• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Operation Migration 2015 (1 Viewer)

01/25/2016—Day 103 of the Fifteenth Year

They were down today. First, they report down; then, stubbornly, wanted to feel it for themselves.
Day 103 – No Fly Day

Winds at 1000 ft are blowing at 14 mph and are directly from the south. We’ll be staying put in Decatur County today.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/25/day-103-no-fly-day/

Day 103 – Update!

Pilots have decided it’s worth putting an aircraft up to check conditions firsthand.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/25/day-103-update/

Day 103 – Officially Down

Winds aloft proved too strong. At altitude Richard was only getting 12 mph ground speed, which would have made for a 2+ hour flight to Leon County.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/25/day-103-officially-down/
So now you get the gist of what happened today; but Brooke was the lead pilot yesterday, and in the words of Elton John, Brooke (who I know won’t) and Bird Forum (who I hope won’t), for sake of posterity, I hope you don’t mind.

The Last Waltz
by Brooke Pennypacker
January 25, 2016

“Well, we’ve just enjoyed having you here so much, we can’t wait to see you next year,’’ the elderly lady said as I pumped the gas into her car from a tank beside her barn. Just beyond, out in her pasture, our birds were roosting in their pen for the ninth night. The evening wind blew cold and harsh but they were safe… just as I had been, with my camper tucked in her the barn, the one she and her late husband had built so long ago, and plugged into her electricity on the farm she and her son kept alive despite the economic realities and uncertainties all farmers face. “Have to go to the bank today,” her son told me the day before, wearing a brave but resigned smile. “Crop yields were good this year but those prices were just too low.”

And that’s when I heard myself reply, “There’s not going to be a next year, ma’am. This is it. They gave us the word this morning.” There. I said it. And saying it somehow made it true. We had known for months now it was coming and the cloud of its reality had hung heavily over us the entire migration. But denial is a wonderful friend. Karl Marx said religion is the opiate of the people. He was wrong. It is denial, which has been described as hope spelled backwards. Whatever, the words had a surprisingly bitter taste. “Well, I’m sorry to hear that,” the lady replied, ”but I just know you’ve had such wonderful experiences and they’ll be more waiting for you down the road. That’s the way life is.”

The war may be over, but there are still battles we must fight as the next morning we readied our ultralights for the next leg of migration. Richard and I dressed against the low temperatures. It would be Richard’s first flight of the migration because of his sculpture commission in Canada delay and after almost thirty years of working on these bird projects, this would likely be his last. Joe would sit this one out, riding instead, in the tracking van with Jeff. The past week had been especially brutal for Joe.

A small crowd of supporters began to form in the Georgia predawn as the two big crop dusting airplanes seemed to look on in silence at the edge of the airfield.

Two documentary film makers, heavy cameras at the ready, arrived to capture the effort. They had just finished a fantastic documentary on the tall pine forests of the southeast U.S. and the critical part this played in the country becoming what it is today. Their plan was to film our project for an entire year and we recognized them right away as two people who really cared.

Our trikes were safely housed in the hanger of a local crop duster who, in the last 10 days of our stay here, had become our friend. Crop dusting is the most difficult and demanding flying there is. Yanking and banking a heavily loaded airplane a few feet off the ground in the hot Georgia sun from sun up to sun down, day after day is nothing short of Herculian. Few of us ponder the thought, in our day-to-day lives, that without them and the farmers whose fields they toil above, we wouldn’t eat. Yet our societies’ heroes are sports figures messing about with balls of various geometries and Wall Street Wonders who grow rich producing absolutely nothing. Go figure!

Soon Richard and I are in the air, which greets us with lumpity bumpy, lift and drop suggestions of a difficult flight ahead. Still, we feel the pressure to go and it overcomes our foreboding. Colleen and Heather swing open the pen gates and the birds burst skyward for the first time in ten days. “Let the Rodeo begin!” the fates announced, and it did. One step forward and two back… the dance of our seemingly obligatory rodeo… as the birds got dutifully on the wing only to break off and head back toward the pen as the sweat began to soak through my layers of “Skywear”. They didn’t seem to appreciate the choppy air or my encouraging words, “Hey girls… rough air is better than no air at all!”

To further enhance the adventure, these birds just don’t like to climb. Like every person and every snowflake, every bird is different, each with its own form and personality. But every year’s class of birds is also different. Some refuse to fly over major highways. Some stick to the trike like Velcro and climb like scalded dogs. And some, like these little guys, just don’t like to climb. So climbing out of the trashy lower altitudes and over obstructions is a challenge. Then when you get them just high enough to escape the threats, they drop back down and down you have to go to begin the fight all over again. Of course, sometimes you can’t really blame them. I mean, following an ultralight in a trashy sky is like following a drunk, drugged, coffeed out, texting driver down the highway. And for the pilot, all you can hear are the words of the old pilot’s adage ,”It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than in the air wishing you were on the ground.” And, of course, the hands of the clock always seem to barely move at such times. Then there is that new hurdle. Somewhere way back in the recesses of your mind, you now know the war is already over, which adds to the challenge.

Like a frustrated school teacher who must teach to the slowest student, we must fly to the slowest bird… in this case, #11-15. But his sometime lack of energy is understandable since because it’s not easy being the only male surrounded by 5 females. I asked him one time how things were going and he replied, “Does the name Custer mean anything to you?” Most of us guys, if we’re lucky and attached, wake up in the morning to only one “Honey Do List”. He wakes up to five. It’s a wonder the poor little fellow has the energy to walk let alone fly! During the flight, he continues to drop and I drop everyone down to pick him up until it becomes clear that once again I must let him go and be picked up by the chase pilot… in this case Richard. Soon, Richard has skillfully picked him up from just off the deck and led him to a safe recovery point; in this case a landing strip where he is quickly boxed up by Joe and Jeff and loaded into the van for the trip to the pen. Meanwhile, we press on the last 7 miles to the destination.

“Can you fly the birds over my mother-in-law’s house?” the kind and generous farmer who worked so hard to level and groom a landing strip for us between his pecan trees asked the week before. “She’s 92 years old and it would mean a lot to her to see the birds.” “I’ll sure try.” I replied. And so we did, and landed more happily than usual at the strip he had so kindly prepared. The pen awaited, already set up the week before.

Any relief or fatigued satisfaction I might have felt was displaced with the magical sight of the birds standing so close to the trike they were actually rubbing against it, looking at me with an intensity I had never seen before. Their collective gaze was so direct and connecting that I thought at first my helmet might have fallen off and they could finally see… after all these flights, after all these years, who I really was. I just sat in the magic of the moment, trying to savor it, to understand it, to cherish it. It would likely be my last lead. And though there were two more flights to go, I recognized that this was the end of a very long chapter in my life. I couldn’t help but get the feeling that somehow the birds knew it too. Then, the spell was broken by the words of the Robert Frost poem. “We have promises to keep. And miles to go before we sleep.”

But, as in Robert Frost’s poem, “We had promises to keep. And many miles to go before we sleep.” Soon, the birds followed me into the pen, the hot wire was run around it and Joe and Jeff arrived with the two boxed birds, #11-15 and #2-15 who was boxed prior to takeoff because of her propensity to lead the others back to the pen after takeoff. The two reunited with their friends as Joe and Jeff got back on the road and I got back into the air for the short hop over to a nearby landing strip.

There are milestones in every life when one can easily become lost in an overwhelming tsunami of reflection. Reflections are therefore best consumed over time in small bites if there is to be any hope of achieving true clarity and meaning. What is clear is that the birds possess the incredible power to connect and those connections form the foundation of all that we have experienced and achieved. Perhaps it all boils down to the words of the poet Robert Browning when he wrote:

“Ah, but a man’s reach should exceed his grasp… or what’s a heaven for.”
Time will tell.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/25/day-102-lead-pilot-report-the-last-waltz/
Your Song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTa8U0Wa0q8

01/27/2016—Head Winds

Winds this morning are from the south – both aloft and on the surface.

We will be standing down for another day.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/27/day-105-south-winds/

Joe’s turn:

Milestones
by Joe Duff
January 27, 2016

In some ways I am almost glad this migration has taken so long. If it had ended in December like most of them, we would not have the opportunity for one last flight with our beloved birds.

As I pass the milestones of my life, I try to take a moment to capture a mental image that I can take with me. Memories are the best souvenirs. I need to savor one more flight to set that picture in my mind and place it next to the image of my daughter on her first day of school and the look in my wife’s eyes when we were married.

It’s been 23 years since I first shared calm air with a flock of birds. I have looked over my shoulder at four different species as they look back at me for guidance. I have been allowed to share their social structure and been granted access to their culture. The only way to get closer to being a bird would be to grow feathers. It has been an honor and a life-changing ride and surely my most rewarding and punishing experience.

There is an unexplainable camaraderie that leaders of birds share with their charges at a thousand feet. It is beyond my talents to describe and past the ability of even the best cameras to capture — and maybe even beyond the capacity of words.

My older brother recently retired after a long career as a bush pilot. He once told me that two bad things can happen to a pilot and one of them eventually will. You can walk out to an aircraft and know it’s your last flight. Or you can walk out to an aircraft not knowing it’s your last flight.

I would rather know this is my last flight with birds than let it pass unnoticed sometime last month.

I suspect that last flight will be filled with radio silence, each of us lost in our own thoughts creating that lifelong mental image.

I just hope I can see through the tears.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/27/milestones/
"Time on my hands could be spent with you."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6KYAVn8ons

Last edited:
01/28/2016-Rain

Even though winds have swung around and are now from the north, we won’t be going anywhere today due to rain showers in the area.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/28/day-106-rain/

The Apalachee Audubon Society has invited Joe Duff to speak at their meeting this evening. The meeting starts at 1930 hours Eastern. That’s about thirty minutes from now. You can watch it here: http://operationmigration.org/cranecam.asp

For now, though, it’s Jo-Anne’s turn.

Driving Miss Crazy
by Jo-Anne Bellemer
January 28, 2016

As most of you are aware by now, #2-15 was being boxed before the last couple of flights and then joined me in the Jamboree RV for the ride to the next stop. We’ve developed quite a nice friendship riding together and it’s gotten to the point where we can complete each other’s sentences.

The only thing we differ on is the definition of acceptable room temperature. She likes it very cold and I, like some, like it hot. She convinced me that we’d be in Florida soon and I’d have plenty of hot, so for now, it’s only fair to have it cold. So we ride along with the A/C cranked on high and she’s happy as a clam.

#2 and I have had some serious telepathic discussions about the problems she’s had flying with the rest of the cohort and the trike. She (telepathically) explained that they’re just too slow and #1 keeps getting in her way. I (telepathically) tried to point out that migration is a team sport and that there’s no “I” in team but, like most super athletes, she has an ego that won’t quit. I also suggested that she at least pretend to be coach-able. I may have pushed our relationship too far with that comment because she simply harumph’d and didn’t (telepathically) talk to me for the rest of that drive. I was a little miffed at the silent treatment and almost turned the heat on because my feet were freezing!

That’s my fantasy. The real story is that she rides along without a peep (or a gronk). And it’s also true that my feet were freezing.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/28/driving-miss-crazy/

01/30/2016—Leon County, Florida

There was a successful flight today. They made it to their last stop before St. Mark’s: Leon County, Florida.

01/30/2016—Official and Lead Pilot Report on Today’s Flight

ALL six Whooping cranes flew with him this morning to Leon County, Florida. (Yes! even #2-15 made the flight!)
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/30/day-108-florida/

Activate the above link and see the photo of all six birds leaving Decatur County, GA. In the second pic, although it could be only a shadow of the five in view, I’m betting and hoping that the shadow is Number Two.

Richard’s turn:

Dedicated Lead Pilot Report
by Richard van Heuvelen
January 30, 2016

On a late August afternoon in 1997, he walked into the shop on Purple Hill. He was clean-cut, with a slightly scruffy beard and a mile wide smile. Geordie Lishman and I were working on a large commission for his father, Bill Lishman – a large 20-foot-high now-extinct Toltan bear dog. When Dan walked into the shop, his enthusiasm for what we were doing was contagious, the compliments and his interest keen. With his off-hand remarks and wry humor, we became instant friends!

He was there to work on an ultralight-led experiment with Sandhill cranes. A precursor to what would become the Whooping crane migrations. On that fall migration, his sense of adventure was immediately apparent – he was always ready to go for a hike, fishing and had a friendly interest in the locals wherever we went.

On one stop, in a place called Trout Run, Dan and I decided to go for a hike at dusk. The mountains rose high around the valley we were in as darkness fell. We wandered across a pasture when suddenly a loud neighing and dark shadow came running at us and we near jumped out of our skin. It’s only a horse I told Dan, but he was not reassured as the horse approached us aggressively. Fortunately, I heeded his example and was over the fence right behind Dan as the clearly offended, large and angry horse ran up to us. This would be the first of many adventures with horses and many other creatures, things, and people we would have.

That first year in Wisconsin, I would only participate in the migration beginning mid-October. Dan had his two best friends, Jim and Mike, drive him out to Wisconsin for yet another adventure. We all arrived the same day and made our way to the nearest bar for 75 cent beers (wow)! There, Dan formally introduced us, saying, “Be nice, Richard will become a good friend.” That was Dan, always witty, charming and funny.

Dan passed away suddenly this past August, leaving a large hole in everyone’s lives that knew him.

Today, I had the opportunity to lead Whooping cranes for the very last time. As the birds glided along off my left wing, I began to think of a lot of things that have happened over the 25 years I have been involved in bird migration.

Mostly, I thought of Dan and began to feel his presence. It was like he was in the back seat of the trike with me, flying along with me and six cranes for my final Whooping crane flight… Cheering me on, saying this is so cool, I can’t believe I’m doing this!

I can’t believe he’s gone and I dedicate this last flight to him.

Thank you for the good times. I love you buddy.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/01/30/dedicated-lead-pilot-report/

A funeral for a friend, while love lies, bleeding, in his hands:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z314pQhLb2Q

02/01/2016—The Wind Map, the Moon, and the Clouds Said No

When woke up this morning, I immediately activated the wind map I use: http://hint.fm/wind/
It measures surface winds, and Leon County, Florida was experiencing, roughly, four-miles-per-hour winds from the south. A couple of hundred miles to the north, winds were blowing briskly from the north. I could actually see a distinct battle line where the two winds met.

Four hours later, in Jeffersontown, Kentucky, the winner of the battle was evident: https://www.flickr.com/photos/thelouisvillecardinal/24643878072/in/dateposted/

The warm air (rushing up from the Gulf of Mexico) had pushed the cold air (meandering down from Canada) several hundred miles back up north to my neck of the woods; and although no Whooping Crane would ever fly into that, my wishful thoughts saw a silver lining like a sign of spring.

Down

There is no need to put a trike up this morning.

All we have to do is look up at the moon and we can see the clouds passing by from the south at a good speed.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/01/day-110-down/

02/02/2016—Fog Low and Wind High

Winds, at 1000 ft., are blowing from the southeast at 17 mph. Here, on the ground at St. Marks, we have very thick fog.

Down for another day.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/02/day-111-going-nowhere/

Please note that the class of 2015 is in Leon County, Florida: twenty-eight miles from St Mark’s.

Sadly, Another Loss

Last week we received news that there had been another crane predated at St. Marks NWR. This time it was 9-14 – a slightly older (by two days) sister to 10-14, whom was predated January 1st.

Both were heavily scavenged but tracks in the area indicate a bobcat was the culprit in both cases.

The team is taking advantage of the downtime this week to attempt to capture the bobcat and release it elsewhere….
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/02/sadly-another-loss/

Last edited:
02/04/2016—Thunder Storms and Strong Winds from the North

Storms began last night around 8 pm and continued throughout the night with incredible thunder and lightning.

The rain is beginning to taper off as the front moves northeast, however, strong winds continue.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/04/day-113-down/

A little good news:

Winter Release Pen Visitors

This morning Disney’s Scott Tidmus went out to track the four adult Whooping cranes, which are still on the St. Marks Refuge.

They gave him the slip for much of the morning but before giving up, Scott decided to check the pen area one more time, which paid off. (See pics.)
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/04/winter-release-pen-visitors/

02/06/2016—Day 115 of the 15th Year Ends It All with a Thud

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright;
the band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light,
and somewhere men are laughing, and somewhere children shout;
but there is no joy in Mudville — mighty Casey has struck out.
—Ernest Thayer

No Go

Unfortunately winds proved to be too strong this morning so we’re down.

With no decent weather in the foreseeable future and not wanting to delay the migration any longer, we’re going to crate the young Whooping cranes the remaining distance.
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/06/no-go-3/

Blame it on the wind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8x9oNZ7CcI

Last edited:
02/06/2016—The Last Lead Pilot Report

Final Lead Pilot Report – Ever…
by Joe Duff
February 2, 2016

Today it was my turn to lead the final flight into St Marks NWR. But just as the weather has robbed us of so many days on this migration, it also cheated me out my last opportunity to fly with birds – ever.

Instead of a BANG – 23 years of hard work and sacrifice ended with a whimper.

[…]

The airstrip is in the middle of a forest so it was fairly calm on the surface. But as soon as we cleared the tree tops, the cross wind hit and turned the trikes sideways. The air was rough and it took full force on the control bar to keep it level.

[…]

We tied down the trikes, drove to the pen and began the sad process of boxing them for the last 25 miles.

[…]

So that’s it. Our careers as avian aviators has ended. The ultralight method was crucial to establishing the core population. We have a hundred birds migrating in the eastern flyway.

[…]

It’s the proper thing to do but somehow it should have ended differently. There should have been clear skies, a colorful sunrise and a string of courageous birds off my wingtip. But nature doesn’t work that way and I should have known better…
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/06/final-lead-pilot-report-ever/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ

02/08/2016—One Last Thing

Just a Song Before I Go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YGTPvDoJyM

Out of six boxes, they flew in by themselves. See pics:
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/07/st-marks-arrival-photo-round-up/

Heather’s turn.

Carry On…
by Heather Ray
February 8, 2016

The 2015 southward aircraft-guided Whooping crane migration is complete. It was the longest yet at 115 days due to rain. South winds. Politics.

Fitting perhaps, for as everyone now knows, it is the last.

18 years ago I first volunteered to work with Operation Migration. I had no idea what talents I could bring but they welcomed me. I had come from a radio background and what place in Whooping crane conservation might that even be somewhat helpful?

Back then, OM was still working with Sandhill cranes and I fell in love with them. Quickly.

I began writing posts about our work online and people became engaged. Interested. Craniac’s were born!

I’m often asked if “what is your most memorable experience”? After 18 years, how can I possibly choose just one?

I had the opportunity to work with some incredibly dedicated and passionate people. The honor and privilege of working with some pretty amazing birds. To do something good for the environment. To try to undo some of the damage our predecessors unknowingly did to our natural world.

Our volunteers and supporters made this all possible. We could not have accomplished this without you. Your generosity, kindness and encouragement lifted spirits and instilled hope. Friendships were made. With you, we celebrated the successes and mourned with the losses.

To the many school teachers who followed along throughout the years and introduced this project to your students. They. Will. Remember.

And of course the Whooping cranes – Regal. Noble. Majestic. Magnificent.

Fly free my feathered friends. Live long. Carry on…
http://operationmigration.org/InTheField/2016/02/08/carry-on/

Carry on…
https://vimeo.com/49388269

THE END

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back