• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

E U and Illegal Hunting in Malta (1 Viewer)

A CHAPLIN

Hi Folks,

At last I am able to report that the E U Environment Directorate are having a meeting next Monday 15 January in Brussels to discuss the Maltese hunting issue and have invited representatives from BirdLife Malta and from the Federation for Hunting and Conservation to attend. The full article can be read at:-

http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=248457

I hope this means that action will now be taken to ensure safe passage for all birds on their spring migration and to stop the illegal trapping and slaughter of birds resident in Malta. Sorry I can't find the right words but as infringement procedures appear to have been started the law will be enforced with the full backing of the Maltese government and adequate policing put in place to stop the slaughter.

Ann

Last edited:
A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Folks,

At last I am able to report that the E U Environment Directorate are having a meeting next Monday 15 January in Brussels to discuss the Maltese hunting issue and have invited representatives from BirdLife Malta and from the Federation for Hunting and Conservation to attend. The full article can be read at:-

http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=248457

I hope this means that action will now be taken to ensure safe passage for all birds on their spring migration and to stop the illegal trapping and slaughter of birds resident in Malta. Sorry I can't find the right words but as infringement procedures appear to have been started the law will be enforced with the full backing of the Maltese government and adequate policing put in place to stop the slaughter.

Ann

Fingers crossed for satisfactory result for the birds.

Steve

A CHAPLIN said:

Ann
Sincerely hope so as well.
But I wouldn't hold my breath for any arrests or convictions.

Hi Folks,

Thanks I agree with you Osprey_Watcher but we can't let them win and the slaughter continue.

A Raptor Conservation Group in America have been in touch and written an article in The Independent Malta entitled "Malta should copy Hawk Mountain Model http://www.independent.com.mt/news.asp?newsitemid=44140
showing how Raptor Watching is now a greater spectator sport than the hunting of them was and has of course brought economic benefits with it as well as people looking after the environment more, not ruining it by cutting down trees and bushes to make room for their horrible nets and traps to catch small birds like finches to be kept in cages, if they live that is.

I have received the following email from the Group today and would ask please that we contact our MEP's.

"Now is the time for BirdLife Malta and BirdLife International to control
and dominate the moment at this forthcoming meeting, and put a permanent
stop to the senseless, illegal bird shooting and trapping that has
continued for at least the past 40+ years in the Maltese islands.

However, if they fail (they have for the past four decades), our small,
international Special Working Group on Malta Bird Shooting and Trapping
also is helping in this effort and has a wide range of short-term,
medium-term, and long-term efforts planned and/or in progress. All are
designed to put continuing international pressure on the government of the
Republic of Malta to deal responsibly with this unacceptable situation.

Meanwhile, please ask your country's Members of the European Parliament
immediately to put massive pressure on the Maltese government to deal once
and for all with this disgusting bird killing situation. There already are
some MEPs who are very concerned about this situation and want it resolved
without further delay.

In addition, contact and ask your country's Ambassador to the Republic of
Malta also to put pressure on the Maltese officials to get their acts
together.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Donald S. Heintzelman
Zionsville, PA
USA
donshatenter.net"

Ann :storm:

Last edited:
Thanks Sue,

I know Malta will blame the lack of police to enforce the law but it is completely sickening to me to know police have been put on less important duties elsewhere at the most vital time for the protection of birds on their journeys north and south on migration as well as being shot whenever seen, even on Sundays which is against their own supposed "Hunting Code" or whatever they call it. The government seems more worried about the lack of a few voters but don't the ordinary people of Malta care what reputation their island is getting round the world.

They were once a proud honourable nation that now seem to be going backwards in time and is ran by barbarians.

Ann :-C :storm:

I will be filling the email boxes of all government ministers of Malta on Monday starting with their Prime Minister of course. David Camilleri has kindly sent me the email addresses for them all and he says I have to send my letter to the Times of Malta too.

Ann :egghead:

This is one girl who will not give up the fight. Migration starts soon and thousands will die unnecessarily.

Hopefully some good will come of this.

Keep at it Ann. Doing good work.

I will try to find out who my MEP is and make an appeal for to use his/her influence if he/she can.

Hi Folks,

I have now received an email advising that the Brussels meeting is tomorrow Wednesday 17th January and asking if all Europeans can please write to their MEP's. the list is above in reply to Andrew's post.

There is a fully detailed article in The Times Malta which can be found at:-

www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=248517

Thanks.

Ann :egghead: :flyaway:

Five e-mails sent to Scottish MEPs

One has already responded - John Purvis:

Thank you for your email regarding the hunting of birds on Malta. I was contacted by a constituent last year regarding this issue, and attach copies of the letters I received, both from the European Commission and from the Maltese Embassy in Brussels. You can also find plenty of parliamentary questions tabled by MEPs on this subject to both the European Commission and the European Council earlier on this year. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/QP-WEB/home.jsp?language=en. I trust you will find them of interest. Yours sincerely John Purvis MEP for Scotland

He attached this as well.

D

Attachments

• Press release illegal hunting in Malta _2_.pdf
    113.8 KB · Views: 101
Hi Delia & Andrew,

Thank you for writing to your MEP's , it is good to know that us "little people" can do something and our representatives listen and care also, sorry I just can't find the right words to thank you.

Thank you for the link and the article Delia.

We know that Cyprus, Greece, Italy and other "hunting" associations are of course hoping the Maltese hunters win and they can go back to murdering birds too.

Of course there are less birds for them to shoot in Autumn, they slaughtered them in Spring, have they no brains?

We are also trying to stop them capturing live birds to keep in cages to sing and you and Andrew will remember that is why I got involved in the fight before I knew of the slaughter. I think it wrong to keep Greenfinches etc. in cages, they are not singing they are screaming to be let out. I now envy you who have Greenfinches visiting your gardens please look after them, I haven't seen one since Spring and I miss seeing those beautiful green birds.

Thank you from me and the birds.

Ann :flyaway: :flowers:

Catherine Stihler (Scottish MEP) has tabled the attached questions to the Commission.

She has promised to let me have the reply and when received I will attach it here.

D

Attachments

• Implementation Birds Directive Malta Comm 291106.doc
    21.5 KB · Views: 100
Hi Delia,

Thank you for posting the documents, things don't look too good but we don't know yet what happened at the meeting today and will have to wait and see if there is anything in the media tomorrow. I am hopeful the Times Malta will have some kind of article as they have printed many letters from tourists etc. and also reported the atrocities that occur there regularly. It is good to know that the main newspaper in Malta wants the slaughter stopped too.

Thank you for all your help.

Ann :flowers: :flyaway:

"During the meeting, the Commission reiterated that spring hunting cannot be permitted any more in Malta as the derogation granted by the government under the Birds Directive was not justified."

That is good to see though.

The Maltese angle seems to be words of comfort in the face of adversity. Hopefully the EU will come down hard on them in 2008.

Hi Folks,

I didn't want to start another thread. I have just received an email from Norway, they have had a holiday trade fair and Eddie Chapman (thank you Eddie) made flyers about Malta and distributed them round the stands and handed them to peopoe attending to let everyone know what is happening there. He has also written to the members of the government of Malta and the Hunting Federation.

As he said they are not Maltese birds they are European and African birds that are being killed for "fun" which is disgusting.

It is lovely to be getting support from birders around the world every little helps.

Thank you.

Ann :flyaway: :egghead:

Please People,

I beg you to keep pressure on the EU and the government of Malta to stop the mindless slaughter of birds which I have been led to believe is now for "fun" not sport or hunting for food.

Remember migration is due to start very soon, some birds may already be on their way.

Thank you

Ann :egghead: :flyaway:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back