Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Thursday 23rd July 2009, 21:59   #1
bkrownd

Economy Hits Hawai'i Conservation Staff

The State budget crisis could potentially cause some problems for our conservation efforts. A few days ago the State announced that DOCARE officers (DLNR police) hours would be cut. They patrol shorelines, forest reserves and such. They're rarely seen in the native habitats, though. Maybe 1-3 days a year I see them checking hunting permits. I get the impression they spend most of their time down at the beach parks.

Today it was leaked that the governor wants to close the Kulani Correctional Facility (low security prison), which is the keystone of Hawai'i's windward conservation areas. Kulani is fenced and patrolled by the prison staff, and Kulani staffs the fencing crews that build many of the island's conservation fences. Kulani has a very high concentration of endangered species, including many rare plants and all of the island's endangered forest birds except palila. (but still within former palila range, IIRC) Don't know what would happen to the area and conservation work there if the facility was decomissioned.

On the flip side, I've seen some new temporary conservation jobs are appearing in other areas as a result of the Federal stimulus money.

I'm not on the inside though, so that's just the rumors I've caught wind of.

Last edited by bkrownd : Thursday 23rd July 2009 at 22:20.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: