• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I don't know much about bird houses! (1 Viewer)

I've been on a frenzy getting all my birding stuff and today I bought 2 bird houses. A wren house and a blue jay house. Should I even bother hanging them up in September? Will birds use them at all in fall/winter? I know they nest in spring but I'm just wondering if they would use them at all in winter to escape the elements. I'm pretty clueless on this subject 😀

Also, just out of curiosity, has anyone ever used a bat house? I saw one today while I was bird shopping and I thought it was really cool and seems fun. I don't know if there's bats around my house but I would assume so!

I found this

http://birding.about.com/od/birdhouses/a/Winterize-Your-Bird-Houses.htm

A few years ago I put a thick branch on a stand outside my patio window and it was fascinating to watch a Greater Spotted Woodpecker make a tennis ball sized hole in it even more amazing was the next day at dusk a Bluetit sheltered in the cavity overnight the next night the same thing happened with a Great Tit,
the next night these two were fighting each other about who should roost overnight.
It was a big disappointment when the next day the Woodpecker returned and made the cavity a lot longer and useless as a shelter.

Attachments

• MC0D5415acs.jpg
    MC0D5415acs.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I would absolutely hang them now. There are many birds and critters that could make use of habitat throughout the winter. You can always clean out the box in the spring if necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back