• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with 990 ,please (1 Viewer)

christineredgate

Winner of the Copeland Wildlife Photographer of th
Is anyone out there using a 990 for digi scoping ?.I have bought a used one as a back up for the 4500,but cannot seem to sort out the settings,I cannot find half the menus.I have tried as far as possible to keep it to the 4500 settings as advised by Andy,but somehow the two sets of pictures seem to differ.It looks as though the 990 has too much light,or over/under exposure,not sure which is which.If anyone could print out the settings for me please,and how to get at them via the camera menus I really would be most grateful.
Will download a couple of pics from each camera.The 990 ones will be first.
Thankyou

Attachments

• 990 015.jpg-re size.jpg
    990 015.jpg-re size.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 990 017.jpg re size.jpg
    990 017.jpg re size.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 211
  • 4500 005.jpg-re-size.jpg
    4500 005.jpg-re-size.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 4500 008.jpg-re-size.jpg
    4500 008.jpg-re-size.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 224
hi christine,
i use the 990 as well as the 4500 for digiscoping. i find the 4500 to be a generally more contrasty camera. andy's settings are good for both cameras. i use low contrast on the 4500 and normal contrast on the 990 but the light in california is very different from yours so go with andy's settings. i don't think it possible to get the exact same photo with these two cameras as they are quite different in lens, software, and many other features. however, both have exposure compensation adjustments that can be use to brighten or darken a photo. the 990 manual is available for free download at nikon's support site. if you don't have the 1.1 firmware version in your 990, you can get that as well. i was very disappointed with the performance of this camera with the 1.0 version.the autofocus is much better with the 1.1 version.

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php

use the link to nikon then use the search function to get to the manual download. click the dropdown box "product" and select coolpix. click the "subproducts" dropdown box and click "coolpix 990". click the dropdown box "category" and select "coolpix 990 user guide". then hit search and the page will display that lets you select "download 990 user guide". its a 7.2 mb adobe pdf file. with the manual on your computer you can look up any menu item you need to check or set. use a similar search procedure if you need the firmware update.

alternately, www.dpreview.com has a 990 review that takes you thru the camera menus step by step.

regards,

richard

Last edited:
Thanks,Richard.I do actually have the manual,but cannot make a deal of sense of it,so may gotothe Dpreview page.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back