• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

info for a trip to Scotland in June (1 Viewer)

I think staying on North Uist would be better, you're close to the RSPB reserve.

Are you camping? You can pitch your tents in certain places on the reserve, check with the warden, he is very helpful. It was too windy when we were there, and the tents were suffering, so after one night we decamped to a wonderful hostel on Berneray: http://www.gatliff.org.uk/?page_id=9

I didn't want to leave there! You can't book in advance, so get there early and put something on a bed! Alternatively you can pitch a tent there.

I think staying on North Uist would be better, you're close to the RSPB reserve.

Are you camping?

No, we have way too much stuff (i.e. photographic gear etc) when we travel :eek!: |<|
I was looking at self-catering cottages, especially if we choose just one base as you suggest.

I have a crofter friend who lives on Lewis. I'll see what he thinks this afternoon and will get back to you.

I spoke to my friend and he recommends the Uig crossing. Leave plenty of time to get across Skye though, as road can get busy in holiday season. Whales/Dolphins/Porpoises a strong possibility on the ferry routes from Uig.

If heading to North Uist, the reserve at Balranald is good, but he also recommends you take a look at the machair lochs for waders. On Harris he recommends an area called Huisinish - Good possibility of Golden Eagle and more. On Lewis he recommends Tolsta Head for White-tailed Eagle and more.

Murmur: I think we’ll do both ferries, the Ullapool to Stornoway and then back to Uig, so we get to see Skye as well. Do you think we should go to Mull instead? I was very set on it, but the outer Hebrides are very tempting, both birdwise and for the scenery.

There isn't any scenery on the Uists; it's all on Lewis/Harris and is pretty breathtaking. Unfortunately the birds are on the Uists. For harriers and SE owls try the 'Committee Road' which is the small road that cuts across the moors in NW N.Uist. There's an obvious place to park; and you can watch from there.

You won't need a guide if you walk up Caingorm itself; the place is incredibly touristy and there's a track to the summit that no-one could miss. But you will need to start early, because the place is absolutely swarming with people by 9am. I have seen both dotterel and ptarmigan there, though nowadays I generally go to The Pass of the Cattle for ptarmigan; park at the top and walk up the track to the weather station. If you do choose Caingorm, you can get the train back down again, by the way :)

Thank you Alcina. how much time do you think we should allow on the Uists? I think we may spend one or two days on Lewis anyway, for the scenery etc.

Hi,

I'd agree with pretty much all of the above thoughts and suggestions. I've had several trips to the Uists and never been disappointed. (To my shame I've not yet been to Lewis or Harris, something I must remedy). The birders I've met up there have all been friendly and helpful and I'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction if there's anything you're particularly looking for. Corncrake may be difficult at that time, I'm not sure if they'll still be calling and they can disappear into the smallest patch of vegetation, but RSPB Balranald is probably the best place to try. Also, when you catch the ferry look in the harbours at Ullapool or Uig for Black Guillemot. They breed very close by and should be easy to find.

In addition to Gordon's book, Steve Duffield runs an excellent website http://www.western-isles-wildlife.com covering sightings of rarities as well as information on all aspects of wildlife for the islands.

Enjoy your trip, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

So. Based on your tips we are currently revising our itinerary. It seems that we have scrapped Mull (next time? ;)), we are spending less time in the Cairngorms (since we have seen the alpine species before), probably just passing through Lewis/Harris (maybe one night) and 5 days on the Uists. It remains to be seen what we do either at the start or at the end of the trip. We are debating between the Farne islands and the Isle of May, or maybe we'll just wander around the Highlands. Maybe go back to Gairloch, were we saw the WTE 12 years ago. Or maybe visit Edinburgh. I have been there before but not the other two. We'll see! So many birds, so little time!

:-O

I should have warned you about that ! I just knew that would happen!

Thank you Gordon. Very useful. Shame that we've already booked our accommodation in North Uist, or I would have added a day in Lewis as well!

Delia, eventually we only added one full day to our schedule. Altogether we'll have 15 days, so it's not bad, but I am sure that we could happily have spent twice as many!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back