• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Great Blue Heron with a grey beak? (1 Viewer)

Morag2

I have been searching some of my old pictures and trying to identify them. So I found 3 pictures of 3 different Heron's, but all similar looking. They seem to be Great Blue Heron's... except for one problem they have no "Yellow Daggerlike Beak". They have grey beaks.

Can Great Blue's have grey beaks or are they always yellow? If these are not GBH's then what are they?

P.S. - Taken in summer in South-Western Canada (2 on the coast, 1 about 800 miles inland.

Attachments

• Heron on the Driftwood(small).jpg
    Heron on the Driftwood(small).jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Proud Heron(small).jpg
    Proud Heron(small).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 120
  • Silent Hunter(crop).jpg
    Silent Hunter(crop).jpg
    365.8 KB · Views: 91
Dave B Smith said:
Center bird is a juvenile and they have a darker bill. Can't say for sure on the others. Yes, they are GBH's.

Thanks, I appreciate it. And if that bird was a juvenile last year when I took the shot... I look forward to finding it this year! :)

Morag2 said:
Thanks, I appreciate it. And if that bird was a juvenile last year when I took the shot... I look forward to finding it this year! :)

I'm gonna say... wear and tear? First of all, no two GBHs are going to be picture-perfect - plus, it's more useful to look at how heavy the bill is than the coloration from a certain angle with possible weird sunlight, anyway. Your first pic is backlit, so it's not easy to make color judgements there, and your third pic is, well, at least a little yellow.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back