• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red kites poisoned! (1 Viewer)

dubs1967

:CHi all,i have just discovered that two red kites were found dead at a poisoned rabbit carcass near otley west yorkshire last week.Details on the telegraph and argus website in the otley and aireborough section.All this talk of cyprus and malta we are just as bad here.sickening!:C

:CHi all,i have just discovered that two red kites were found dead at a poisoned rabbit carcass near otley west yorkshire last week.Details on the telegraph and argus website in the otley and aireborough section.All this talk of cyprus and malta we are just as bad here.sickening!:C

Hi Dubs

Craig thank you for the link.

Oh dear, here we go again with the killing BoP's , and other wildlife here. It is so sad. :-C

I assume the article is stating that the Rabbit, was poisoned purely to kill the Red Kites, and other wildlife, not for any other reason. :C

I am thinking here that poisons are the substances that need to be removed from the market if there is absolutely no need for them

I am no expert here, but can I ask a question here - stating the obvious here. What are the poisons really used for as a rule anyway??

Regards
Kathy

Kathy...only just read this...sorry youve had such a long wait for a reply!

almost all wildlife poisoning - placing of meat or egg baits in the open - is done by gamekeepers....until the 1981 Act came in many farmers and shepherds indulged in this practice too...even though its been illegal in England since 1911!!

anyway , the commonest chemicals to use have been pesticides which were being used to kill rodents [alphachloralose...now very difficult to obtain but still smuggled in from Ireland and Continent] or insects [carbamates such as carbofuran and aldicarb being the most common now]. These are all banned substances now...but the history of poisoning is such that some new thing will come along.

the people doing this now are trying to kill birds of prey, foxes, crows etc...but really, they dont care what they kill...if they can gey away with it...

when a kite gets killed it gets embarrassing....

its all disgusting and its all illegal..

hope that helps?

Kathy...only just read this...sorry youve had such a long wait for a reply!

almost all wildlife poisoning - placing of meat or egg baits in the open - is done by gamekeepers....until the 1981 Act came in many farmers and shepherds indulged in this practice too...even though its been illegal in England since 1911!!

anyway , the commonest chemicals to use have been pesticides which were being used to kill rodents [alphachloralose...now very difficult to obtain but still smuggled in from Ireland and Continent] or insects [carbamates such as carbofuran and aldicarb being the most common now]. These are all banned substances now...but the history of poisoning is such that some new thing will come along.

the people doing this now are trying to kill birds of prey, foxes, crows etc...but really, they dont care what they kill...if they can gey away with it...

when a kite gets killed it gets embarrassing....

its all disgusting and its all illegal..

hope that helps?

Hi Townie

Thank you for your reply here, and your explanation.

It appears that poisons will be around for a long time yet. Maybe some control or change of substances will be the way forward here. Smuggling is not good either.
DDT powder is illegal now, and I had to use that to de-Lice my pony. I used it without any protection years ago too - not these days though :eek!:

It is hard to believe how people can contemplate poisoning a BoP even if it is by accident, or by being thoughtless.

Do you remember the way Crows where killed (shot I think?) and tied by the neck onto the fence wires. I though that was gross. Now I can why farmers did that, and it was to act as a warning to other Crows to stay away. Though it has not affected Crows as such now. I am glad that was stopped

Regards
Kathy

Poisons are the gamekeepers equivalent to the soldiers landmine. Very efficient at doing the job but totally indiscriminate. Which is why both should be completely banned from being used.
Sad to think that some prat in my home county is doing this.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back