• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Winterwatch 2016 (1 Viewer)

The only thing that I was disappointed by Autumnwatch and I suppose it will be the same with Winterwatch is that there will be no live wildlife webcams from Arne running continuously during the day probably because of cuts the BBC has had to make over the last few years and the wildlife webcams via BBC's red button and the internet are liable to cuts like everything else at the BBC. Probably the only series with live webcams for the foreseeable future will be Springwatch and that makes me feel very very sad.
Ian.

Hope Unsprung will be back.

Looking at the schedule it doesn't look like Unsprung will be back just as the webcams aren't available for Autumnwatch or Winterwatch now. Probably because of all the General cuts at the BBC because of the license fee freeze, as wildlife programmes are prone to cuts just like everything else at the BBC, which is very sad.
Ian.

Decent stuff today I thought, fairly predictable array of species but some interesting facts for a range of consumer levels judging from what me and Marion took away from it. I was impressed with the well-marked fox, she liked the murmuration.

John

I too thought it was a good programme slightly different from the normal fare until we had yes you guessed it otters again which was really spoilt by probably the most monotonous commentary I 've heard since the last watch programme.
What is it with BBC cameramen they really shouldn't commentate, stick to taking film which as always is of high quality

I agree with that I actually find Otters bit boring now when I go to The Hebrides I tend not to look out for them if I do see one id be happy to watch them, probably would have been better if it was something different maybe Sea Eagle perhaps. I actually thought Martin was a bit better then normal.

I too thought it was a good programme slightly different from the normal fare until we had yes you guessed it otters again which was really spoilt by probably the most monotonous commentary I 've heard since the last watch programme.
What is it with BBC cameramen they really shouldn't commentate, stick to taking film which as always is of high quality

I found it an interesting item about passing on knowledge to the next generation. John Aitchison's calm style of commentary is very refreshing after the 'hyper' style of many modern speakers and presenters. Maybe it only seems boring because it's spoken in a quiet and, to many, old-fashioned, style. But then, I'm probably an old fuddy, duddy!

They obviously struggled tonight because of two days of fog, but they do keep interesting facts coming for the general wildlife watcher. Personally I use fox ear patterns rather than facial tear lines and suspect my system is more precise, but it does show the usefulness of imagery for comparative use especially with a range of variable features for identifying individuals and determining numbers being recorded.

John

I found it an interesting item about passing on knowledge to the next generation. John Aitchison's calm style of commentary is very refreshing after the 'hyper' style of many modern speakers and presenters. Maybe it only seems boring because it's spoken in a quiet and, to many, old-fashioned, style. But then, I'm probably an old fuddy, duddy!

Join the club, Mary! |:D|

Wish they would spread themselves around the country a bit more. I know they do articles/items from North of the border, but it would be good to see them base themselves for a whole series somewhere more northwards.

Vane Farm would be good, with easy access to Eden/Forth/Tay estuaries and Tentsmuir Forest with the Sea Eagles.

Winterwatch has been based in Scotland previously and choosing a northerly location gives a better chance of some 'proper' winter weather! Of course, a lot of wildlife - especially birds - move to somewhere a bit warmer to see-out the harsher months of the year and a southerly location must look good on paper, though you can't plan in advance for thick fog!!

I like the idea of a more central 'base' but with more 'roving-reporter' type features following the news of whatever's about - we do live in the instant information world of the internet after all.

They've certainly been and seen this winter's Waxwing invasion but, also on the birding front, there are some highly accessible Thrushes and rarer Divers 'available' and many birders often check out local reservoirs for rarer grebes, diving ducks, etc., amongst the many wildfowl, gulls, etc.

At the end of tonight's Winterwatch, it was announced that Springwatch would be in a new and exciting location. I wonder where it could be. Has anyone on these forums heard any rumours where the location could be.
Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back