• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need some help with a robin (1 Viewer)

The Nutcracker

Hi all,

Having a dilemma as I think a pair of robins might be nesting in a really bad place where the neighbours cat will surely get them. I'm a newbie with this sort of thing and not sure if it's kinder to scare them away in the hope they find somewhere better to nest. It is only today I have seen the female accompany the male (they were feeding together for a short while before flying into the small bush). Until now I have only seen the male hanging around (either near the bush or sometimes he accompanies the blackbird!). I don't usually know what goes on in the garden as I have only really just started watching and feeding the birds for a couple of weeks! Will the robins likely have eggs already?

Thanks for any advice, the cats are a real worry as they could walk right into the bush if they wanted to. :(

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from the entire staff here at BF :t:

These are just my thoughts but I would go ahead and look for the nest if possible to see if there are any eggs in it yet.
If not, I would just remove the nest or move it higher if possible. If there are eggs in the nest, I hesitate in telling you to move it as the adults may abandon the nest and eggs. This one is a toughie and we appreciate you caring about the wild birds. Do keep us posted on this.

Welcome!

The RSPB say this

Is it legal to move or destroy active birds' nests?

Almost certainly no. All birds their nests and eggs are protected by law: the Wildlife & Countryside Act of 1981. This makes it an offence, with certain exceptions, to deliberately take, damage or destroy the nest of any wild bird while it is in use or being built. It is also illegal to take or destroy the egg of any wild bird.

The RSPCA also has detailed guidelines about nests and nesting birds.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, that is a toughie.
The first thing you need to do is check there is a nest there. Until you know that then everything else is meaningless.
They may just be using the bush for cover or feeding.
If there's no nest there...then dilemma diverted!

But if there is...then that's a difficult one.
The philosopher inside me says it, and they, should be left. Those kinds of dangers and what may happen are all part of the reality of nature and what keeps the natural world in order. Humans should interfere less. It is that harshness and brutality that makes the natural world the fascinating and admirable thing it is.
In reality though? I probably would still leave it alone. If there are eggs in it then that's it - to tamper would be the death of the eggs anyway. If there are no eggs then I can see how it may be tempting, but, truth is, the robins themselves are probably in no more or less risk from predators - they face that everyday and when eggs have been laid one will always be on watch and if danger does come the adult birds would ultimately fly off.

Rotten truth is, whatever you decide to do will make no difference. Not really.
The only difference will be in how you feel. And how you feel about it doesn't necessarily make it 'right' or 'wrong'.
So leave alone and if the worst happens be philosophical about it.
Enjoy them whilst they are there and shoo the cat off if you see it, but accept those risks are what face every organism in the natural world and because it may make you sad or happy it does not give humans the right to interfere.

Robins do sometimes use an open-fronted nest box. Do you have a climbing plant, such as ivy, on a wall where you could fix a box? They might use it for a second nest later, or next year.

Robins have more than one brood in a year - I'm with humalk. Perhaps if the first eggs/chicks are taken they will not use the sight again?

Thanks for the replies, welcomes and suggestions. I haven't done anything/investigated futher and I'm leaning towards leaving the robins alone. The bush is low and there is a small wall next to it so I couldn't move a nest higher from danger anyway. The whole bush is open to danger really. I also don't have any climbing plants for nestboxes and I'm wary of encouraging birds to raise young near these cats. However, I would like to keep feeding the birds without worry that I'm leading them to their death!!! I will have to work on keeping unwanted guests out!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back