• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yongnuo YN-14EX Macro Ring Flash for Canon Cameras (1 Viewer)

davholla

I bought this in July and it has been fine. However on Sunday the batteries ran out and I recharged them and my spares. It is now unreliable it only works 25% of the time (and I am giving it plenty of time to recycle - about 5 seconds + between shots).

I have noticed this problem before with changing batteries.

I am using Eneloop Mignon and Ex-Pro batteries (I was using a mix which could have been part of the problem)

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I use a charger that fully discharges the cells before recharging and then reports the actual amount of charge taken by each cell. It will show up any cell that is functioning below the levels of the others. This happens depressingly often. It can be programmed to attempt to refresh poor performing cells but this only rarely brings about a worthwhile change. I have literally had a cell that has survived one use and refused to take a decent charge subsequently, other cells go on for ever (ish).
The other thing is to clean all contact surfaces from time to time.
Someone has asked this question on Amazon and a combination of the responses probably gives the easiest quick response. Try it with new identical alkalines, if it works reliably its probably the batteries you were using, if it doesn't its probably a faulty unit.

Last edited:
I use a charger that fully discharges the cells before recharging and then reports the actual amount of charge taken by each cell. It will show up any cell that is functioning below the levels of the others. This happens depressingly often. It can be programmed to attempt to refresh poor performing cells but this only rarely brings about a worthwhile change. I have literally had a cell that has survived one use and refused to take a decent charge subsequently, other cells go on for ever (ish).
The other thing is to clean all contact surfaces from time to time.
Someone has asked this question on Amazon and a combination of the responses probably gives the easiest quick response. Try it with new identical alkalines, if it works reliably its probably the batteries you were using, if it doesn't its probably a faulty unit.
Where did you get that charger from and more importantly what is called?

Technoline BL-700 Intelligent AA-AAA Professional Standard battery charger (UK Version) , from Amazon UK Marketplace seller 'BatteryLogic' at about £32 now (I bought mine from there without any problems). Mine has been in use for over 2 years with no problems so far. The controls are less than intuitive since there is only a limited time to set the thing up once you power it up. It does a few other useful things as well as those I first mentioned.
Read the reviews and q&As before you take the plunge. They are now calling it the 2015 model for some reason so it may have differences to mine, though it looks identical.

It was originally bought to charge and test 2 way radio batteries that could have been used for emergencies so it was important to trust the batteries.

Last edited:
Thanks, it seems to be working now, I wonder if it was not on properly or there was a bad battery.
I think I will need a charger that tells me which batteries are working and which are not.

I have the same charger as iveljay and my assessment agrees with his (including the less than helpful user interface). I've had some success in reviving flagging NimH rechargeables with the `refresh' option. I've used it for a similar amount of time.

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back