• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dslr bird video thread (1 Viewer)

Rob do you have a video where you were using the rode mic on the hotshoe?
Im just wondering what that sounds like, I remember you said you can still hear the IS motor but was wondering just how bad it was with the mic up there.

Cheers

i dont but it is bad and not worth thinking about the mic has to be away from the camera if using IS .
the mic is very sensertive and when on the 7d it puts it right over the IS motor picking up a constant graiting sound.
Rob.

if your using windows you could use movie maker that comes free with it
then when your done save it as a .h264 (mp4) file at around 5000kbps.
Your probably best loading to youtube as its relatively quick in showing the video.
Vimeo is only better when you pay for their service.

Looking forward to your Bittern video.

Thanks for the advice.Other posts have put me off using Windows Movie Maker and You Tube as the the video quality is reduced? I will have another go.

Max

Thanks for the advice.Other posts have put me off using Windows Movie Maker and You Tube as the the video quality is reduced? I will have another go.

Max

Yes, that was partly me I think! I had problems with XP movie maker. (Windows vista / 7 Movie maker seems to be better.)
I also got better results with Vimeo compared to youtube.

However, it is worth experimenting yourself, and letting us know if it was just me.

Yes, that was partly me I think! I had problems with XP movie maker. (Windows vista / 7 Movie maker seems to be better.)
I also got better results with Vimeo compared to youtube.

However, it is worth experimenting yourself, and letting us know if it was just me.

Here is my first video with the 7D.Don't all laugh!!!! Totally unedited so warts and all.The jump in the middle is were I took a still shot.Quality has deteriorated a fair bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFKcWwp8kQo

Max.

So if you don't have IS like on the 400mm f5.6 your quids in...

lol yes but i have the mic on a boom :) or i could turn IS off .

eddit i did not make it clear who shot the vid sorry.

Max
nice Bittern vid getting him as he crossed in the open like that.
Rob.

Last edited:
Thanks for the kind comments re. the Bittern video.It makes me wonder how good it could have been if I'd known what I was doing and I'd used a tripod.

Max.

Another Bittern video.A bit better than the last one but not much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mps1aQVQZGU

A couple of queries : -

* When I've downloaded a video from the camera there are 2 folders one with the same number but with the suffix THM.What is this?

* I cannot seem to open a video in Windows Video Maker.I keep getting a window "not a supported file".Any advice?

Max.

The thm file seems to be a jpg thumbnail from the movie. It holds the exif data so is quite important.

Which video cant movie maker open ? the original from the camera or the exported video after editing?

ps. Love the bittern video. Super sharp.

The thm file seems to be a jpg thumbnail from the movie. It holds the exif data so is quite important.

Which video cant movie maker open ? the original from the camera or the exported video after editing?

ps. Love the bittern video. Super sharp.

The original from the camera.

Max.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back