• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pied Flycatcher fail (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
On noticing unusual behaviour in our breeding Pied Flycatchers, we decided to check the nest today. We found several cold eggs and though the male has been constantly singing, there has been none of the usual coming and going to feed young and the female has hardly been seen at all.

The last 2 years they've fledged on 20th June so what's happened?

An inexperienced female, lack of food for the adults during a pretty cold spell leading to abandonment? I know some birds can delay incubation during cold spells but I think they've given up this year sadly.

One mystery remains however, last week I saw the female at the nest delivering food and was certain I heard young. There's no chance of predation at our box but it's too early for young to have fledged so what's happened?

If young perish in the nest, do the adults remove them?

Closer inspection has found a larger than average clutch of 8 eggs and reading 'The Pied Flycatcher' Lundberg and Alatalo, predation of the female seems the most likely reason or she abandoned through the male failing to feed her as she sat?

Andy

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back