• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ipod recording (1 Viewer)

Delia

I am thinking of buying a iPod touch for the various wildlife apps.
I have a sennheiser MKE 300 which I use on my camcorder can I record bird sounds using this on a iPod touch newest generation? Or is there a special adapter I wound need to get?
I know the iPod touch has a inbuilt mic but I like the quality of my external mic so it would be nice to be able to use it.
Thanks for any help.

The least you will need is a physical adapter like this The exact configuration of connectors will depend on what the mic has.

But iPod/iPhone/iPads are fussy about the mic level they get so you may need to by a pre amp like this

I record just with a standard unmodified iPhone. It picks up most sounds very will, including insect buzzing (cicadas and crickets). It does not work well in strong wind, however.

Certainly an external mic will help, though.

I record just with a standard unmodified iPhone. It picks up most sounds very will, including insect buzzing (cicadas and crickets). It does not work well in strong wind, however.

Certainly an external mic will help, though.
Maybe a furry windshield would help with the wind, although it might be hard to avoid covering too mich of the touch screen.

Do you use any particular app for recording?

Yes I use an app called Voice Record Pro. It is free, has ability to edit sound files, and can also upload to soundcloud.com among other sites. It suits my purposes very well.

I failed to record a sooty grouse that was booming just over my head last week. Came out entirely silent on tape. But anything would have trouble recording such low frequency.

James, thank you. I just downloaded the app and made a test recording. How do you get it to play back an unaltered version of the recording just made? And can it save so that my dropbox account pick up the saved file? I use the latest iPhone.

Niels

On the list of recordings you have made you can just tap them and press "play". Similarly if you tap the recordings there is an option to save to dropbox. You may have to link a dropbox account to do this.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back