• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

RFI: Cambodia and Laos in November (1 Viewer)

davidg

I'm looking at taking an organised trip to Laos and Cambodia in November this year and would be grateful for any suggestions as to what to look out for.
In Laos we'll be travelling down the Mekong from Huay Xai to Luang Prabang before flying to Vientiane. There's a further flight to Pakse before we go by road to Phnom Penh via Champasak and Kratie. We finish the trip in Siem Reap and I'm hoping to organise a couple of days birding through the Sam Veasna Centre.
The trip will be with a number of non-birders so I'll have to fit bird-watching in as and when I can but there should be a number of opportunities hopefully. This will be my first trip to the far east so any help would be very welcome.
Many thanks,
David

I went to Luang Prabang a few years ago. There wasn't that much bird-wise in town. I took the tour to Pak O caves and during that I was able to find small pratincole (but not much else). I also took a boat across the river and did a little birding over there while doing some temple exploring. I put a quick trip report on Birdforum. Do a search on "Luang" and you'll find it.

I can strongly recommend Sam Veasna Center. They provided the local leader for our tour.

Hi Jeff,
Thankfully this isn't a birding trip otherwise I think I would be very disappointed in Laos from the various trip reports I've read! I'm due to spend 2 days travelling on the Mekong going towards Luang Prabang so perhaps I should take a good book and look forward to my two days with the Sam Veasna people.
Thanks for your help.
David

You know about River Dolphins and Mekong Wagtail at Kratie I assume?

A boat trip in to the river should get you both but the Dolphins are often viewable from the bank.

Look for the Wagtails on the small islands in the River

Andy

Last edited:
You know about River Dolphins and Mekong Wagtail at Kratie I assume?

A boat trip in to the river should get you both but the Dolphins are often viewable from the bank.

Look for the Wagtails on the small islands in the River

Andy

Hi Andy,
Yes, the dolphins are the main reason for visiting Kratie but the wagtails would also be welcome. Thanks for the information.

David

I've now booked two day-trips with the Sam Veasna Centre. The first is to the Prek Toal reserve and the second to Koh Ker and Beng Melea. I was advised that I'll be there at the wrong time of year for Bengal Florican which is a shame. Has anyone been to these sites? Any info beyond what's on the SVC website would be helpful.
Thanks,
David

The trip is now all sorted and I'm off in about 3 weeks. We have time off in Luang Prabang and Vientiane so if anyone can suggest somewhere worth visiting for half a day in or very near either town I'd be grateful. We also have half a day in Kratie, Cambodia and have already organised a trip to see the dolphins and, hopefully, Mekong Wagtail - anything else to look out for here?
Thanks,
David

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back