• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hmm. Interesting, and a little gruesome! (1 Viewer)

Zulu Merula

Blackbird's Momma!
The Blackbirds 3rd brood of fledglings are rampant in the garden right now. Today, my Dad spotted one with a 'really big worm' in its beak, retreating into the bushes. He went nearer to investigate, saying 'I don't think that is a worm...' At first he thought it was a baby mouse (we have a little mouse that regularly visits the garden). I went to look and saw it was a little bald nestling. Awww. There is a Dunnocks nest in the tree above where the Blackie was foraging, so I guess it must have fallen out. However, the Blackbird ATE it! It was already dead, mind, but I was surprised as I wouldn't have expected a Blackbird to eat a nestling. I hope it doesn't make him/her ill!

RichUK said:
You gotta love those proteins!

Rich.

Well, he certainly did! (I now know he's a male as he's been practicing his singing in that squeaky, cute new way they do when they're learning).

The other Dunnocks are now chirping quite loudly in the nest. At least the one that fell out was put to good use by nature!

Zulu Merula said:
The Blackbirds 3rd brood of fledglings are rampant in the garden right now. Today, my Dad spotted one with a 'really big worm' in its beak, retreating into the bushes. He went nearer to investigate, saying 'I don't think that is a worm...' At first he thought it was a baby mouse (we have a little mouse that regularly visits the garden). I went to look and saw it was a little bald nestling. Awww. There is a Dunnocks nest in the tree above where the Blackie was foraging, so I guess it must have fallen out. However, the Blackbird ATE it! It was already dead, mind, but I was surprised as I wouldn't have expected a Blackbird to eat a nestling. I hope it doesn't make him/her ill!

A good example of recycling.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back