Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Old Sunday 20th June 2004, 11:31   #1
gophish

Cool Birds Oahu, Hawaii

I will be taking a trip to Oahu in November this year. Does anyone have any insite as to what birds to look for there or any good spots to make sure to check out?
thanks Ken H.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 20th June 2004, 19:01   #2
mike coleman
BF Irregular

Can't think of any off the top of my head, but when I was there a few years back I used the book "Enjoying Birds in Hawaii" by H. Douglas Pratt. It is pretty outdated now I guess, but there may have been a re-print. Another good source of info is the website http://www.birdinghawaii.co.uk/. If you get a chance to visit the other islands, they are all different and combine well for a great trip.
Old Saturday 28th August 2004, 18:00   #3
toozoo

Oahu Birding

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophish
I will be taking a trip to Oahu in November this year. Does anyone have any insite as to what birds to look for there or any good spots to make sure to check out?
thanks Ken H.
Hi Ken,

Check out Lyons Arboretum for all kinds of species from songbirds to parrots. Early morning and just before dusk are the best sighting times. I was there this spring and had a wonderful time.

/emily
Old Saturday 28th August 2004, 18:13   #4
Marmot

We do have a member called kerrypilot who is from Hawaii, who does come on the forum quite regularly, hopefully they may see your message.
So they should be able to help you.

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 28th August 2004, 18:25   #5
toozoo

Oahu Birding

Quote:
Originally Posted by toozoo
Hi Ken,

Check out Lyons Arboretum for all kinds of species from songbirds to parrots. Early morning and just before dusk are the best sighting times. I was there this spring and had a wonderful time.

/emily
Whoops! I just got word (within an hour of posting this....) that Lyons Arboretum is temporarily closed. Perhaps it will be re-opened by November.

/emily
Old Saturday 4th September 2004, 04:58   #6
sbrasuel

I just went in July. You can order the booklet Hawaii's Birds by Hawaii Audubon Society. I bought it at Borders while on Oahu. The book tells the common locations where each bird can be found. There are several wildlife preserves on the island. Just get a descent map and you can easily find them. Audubon has a big tourist attraction in Waimea (north shore). Its worth a stop.

Have fun!
Summer

Quote:
thanks Ken H.
Old Saturday 4th September 2004, 05:14   #7
Vik

Ditto. The Audubon book is great. We used it when we were in Hawaii. Be prepared to see some gorgeous birds. Have a great trip! Vik
Old Saturday 4th September 2004, 05:25   #8
sbrasuel

Lightbulb

The post from toozoo reminded me of Fosters Botanical Garden in Honolulu. Besides the wildlife preserves that would be a good place to find birds. Its a great garden as well and worth a visit.

Aloha!
Summer

Quote:
thanks Ken H.
Old Friday 15th May 2009, 21:08   #9
jimm1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophish View Post
thanks Ken H.
Last time I went to Hawaii on a birdwatching trip, I made sure to check out Honolulu Hotels that had birdwatching tours.

-jim
Old Friday 15th May 2009, 21:37   #10
bkrownd

Canned 'birdwatching tours' are unlikely to be satisfying. They want your dollars for as little effort as possible and will probably show you a few cardinals in return. Before coming here it is important to really do research about WHICH birds you want to see, and talk to people who know where to find them. (usually NOT tour operators) Most tours do not take people to the good areas. A private tour from a good local guide is obviously best.

Last edited by bkrownd : Friday 15th May 2009 at 23:43.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 14th July 2009, 12:20   #11
jdizon

Private tour for 1-3 guests to observe Oahu's unique honeycreepers, water birds, or seabirds. Led by Michael Walther, the owner of Oahu Nature Tours, who has conducted numerous Hawaii forest bird surveys and has written books and magazine articles about Hawaii's native bird species.best hawaii tours
Old Monday 10th August 2009, 16:27   #12
KHamblett

I lived in Hawaii for years, years ago, and I frequently return to visit friends and do some birding. I agree that you'll probably get more out of Oahu birding if you do a bit of research beforehand.

I also agree that a private tour, as described in the postings above, may be the best way to see the forest endemics - and the safest. the Hawaiian forest birds are in the more mountainous areas - some in the same areas that are patronized by pig hunters and growers - and can have mudslides and flash floods.

Two areas that you may enjoy without a guide > Waimea Falls on the North Shore. This place has changed ownership over the years, but the last time I was there it was being managed by Audubon. Lots of introduced species with introduced tropical flora - with weak and outdated exhibits of Hawaiian endemics. This was about five years ago, and I believe Audubon had just started managing the place, so maybe some things have changed.

> James Campbell NWR, also on the North Shore close to Kahuku. It's closed most of the year, but opens sometime in October/November and closes again in Feb, I think. There is a ranger or guide there on some days (maybe all the time now). Their website should provide such details. and here is a link Link to Audubon with some info.

If the price is right, I'll be visiting HI in November as well. I'd like to get to the JCampbell NWR to see bristle-thighed curlews.

Not sure of your budget and time restraints, but interisland airfares are usually reasonable and birding on Kauai and Big Island can be very rewarding.

One more thing I should mention: November is high surf season, with lots of surfers in the North Shore area - be careful around the ocean waters, and be careful of where you leave your gear.
Old Saturday 29th May 2010, 02:38   #13
jimm1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdizon View Post
Private tour for 1-3 guests to observe Oahu's unique honeycreepers, water birds, or seabirds. Led by Michael Walther, the owner of Oahu Nature Tours, who has conducted numerous Hawaii forest bird surveys and has written books and magazine articles about Hawaii's native bird species.Hotel Hawaii
I checked out those tours they were pretty awesome!

Thanks,

-Jim
Old Tuesday 8th June 2010, 05:32   #14
HawaiianOnline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gophish View Post
thanks Ken H.
Hey guys, it looks like you're a few years too late for a reply. Still it's good info...
Old Tuesday 6th July 2010, 22:30   #15
jimm1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianOnline View Post
Hey guys, it looks like you're a few years too late for a reply. Still it's good info...
Haha I just noticed that! Sorry!

-Jim

----------------------
Honolulu Tours Lover
Old Sunday 15th October 2017, 13:56   #16
Swissboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiianOnline View Post
You might also remember that there are people like me who will be interested at a later date. So such info is still most welcome. Except that some websites are either no longer working, or else they have changed so much that they may no longer be useful.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: