• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Willow tit window strike (1 Viewer)

helenol

I was outside this morning, and a willow tit flew into the window. He lay on the ground stunned for 10 minutes or so, then promptly proceeded to fly at the window again!

He was ok, and started calling out, sitting on the fence, then flew off into the tree.

I am 100% certain it is a willow tit, by the nasal sounds of his call as he sat on the fence just 2 feet infront of me.

Attachments

• Titcopy.jpg
    Titcopy.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 176
  • titcopy2.jpg
    titcopy2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 185
  • titonfence.jpg
    titonfence.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 216
Hi Helen,

Are you absolutely sure this is a willow tit? The marsh tit also has a nasal call in addition to the pitchoo call. They can be confused.

To me (and I have to say I haven't seen a willow tit in years - they are virtually extinct in Kent) this looks like a marsh tit. No wing bars, small bib, doesn't have the bull neck of willow tit. I'd be interested to hear what an expert thinks.

It's always much easier when it's a live bird and not a still photo but this birds looks like a Marsh Tit. One feature alone might not be enough to clinch the id but this bird has no pale panel on the wings, a small bib, neat glossy cap and generally is quite a miniuitive bird, not the butch bird that Willow Tit is.

rats Birdman posted a really good picture of a Willow Tit in one his threads. It had a really big bullneck.

Last edited:
I thought it might be a Marsh tit as well-essentially for the reasons above. Willow tits are Desperate Dan tits -check the window-if there's no crack it's a Marsh tit. ;)

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/

This is the site where I listened to the calls of the marsh and willow tit. The birds call was absolutely 1 million % willow tit.

The collins book, incidently, says that the pale panel on secondaries can occasionally be lost on summer adults through abrasion.

By the way, am I looking at a juvenile, or an adult?

Thanks.

OK- sorry to doubt you. I know that many willow tit sightings in Kent have been discounted because of the similarity of the marsh tit other call. Pity that site doesn't have it. I think the Birdguides CD's do.

robinm said:
OK- sorry to doubt you. I know that many willow tit sightings in Kent have been discounted because of the similarity of the marsh tit other call. Pity that site doesn't have it. I think the Birdguides CD's do.

Robin, I am in doubt now. I was so certain it was the willow!

Also, bear in mind I am living in the middle of woodland in the countryside. Im going to check the gallery, see what's there....back in a while. :D

Marshy again for me Helen

for reasons given above
plus flanks are pale

Marsh can show slight panel but it's very unusual for Willow not to...
so in field it's easier to think Marsh has a pale panel than willow doesn't if you see what i mean.....looks a fat thing in one pic though

the photo is 'blown out' a bit. Never like id from pix.....try and see it again and have a good look at panel and bib shape, cap glossiness or not, flank colour and call.

Last edited:
Hi Helen. Sorry, but Marsh for me too. As Robin pointed out, Marsh also has an "eez eez eez" call which isn't given on the website link you gave above, but which does sound very much like the Willow Tit call there. The bird in pic 3 doesn't have anything like the bull-necked shape of Willow.

Tim Allwood said:
Marshy again for me Helen

for reasons given above
plus flanks are pale

Marsh can show slight panel but it's very unusual for Willow not to...
so in field it's easier to think Marsh has a pale panel than willow doesn't if you see what i mean.....looks a fat thing in one pic though

the photo is 'blown out' a bit. Never like id from pix.....try and see it again and have a good look at panel and bib shape, cap glossiness or not, flank colour and call.

phew I'm not going mad!!

H - check out the birdguides DVD very helpful on calls and the like.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back