• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoviewer with Canon EF lens (1 Viewer)

WimDel

Europe
I want to use my Canon 300mm f/2.8 telephoto lens as a spotting scope, and would like to use a binoviewer with it, probably the Baader Maxbright. I’ve been searching the web and found some tutorials about converting your lens to a scope, but nothing about using a binoviewer with this setup. Has anyone tried this, is it physically possible? I know a need a barlow to get focus to infinity with one eyepiece (when using a 45° prism), but will this be sufficient when I use a binoviewer? Also, I want a magnification of 30x so with the 2X barlow in between I would need 20mm eyepieces, is that correct and what kind of eyepieces would you recommend? Preferably with a large afov. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks for the links, but they don't mention the binoviewer.
Because a binoviewer will not even come to infinity focus with a refractor telescope unless it has a custom short tube or optical corrector/barlow . A camera lens has even less to work with and will need custom optics to reach infinity focus.

Harry Siebert made me a custom 2" 1.3x barlow for my Celestron C6R 1200mm F8 scope so my binoviewer could reach infinity focus back in 2001 so you should call or email him and tell him exactly what you have and want.
http://www.siebertoptics.com/SiebertOptics-converters.html

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back