• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

7D ll or 100-400 ll (1 Viewer)

Hi Malcolm, yes I can open with DPP but not familiar with it. Does it perform as well as PS ?
Thanks for the info on the battery.
John

I've used various versions of DPP on and off since getting my first Canon DSLR more than a decade ago. My version of PS is so old (PS6) that it can't open anything except jpegs, tiffs and a few other file types of its period. But it does have more than enough tools to make the adjustments I need. So, if I want to use raw, I'll use DPP (or Breezebrowser) to do the translation to either jpeg or tiff, and then do my adjustments in PS - always doing a SaveAs, so my jpegs remain as originals.

Hi Malcolm, yes I can open with DPP but not familiar with it. Does it perform as well as PS ?
Thanks for the info on the battery.
John
IMO DPP4 is superior to ACR (the photoshop RAW converter). I have both but use DPP4 to convert the RAW's these days. I then send to PS as a 16 bit tiff to do the bulk of the editing. I have noticed that there are quite a lot of top international bird photographers who are converting their RAW's in DPP4 in preference to PS/Lightroom these days.

I'm thinking of a 400mm lens, 1've got a Sigma 120-300 but I always use it at 300. This is worth thinking about when deciding whether to buy the 100- 400 or the 400f5.6.

The 400 5.6l is a great lens,I own one very fast and sharp & good for flight shots.The only drawbacks being no IS & could do with being able to focus closer.

Cheers.

Steve.

I used to own both the Canon 400mm F/5.6L and 300mm F/4L IS primes but sold them to buy a Canon 100-400mm L II which is just as sharp and has a closer minimum focal distance, so it's more flexible as a lens. I have had mine for nearly 2 years and exclusively shoot wildlife, especially dragonflies.

I mount on a 7D Mark II and occasionally add a Canon 1.4x III but don't like it for birds in flight because the 1.4x slows down the AF.

Image quality examples on Flickr.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back