• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

Bugger....its just been harassed by a small bird....gone off towards middle Oak and now I cannot find it.
Keith

Nice one Jason....Yes a scope is a good idea....I only have cheap bins and despite being able to get a fix most times when someone has kindly let me look through their scope ( everyone) the difference is remarkable.....like 3D. :t:

Nice set of shots btw Keith. I may way pop back there again in the week to see if the bird ventures any closer

Keith - just out of interest, as you're the local 'on-the-spot' bloke, not that i am suggesting it but are the people that are seen walking dogs etc over there adjacent to where the Shrike has been seen using a formal or informal path or just wandering about? It does'nt bother me as i do a lot of that sort of thing myself but obviously not in this sort of situation....

Laurie:t:

Laurie....As long as I have been coming here there has been a path up through the middle that goes to the copse and pond with a path from the gate along the line of the river Arrow up to the middle Oak where it carries on around the other side of the copse/pond.It also turns off left by the Oak and back down to the Arrow again.Out of sight of the road there are many paths at the back of the fishery and over to the canal.....also one from the canal to the top of fields by the pond again.
For a number of years the farmer used to mow the middle path and the one along the line of the Arrow but not for a couple of years....whereby they have become a lot less distinguishable - especially the one that follows the Arrow.
Added to all this they dropped the big log by the Gate to stop people getting vehicles in (nicking diesel).
Also there is a nasty piece of work - so called friend of farmer - who baits around the pond and shoots stuff and I saw him padlock the gate.....this lead to walkers -with or without dogs to climb over to get an entrance.
I have stated a lot at the field and on here that the public have access to it and the owners wife has pulled up and told the birders they can enter.

The dog walkers only ever use these paths as do I when I go in.....in fact I have kept the one by the Arrow open on my own the last couple of years.In the main dog walkers defence (not that he needs to justify his actions) he knew about the bird early on and has been using the bottom field a lot...at the moment you cannot get from one to the other as the river is to fierce unless you had good wellis/waders.

Hope this helps.......

Keith.:t:

p.s, the lock has been removed this week...same time my helpful notice went missing....and I have trimmed back the thorns so gate can open I can get in without climbing over.
PiC....one from August 2011 before the lock and log.

Attachments

• Evening Meadow.jpg
    Evening Meadow.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Hopwood, 22/02/2014

The GG Shrike showed somewhat distantly during the evening in the plantation field opposite the first layby as you come from the A441.
Matt

Saturday ...early morning.....see 2 posts above.

1 and 2..our old friend.
3.The "mystery" harasser - a Reed Bunting.
4.A woody was drumming in the far left trees and this one flew to congratulate it from over the road.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 34 015 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    2014 Canon 34 015 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 2014 Canon 34 017 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    2014 Canon 34 017 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 2014 Canon 34 031.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 34 031.jpg low.jpg
    517.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 2014 Canon 34 034 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    2014 Canon 34 034 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    434.6 KB · Views: 49
And over at a quiet Lower Bittell...
2nd day running theres a (Male ?) GCGrebe on mill shrub....a sign that pairing up and breeding is imminent.....they only use this to breed on.
Some Mallard in their usual trios and always chasing the female about.
A Buzzard gave itself away by swooping up into a tree then off straight away-once it saw me.

1.Grebe calling for a mate.....still at it in the afternoon as well.....where is she !!
2 an d 3 mallards..big one full frame as it chased the other 2.
4 Buzzard.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 34 052.jpg LOW.jpg
    2014 Canon 34 052.jpg LOW.jpg
    323.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 2014 Canon 34 041 A.jpgM LOW.jpg
    2014 Canon 34 041 A.jpgM LOW.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 2014 Canon 34 048 A.jpg
    2014 Canon 34 048 A.jpg
    368.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 2014 Canon 34 055.jpg low.jpg
    2014 Canon 34 055.jpg low.jpg
    405 KB · Views: 47
Nice shots Keith - i particularly like the one with grassy background and the bird centred - tho' the bird is small the composition works for me with plenty of background habitat......

Laurie:t:

Thanks.....like all togs I crop too close and end up with rubbish so decided to try a wider view as it was so far away.
Having sun helps.
Keith

He got in her bush.......

No Shrike sighting this morning in the gloom and at Lower it was like the North sea with a wild squall.
A bit calmer on Mill Shrub where the Grebe was still calling for a mate and a couple of sleepy female Pochard were present.

AS I was reaching back for the seat belt I saw a large bird with wings wide open then 1/2 closing them for a swoop into the trees on the right side shore.Jumped back out of car with bins and locked on a Buzzard low in a tree not far from yesterdays one.
Instantly the one I saw swooping came in and mounted his wife...... no chance to get the camera as he was on and off quicker than than a randy Buzzard....lol

Got to keep an eye on this in the future....
Keith :t:

!...Mrs buzzards still waiting......
2..2 sleepy women...it must be me.....they fell asleep minute later.

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 35 068 copy.jpg
    2014 Canon 35 068 copy.jpg
    363.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 2014 Canon 35 019 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    2014 Canon 35 019 A.jpg LOW.jpg
    549.8 KB · Views: 46
Live ... Shrike field....showing well with scope or bins to left of middle Oak in great light.
Keith

Last edited:
When I left for work at around 12.30 it looked like it might be coming closer.
Hope it did for the 2 chaps who were in the wrong place yesterday.One was down from Huddesfield and had to put up with my ramblings...lol
Keith

3 more 1st timer Shrike watchers today....One from I.o.W. via Daventry and a Man and Lady who cycled from Ledbury and going back on the train which left half hour or so to spot it....a lifer for them.
We all saw it in the middle distance....thanks to the I.o.W chap for letting us look through his scope.
Nowt around Lower Bittell due to gale and fisherman.
Keith

Went to see the Shrike again this morning.Luckily Keith was there and he found it and put me onto it.It was in one of it's usual spots in the tree a bit nearer to the canal bridge.

After Keith left it was on show nearly all the time up until when I left at midday but it was favouring the saplings right at the back of the big oak.

It seemed to be feeding well but it was hard to see clearly because of the distance.Still cannot get a decent shot.

Max.

Attachments

• IMG_3141.JPG
    IMG_3141.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 68
Hi Max....sorry I did not recognise you....old age....he he.
At least your saw it ...and doing natural things.
I have been over 100 times I suppose and only had it near enough to get a shot on a handfull of times.
If I could get it to come over to my whistle I would put my good teeth in and try it.
Keep at it.....
Keith

Excellent shot of a pellet being coughed up. Like birds of prey they disgorge bones and fur, probably vole fur as that seems its favourite prey.

Nice one Rich.....looks like it came close enough....and great timing to get that shot....I never thought about it doing that.
Keith

Nice one Rich.....looks like it came close enough....and great timing to get that shot....I never thought about it doing that.
Keith

Total fluke Keith. It vanished not long after you left and I hung around for about 40 mins with no sign and was about to go when it reappeared in the next field and then stayed around for another hour or so :)
Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Back