onto the scope lens.

Does this cause any issues with reflection or do you have a method of stopping the light from getting in?

Regards
Mike

Great Picture Moocher,

I noticed that due to the corner position of the iPhone 6/6S camera lens there is a bit of a gap around the phone that looks like it will let light in onto the scope lens.

Does this cause any issues with reflection or do you have a method of stopping the light from getting in?

Regards
Mike

You are correct Mike,

There are times when the angle of the sun can cause reflection or light spots in the image. Usually, the fact I am stood in front of the phone adapter shields any stray light from causing an issue. If it doesn't, I just hold my hand up near the eyepiece to block any light interference.

To be honest it doesn't occur a lot, but there are times when it can be an issue, albeit one that is easily remedied.

Regards

Moocher.

Another one using the Novagrade

Phonescoping worked out well yesterday.

Blog updated -http://moochersmoor.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/the-hinksford-hoopoe.html

Attachments

• Hoopoe phone FB.jpg
    Hoopoe phone FB.jpg
    693.7 KB · Views: 162
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back