• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (2 Viewers)

Just back from a week on South Uist. The islands have not escaped the 'big freeze'. Virtually all the fresh water has been frozen for days, which is exceptional. I go out there frequently, including at this time of the year, and I've never seen so many duck, snipe, etc feeding on the foreshore at all states of the tide.

Had great views of a water rail feeding on the Howmore River. A first for me out there.

Alan

s uist

Just back from a week on South Uist. The islands have not escaped the 'big freeze'. Virtually all the fresh water has been frozen for days, which is exceptional. I go out there frequently, including at this time of the year, and I've never seen so many duck, snipe, etc feeding on the foreshore at all states of the tide.

Had great views of a water rail feeding on the Howmore River. A first for me out there.

Alan

thanks alan for the report.Iwas out there in may,we saw some fantastic birds ,including lt skua , golden oriel ,turtle dove , r,n phalarope,se owl,i was working on n uist in 1991 planting trees and the birds then were pretty much the same .The uists are a brilliant place to spend some timein.

First time out since christmas ,had to go to co\op ,so went for Brora spent an hour at beach car park. got...2 g n divers,2 rbm, 4 goldeneye, 5 common scoter,12 eider,6 lt duck,2 golden plover,redshank, curlew,oystercatcher,2purple sandpiper,song thrush, redwing,gulls crows.

Reads like anothet great day out. Full marks for braving the elements.

Very quiet down here. My watersupply has been frozen since getting back after hogmanay - breaking ice in the burn to flush the loo and overdosing on deodorant!

However, did see a rook at the head of Loch Aline last week. Nobody in these parts can remember seing one in Morvern before. There are 3 known rookeries on Mull so, bearing in mind the extraordinary weather, it may well have crossed the Sound.

Alan

First day above zero here since before Christmas! Very slight thaw. Tonight it's 1C thats 15C warmer than this time last night!!!!!!!

Couple of Crossbill sp over the village this afternoon, but other than corvids very quiet.

Although the roads are clear, there is so much snow piled up to the verges there is nowhere at all to park or pass without getting stuck. So you can't actually drive anywhere and stop, other than centres of villlages and towns.

First day above zero here since before Christmas! Very slight thaw. Tonight it's 1C thats 15C warmer than this time last night!!!!!!!

Couple of Crossbill sp over the village this afternoon, but other than corvids very quiet.

Although the roads are clear, there is so much snow piled up to the verges there is nowhere at all to park or pass without getting stuck. So you can't actually drive anywhere and stop, other than centres of villlages and towns.

Up here in Muir of Ord its is very busy. Got some more bird food in today and had 25 greenfinches, a dozen chaffinches, 3 bramblings, 15 woodpigeons and assorted gulls, corvids and thrushes all trying to get a piece of the action. Around the village red kite, G.S. woodpeckers and bullfinches are showing well. And the great tits have started singing!

Has anyone been to Ordhill on the Black Isle? It was mentioned in BBC Wildlife magazine for being good for Red Kites at this time of year and I am going to get there by the end of the month. I've also heard it's good for Red Squirrel and Pine Marten.

Has anyone been to Ordhill on the Black Isle? It was mentioned in BBC Wildlife magazine for being good for Red Kites at this time of year and I am going to get there by the end of the month. I've also heard it's good for Red Squirrel and Pine Marten.

It's the forested hill just north of the Kessock bridge. Yes, it's excellent for Red Kites as is any decent vantage point on the Black Isle.

Has anyone been to Ordhill on the Black Isle? It was mentioned in BBC Wildlife magazine for being good for Red Kites at this time of year and I am going to get there by the end of the month. I've also heard it's good for Red Squirrel and Pine Marten.[/QUOTE

Head north across kessock bridge then take the turn off to north kessock,you then take the underpass and follow the road till you come to afirst right,that takes you to the ordhill car park.There is a network of walking trails around the woods .good area for kites but you should see them just about anywhere on the black isle...I have seen red squirrels here aswell,with a bit of luck you may get pine marten..

Crested Tits

Hi
I want to try and photograph Crested Tits and I have been told that the car park at Loch Garten is a good spot. Is this the best site for photo opportunities or any one reccomend a good spot.
Many thanks
Malcolm

Hi
I want to try and photograph Crested Tits and I have been told that the car park at Loch Garten is a good spot. Is this the best site for photo opportunities or any one reccomend a good spot.
Many thanks
Malcolm

Depends on what time of year you are going? Forget late April/May, they can be harder to find than Hens teeth when incubating.

We will be going to South Uist for a week on 15th may, this will be our second year. We are looking for Grey Phalarop, as we missed it last year. Any suggestions where we might see it. Thank you

We will be going to South Uist for a week on 15th may, this will be our second year. We are looking for Grey Phalarop, as we missed it last year. Any suggestions where we might see it. Thank you

Do you mean Red-necked Phalarope? Grey would just be a casual visitor at that time of year (and a fairly unlikely one).

An eventful and slightly surreal day.

I headed out early morning towards Abernethy. I hit a patch of black ice just south of Carrbridge, spun the Landy 180 degrees, and despite thinking I was heading into a ditch came to rest calmly on the (wrong side!) of the road. As I was recovering a cock Capercaillie walked across the road and continued into the forest.

Shaken by the near miss I headed home. I called at home and my key snapped in the door. I then got in and went to the bathroom and a pipe burst. Having mopped up I decided to go to Merkinch NR. Suitably chilled I started to photograph some of the birds and great scenery and spot an Otter cruising by. Plenty of Wigeon and the usual sawbills.

A couple of hours later an old woman calls at me 'Hello', ' Hello'. I turn round and she has a bag in her hand. 'You look like you could do with a wee cake. Take this cream bun (pr something like bun) with caramel icing' she says. I do, and she walks off without another word. I ate it and it was delicious!

Bring on tomorrow. :-O

Last edited:
Yo Marcus
Just about the only unbelievable thing there is that a Landy spun 180 degrees...they usually do the full 360. Good that things went ok for you.

I headed out early morning towards Abernethy. I hit a patch of black ice just south of Carrbridge, spun the Landy 180 degrees, and despite thinking I was heading into a ditch came to rest calmly on the (wrong side!) of the road. As I was recovering a cock Capercaillie walked across the road and continued into the forest.

Shaken by the near miss I headed home. I called at home and my key snapped in the door. I then got in and went to the bathroom and a pipe burst. Having mopped up I decided to go to Merkinch NR. Suitably chilled I started to photograph some of the birds and great scenery and spot an Otter cruising by. Plenty of Wigeon and the usual sawbills.

A couple of hours later an old woman calls at me 'Hello', ' Hello'. I turn round and she has a bag in her hand. 'You look like you could do with a wee cake. Take this cream bun (pr something like bun) with caramel icing' she says. I do, and she walks off without another word. I ate it and it was delicious!

Great stuff Marcus,

Never spun a Landy, (they usually toppel?) but good effort. :t: I Know some serious birders in UK who haven't seen a male Caper (Hi!), and one who hasn't seen a Caper at all!;)

Cheers G

You, cars, winter and highlands obviously dont mix - i reckon you should act like a migrant and bugger off back to yorkshire in winter otherwie you'll kill ya's'en. At what member of the tetronidae was it you flushed last time?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back