• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Hummgbird mini scope (1 Viewer)

Rhett Quigley

These scopes look interesting. One is 9-27x56mm, the other is 7-22x50mm and is 2 ounces lighter. They are the smallest spotting scopes you can buy and are waterproof. This along with a lightweight monopod with feet looks amazing. What do you think?

The Porters have a quasi-review here, with nice photo comparison to other small scopes.
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/celestron/celestron_hummingbird_scope.html

No critical description of the optics though. For a bit of that, see this thread
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3392061

My thought on seeing it is that it is a cool idea (pocket scope), but how unfortunate that it is compromised by the ridiculously huge zoom ocular. Who needs the 7x-22x range? Celestron could have specced a fixed long eye relief 25x, which would have been much smaller and made the whole package much smaller. Anyone know if the ocular is interchangeable? I wonder about the optical quality. I'd expect more for the ~$320 price considering you can get a Nikon 50ED body-only grey market off Amazon for $300. Of course, you'll need an eyepiece for the Nikon, but with a little patience, one can be found used for not too much (or new for $210).

I'm not tempted. The size of the smaller hummingbird is too close to my straight Nikon 50ED with 27x eyepiece (WF version, which is very compact ), a scope that I know delivers without compromise.

--AP

Last edited:
This review on Amazon says you can switch eyepieces.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Hummingbird-7-22x50mm-Birder-Friendly-52307/dp/B01FRAJXZ0?th=1

"I have a number of spotting scopes. Some are pretty expensive. This little Hummingbird 9-27x 56mm scope has been a pleasant surprise. The first thing that I discovered was that It has an eyepiece collette that allows the fitting of regular 1.25" telescope eyepieces. I don't think that this was covered anywhere in the documentation. I have only tried a few eyepieces, so am not ready to render an opinion as to how effective these are. Only impression I have so far is that, because of the short focal length, some eyepieces introduce a fair amount of field curvature. As far as the scope with the included zoom eyepiece, I am very happy. The images are clear and it handles all the powers well. This scope is the most compact of any that I own, weighing maybe a pound. But the images are bright and and it is easy to focus. This fills the next step up from a pair of binoculars and it can even be handheld, tho resting it against something or using a tripod are best. All in all, highly reccommended."

Recently I had the opportunity to shortly use both mini Celestrons. They look fine and the optical quality certainly was not bad considering the price. However, then I stumbled upon a Kowa TS-501, 420 grams and with very good optical quality, zoom range 20-40x and, what is for me more important, even with one hand very easy to use also with regard to focussing, due to the position and shape of the focussing wheel. In that respect it was even bettter/more attractive than the Celstron mins. So this scope could be added to posts 1 and 3.
I think that this Kowa scope could be a very good choice for everybody who wants to travel light and compact and it may also be a good choice for use on wild life obervations, although it is the angled version.
Gijs van Ginkel

Hi Gijs, I believe that is a rather old scope now and may be replaced with a tsn553/554 in the near future. The 500 series came with either the zoom (not so bright or wide at the top end) or a fixed 20x lens. I had the 501 with 20x lens when I was fairly new to birding about 15 years ago, and it was a perfectly serviceable little spotter. There was also a 504 which was the straight version with ED glass and the 20-40x zoom.
The ED50 is still the one to beat in my opinion, and can be picked up used for the same price as the Celestron scopes RRP.

Daniel, post 5,
You are right, the 500 series seems to be discontinued and I see no replacement yet from Kowa; I think that it is a real pity for lightweight travellers.
Gijs van Ginkel

It is a shame, but there are plenty of alternatives for the consumer. The opticron MM3 series are very popular, and with a plethora of eyepiece's (readily available unlike Nikon FS lenses!) they seem to be the best option at the moment. Vortex still makes a 50mm ED scope as well I believe. I'm surprised that Nikon dropped the ED50 as it was a hugely popular scope, and optically is still up there with the best - including larger scopes in good light.
If Celestron made a high spec version of the landscout I could see that being very popular. ED glass and the ability to take 1.25 eyepiece in a 1 kilo rubber armoured body for under £500 should do it.
Regards to new Kowa - the binomania website had some pictures of it from an optics show, perhaps it will appear in time for birdfair 2017...
All the best.

...I'm surprised that Nikon dropped the ED50 as it was a hugely popular scope, and optically is still up there with the best - including larger scopes in good light...

Though not as well supported with eyepiece choices in the USA (because its sister 60 and 82 mm scopes were dropped), to my knowledge the Fieldscope 50ED is still a current product and still in stock at the usual places. However, to get the best price (~$300), and to get my preferred eyepiece (27x), you've got to go grey-market and get direct from Japan, which is conveniently done by ordering through Amazon USA marketplace.

--AP

I was lucky enough to finf the smaller (50mm) Hummingbird under the Xmas tree last Sunday,lucky me !! I've not had time or opportunity to do a decent field test yet but first impressions are very favourable,it seems a well made bit of kit. I did try it out on our local reserve for a hours play. Using a very light Slik monopod it was a lovely lightweight combination and the viewing was very bright for 50mm. It will never replace our heavy full sized scopes but if any walking is required this may well be going with me. I also hope to try it out with an old Culman shoulder pod, certainly worth a look for any birder who,like me, hates carrying a scope tripod far from the car.

I got the Celestron scope, the 56mm version. It is a good scope, and instead of a monopod I picked the Amazon 50 inch lightweight tripod (just over 1 pound), very light, so much so that the lightweight tiny scope on top makes it a little top-heavy. I think it's the lightest tripod you can buy, it's only $17 right now.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-50-Inch-Lightweight-Tripod-Bag/dp/B00XI87KV8

It's head may not be the most fluid head, but it's good enough and the speed at which the legs can be folded in and out is much faster than my heavier tripod. It's also a bit short but with the neck extended I find it good enough (and I'm about 6 foot 3 inches). The setup is very light, definitely won't be annoying to carry around every time I go birding.

Last edited:
From what I have seen, the small Nikon scope would cost over 400 dollars used, and over 600 dollars new.

Currently, on Amazon, the scope body is available new grey-market direct from Japan for $300 (shipping included) and the 27x DS eyepiece is likewise available for $195.

--AP

As the eyepieces are interchangeable, I wonder how the 56mm would perform with a fixed 25x lens? Perhaps the performance would be optimised through the use of a prime lens?

I was lucky enough to find a 50mm version of the Hummingbird under the Xmas tree as a present from my wife. For me it is a great bit of kit and will get taken where my older "proper" scope never went. The Hummingbird is fitted to a Slik Slimpod and makes a very light combo that can be carried easily on a single sling type strap. Due to health and weather problems it has only been our half a dozen times so far but using it at a local raptor viewpoint ,near enough to the car to carry my bigger scope, it was quite easy to follow birds in flight. Only a couple of points,the marker on the zoom could be more evident (I put a sliver of silver duck tape on mine) and we find it impossible to zip the smashing little carrying case up,reckon they must have skimped on material.

This review on Amazon says you can switch eyepieces.

https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-Hummingbird-7-22x50mm-Birder-Friendly-52307/dp/B01FRAJXZ0?th=1

"I have a number of spotting scopes. Some are pretty expensive. This little Hummingbird 9-27x 56mm scope has been a pleasant surprise. The first thing that I discovered was that It has an eyepiece collette that allows the fitting of regular 1.25" telescope eyepieces. I don't think that this was covered anywhere in the documentation. I have only tried a few eyepieces, so am not ready to render an opinion as to how effective these are. Only impression I have so far is that, because of the short focal length, some eyepieces introduce a fair amount of field curvature. As far as the scope with the included zoom eyepiece, I am very happy. The images are clear and it handles all the powers well. This scope is the most compact of any that I own, weighing maybe a pound. But the images are bright and and it is easy to focus. This fills the next step up from a pair of binoculars and it can even be handheld, tho resting it against something or using a tripod are best. All in all, highly reccommended."

Confirmed recently that astro eyepieces can be used with this scope. I tried two eyepieces (20 mm plossl and 9 mm TMB planetary). The view through the planetary was very good, but the plossl could not reach infinity focus. Smyth lens on the planetary, maybe?

Rmel66.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back