• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D batteries (1 Viewer)

The gaffer

Enthusiastic amateur
Does anyone know if you can charge a Canon LP-E6 battery on a non-Canon battery charger?

My reason for asking is I have two Canon batteries for my 7D and thought it would be a good idea to buy a car charger for when I am away on holidays, etc. Imagine my suprprise when I found what I was after a canon CBC-E6 car charger for.......... well over £100:eek!::eek!:

I thought this must be a mistake or perhaps you get a free battery but no this is the price of the charger!!

So that got me thinking about non-Canon chargers from e-bay and hence my question above.

Thanks

Brian

Does anyone know if you can charge a Canon LP-E6 battery on a non-Canon battery charger?
Brian

Yes I think you can. Most of the e-bay ones advertise the fact you can charge the original Canon battery in the 3rd party charger but not the the way round.

Yes I think you can. Most of the e-bay ones advertise the fact you can charge the original Canon battery in the 3rd party charger but not the the way round.

Have you tried this and does the camera still get the charge level information from the battery?

Brian

I purchased this lot the other day, the charger looks similar to most sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280479513364&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The seller states:-
[For Travel Charger]
* DC Output : DC 8.4V
* AC Input : 100v-240v~50/60Hz
* Net Weight: 124g
* Specially designed for this Replacement battery for Canon LP-E6. Cannot charge the original one.
* Lights will turn green when battery is fully charged.
* Overcharging Protecting
* With UK lead and Car charge

You could always get a Power Inverter like this Belkin AC Anywhere:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-AC-Anywhere-Power-Inverter/dp/B000HEYTR4/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_0

I purchased this lot the other day, the charger looks similar to most sold on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280479513364&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The seller states:-
[For Travel Charger]
* DC Output : DC 8.4V
* AC Input : 100v-240v~50/60Hz
* Net Weight: 124g
* Specially designed for this Replacement battery for Canon LP-E6. Cannot charge the original one.
* Lights will turn green when battery is fully charged.
* Overcharging Protecting
* With UK lead and Car charge

You could always get a Power Inverter like this Belkin AC Anywhere:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-AC-Anywhere-Power-Inverter/dp/B000HEYTR4/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_0

Nick,

Thanks for that, as I suspected you cannot charge a Canon battery from a cheap charger.

That Belkin Inverter is a good idea as it has so many possible applications.

Brian

The first one I clicked on after a search for on e-bay suggests that you can charge the original. Note the price. $20.75 for TWO batteries plus charger and car adapter.

I just checked the seller where I bought mine and it doesn't mention if you can charge original Canon batteries or not. I seem to recall it said on the box it was OK (I threw the box away though). But after Nick's comments above I'm not going to risk it...........

I have 2 Canon batteries and 1 e-bay one. To be honest I only got the 3rd party as a 'spare spare', in the car for emergencies only such as going out in winter and leaving my spare Canon one at home. It cost me about $15 for battery plus charger. For emergency use only it's a steal.

Aside from inserting it to check it worked I haven't used it yet. The battery life on the originals is so good I haven't had to.

That Belkin adapter looks nice, I'll have to find a similar one to use here next time I go to the electrics store.

Last edited:
It says on the ad that it is a GENERIC battery and I don`t think it will charge on a Canon charger.

It says on the ad that it is a GENERIC battery and I don`t think it will charge on a Canon charger.

I think the OP wanted to know if he could charge a Canon battery on a generic charger, not the other way round.

I remember when I got my 7d I was looking into weather you could charge a after market battery in a Canon charger and came up with not possible, but the poster is asking "Does anyone know if you can charge a Canon LP-E6 battery on a non-Canon battery charger?" I suppose the answer is the same not possible, but until you try you wont know for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back