• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Road Trip from New York (1 Viewer)

KEVIN BROWN

Casual Birder
At the end of August I am thinking of picking up my daughter from Summer Camp near Catskill, then spending about a week on a road trip before returning to New York to fly home. Any information on good areas to visit for wildlife and a good motels to stay would be much appreciated. I have no set route leaving me open to any ideas.

Many thanks

The Hawk migration will have started by then. Here is one suggestion.

You could run down to Cape May, NJ. Cape May motels might be filled but there should be some motels in the surrounding Cape May county area up to Wildwood and Stone Harbor that you could use. You could swing back up through NJ to the Reading area of Southeastern PA and visit Hawk Mountain Sanctuary there, watch the early migrants and do some day hiking on their trails. There are Motels 10 miles away at Route 22 outside Hamburg, PA at the big Cabelas Outdoor Store which you could also visit and look at binoculars. Then you could take Route 22 east back to NYC for your flight home.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/capemay.html

http://www.hawkmountain.org/

Bob

Last edited:
Whale watching looks good, I have seen most of the raptors sighted Hawk Mountain, and possibly want to see more general wildlife especially mammals and reptiles, though birds are of an interest, I trying to make in too intense on birding as my daughter may not appreciate that. Thank you, and more suggestions are very welcome, please.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back