• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Alicante Province (1 Viewer)

The second of my three day passes yesterday saw me start out at El Hondo again. The Rollers were again on show at the palm plantation opposite the north gate. There was little change in the birds around San Filipe Neri visitors centre compared with last week- highlights were a singing Moustached Warbler just before the "picnic area turn". Other birds not encountered last week but seen yesterday included Cetti's Warbler, Black Tern and Spotted Redshank. A total of 7 Marbled Ducks were on the pond outside the visitors centre itself.

The viewing platforms west of Catral produced little other than flight views of terms and various herons. However the five hides along the CV-861 were a revelation; cant believe I haven't previously visited them (not sure where best to part though?). The extensive areas of open water attracted 20+ White-headed Ducks, over 100 Black-necked Grebes, many Glossy Ibis, Little Bittern, Squacco Heron, Marsh Harrier, Purple Gallinule and very close views of Whiskered Tern. Another Roller was close to the junction of the CV-861 and CV-865.

Then on to Clot de Galvany - highlights were a male Blue Rock Thrush, Green Sandpiper, 2 Stone Curlew, many Hoopoes, numerous Bee-eaters, Little Bittern, 2 Little Owl, Sardinian and Subalpine Warblers, 5 White-headed Duck (2 male, 1 female, 2 juvs), Red-rumped Swallow and Green Woodpecker.

A two hour search of the coast road produced no sign of the Robins (but huge numbers of Spotted Flycatcher and several Turtle Doves) but luckily also no "lurkers". The evening was rounded off with at least three Red-necked Nightjars churring up by Santa Pola lighthouse before I left at 10;15pm, arriving back at Los Alcazares safely in time to have missed the England match! 8-P

One day out left and in the search for something a bit different it looks like a toss up between Sierra Espuna and Sierra De Crevillente - any suggestions as to good spots for either? Interested in raptors, wheatears and ideally Rock Bunting.

Last edited:
The viewing platforms west of Catral produced little other than flight views of terms and various herons. However the five hides along the CV-861 were a revelation; cant believe I haven't previously visited them (not sure where best to part though?). The extensive areas of open water attracted 20+ White-headed Ducks, over 100 Black-necked Grebes, many Glossy Ibis, Little Bittern, Squacco Heron, Marsh Harrier, Purple Gallinule and very close views of Whiskered Tern. Another Roller was close to the junction of the CV-861 and CV-865.

Forgot to mention that the leucistic Black-necked Grebe is still present at El Hondo; photos to follow tomorrow.

Some habitat shots at El Hondo from Tuesday:

1. Main lagoon at San Filipe Neri visitor centre virtually dried out
2. Lagoon immediately to the south was full of Flamingoes, terns, gulls and waders
3. The water-filled lagoon from the hides off the CV-861 which held good numbers of White-headed Duck, BN Grebe, Glossy Ibis etc

Attachments

• El Hondo 1.jpg
    El Hondo 1.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 100
  • El Hondo 2.jpg
    El Hondo 2.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 96
  • El Hondo1.jpg
    El Hondo1.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 101
Now for some bird photos:

1+2. Male White-headed Duck
3+4. Glossy Ibis
5. Collared Pratincole

Attachments

• WH Duck1.jpg
    WH Duck1.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 92
  • WH Duck2.jpg
    WH Duck2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Glossy Ibis2.jpg
    Glossy Ibis2.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 99
  • Glossy Ibis.jpg
    Glossy Ibis.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 87
  • Clld Prat Tues.jpg
    Clld Prat Tues.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 89
Second batch from El Hondo:

1. Black-necked Grebe
2. Leucistic Black-necked Grebe
3. Purple Gallinule
4. Squacco Heron and Purple Gallinule

Attachments

• BNG El Hondo.jpg
    BNG El Hondo.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 93
  • BNG leucistic.jpg
    BNG leucistic.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Purple G Tues.jpg
    Purple G Tues.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Sq H & Purple G.jpg
    Sq H & Purple G.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 90
I've only seen Rock Bunting up at Monnegre. Presumably at Sierra d'Espuna as well. Had Bonelli's at Espuna and they are easy at Sierra de Crevillente. Although presumably the young will have fledged so it may take a little time to pick them out. Lots of Black Wheatears there too.

The second of my three day passes yesterday saw me start out at El Hondo again. The Rollers were again on show at the palm plantation opposite the north gate. There was little change in the birds around San Filipe Neri visitors centre compared with last week- highlights were a singing Moustached Warbler just before the "picnic area turn". Other birds not encountered last week but seen yesterday included Cetti's Warbler, Black Tern and Spotted Redshank. A total of 7 Marbled Ducks were on the pond outside the visitors centre itself.

Then on to Clot de Galvany - highlights were a male Blue Rock Thrush, Green Sandpiper, 2 Stone Curlew, many Hoopoes, numerous Bee-eaters, Little Bittern, 2 Little Owl, Sardinian and Subalpine Warblers, 5 White-headed Duck (2 male, 1 female, 2 juvs), Red-rumped Swallow and Green Woodpecker.

A two hour search of the coast road produced no sign of the Robins (but huge numbers of Spotted Flycatcher and several Turtle Doves) but luckily also no "lurkers". The evening was rounded off with at least three Red-necked Nightjars churring up by Santa Pola lighthouse before I left at 10;15pm, arriving back at Los Alcazares safely in time to have missed the England match! 8-P

One day out left and in the search for something a bit different it looks like a toss up between Sierra Espuna and Sierra De Crevillente - any suggestions as to good spots for either? Interested in raptors, wheatears and ideally Rock Bunting.

Excellent summary :)

The hides along the CV-861 (aka Vistabella Road) are fabulous. It's easy to lose track of time along here (and if you're like me, on limited time passes from a family holiday, that can cause a few issues!!). At least for me, they are only 15 minutes away on my bike :)

As for where to park, there is room on the opposite side of the road to the small concrete bridge over the canal (you can see cars parked there on this aerial view: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.1648877,-0.7301586,219m/data=!3m1!1e3). Once you cross over the concrete slab, just turn right and all the hides are along in that direction.

You're gonna be hot - already it's getting uncomfortably warm...;)

Jolly good. That's how I like it! For one thing, I'm on my hols, so hot is good. But it also gets me up early, and I'm often out on my bike before the sun comes up, which means I get to the reserves before anyone else and when all the birds are still out and about. This has the added advantage that I can get in a couple of hours' birding before the rest of the family even emerge for breakfast!

Excellent summary :)

The hides along the CV-861 (aka Vistabella Road) are fabulous. It's easy to lose track of time along here (and if you're like me, on limited time passes from a family holiday, that can cause a few issues!!). At least for me, they are only 15 minutes away on my bike :)

As for where to park, there is room on the opposite side of the road to the small concrete bridge over the canal (you can see cars parked there on this aerial view: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@38.1648877,-0.7301586,219m/data=!3m1!1e3). Once you cross over the concrete slab, just turn right and all the hides are along in that direction.

Cheers Lazza - that's where I parked. Always wondered which stretch was the Vistabella Road! My issue was not only time but also water as I didn't appreciate how many hides there were :eek!:

BTW I chose Sierra Espuna over Sierra de Crevillente and combined it with Guadalentin plains. I know it's in Murcia rather than Alicante but for the record I saw Short-toed and Calandra Larks, Roller, Tree Sparrow, Bee-eater, Woodchat and Southern Grey Shrike at the latter and Crossbill, Firecrest, Alpine Swift, Rock Bunting, Crested Tit, Short-toed, Golden and Booted Eagle, Chough and Western Bonelli's Warbler at the former.

Probably a bit too late for Phil but Lazza and others might like to know that there is a Kingfisher present at the Clot - seen over the past two days. This is only the third time I've seen one there in 10 years of visiting, but this one seems to like the area!

Only average shots so far, but I live in hope!

Attachments

• DSC_4433.jpg
    DSC_4433.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_4440.jpg
    DSC_4440.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 94
Two families of Golden Orioles today in the Pinoso area on a bike ride. First between pinoso and salinas, second between Ubeda and Culebron. Could have been the same group I Suppose though sightings around 5 miles apart.

Pinoso is an under watched area. Lots of Black Wheatear, Crested Tit, Crossbill, lark, Bee Eater.

Still haven't seen a wryneck. Any guaranteed spots appreciated.

So far, without too much time to spare, I've had a 30 minute stop at El Pinet Salinas, and then around an hour at the El Hondo hides along the Vistabella road.

El Pinet was very quiet, with very little near the first hide - a handful of Flamingos, a family group of Avocets with two youngsters, and around a dozen Stilt. The distant islands seemed almost deserted, although there was a single Collared Pratincole, 20-30 Common Tern and 2-3 Little Tern on the nearest island.

El Hondo hides were a bit of a mixed bag, only a Purple Swamphen to report from the first (westernmost) hide, although a pair of Stone-curlew were seen flying over the fields across the road as I left. But the second hide was much better, with close views of Little Grebe and newly fledged Reed Warbler in front of the hide, and three Little Bittern putting in an appearance, plus a distant White-headed Duck. There were also around 40-50 Great Crested Grebe, with lots of juveniles around. The fourth hide was also good, with another five or six(!) Little Bittern (three of which were on the reeds next to the small bridge over the canal when I first got there), Squacco heron, a good number of Glossy Ibis feeding on the far bank, and a Common Sandpiper flying to-and-fro in front of the hide. A single Night-heronflew over the main road as I headed back.

I'm staying in Quesada at the moment and the North-west of La Mata is thrumming with birds. Two pairs of Montagu's Harriers are present near the lemon tree road and there are 'loads' of Gull-billed Terns plus a few Little Terns and several Commons. Plenty of waders around the edges with Curlew Sandpipers aplenty and a flock of 13 Common Sandpipers as well. A single Stone Curlew was noted plus a pair of Red-rumped Swallows seemingly breeding in the pumphouse. Half a dozen Turtle Doves were a pleasant sight for English eyes and the occasional calls of Bee-eaters has also been welcome. I'm booked in for the north gate at El Hondo on Saturday for the first time in a few years so I'm looking forward to that.

I'm staying in Quesada at the moment and the North-west of La Mata is thrumming with birds. Two pairs of Montagu's Harriers are present near the lemon tree road and there are 'loads' of Gull-billed Terns plus a few Little Terns and several Commons. Plenty of waders around the edges with Curlew Sandpipers aplenty and a flock of 13 Common Sandpipers as well. A single Stone Curlew was noted plus a pair of Red-rumped Swallows seemingly breeding in the pumphouse. Half a dozen Turtle Doves were a pleasant sight for English eyes and the occasional calls of Bee-eaters has also been welcome. I'm booked in for the north gate at El Hondo on Saturday for the first time in a few years so I'm looking forward to that.

I don't think they are that uncommon around the region, but I (embarrassedly) admit I have only seen Turtle Doves once in the 10 years I've been visiting the area.... I think I tend to ignore doves, thinking they are all collared doves! So this is my next cycle ride sorted!!!! Do you mean the Northwest end of the lake, where the viewing tower is?

I don't think they are that uncommon around the region, but I (embarrassedly) admit I have only seen Turtle Doves once in the 10 years I've been visiting the area.... I think I tend to ignore doves, thinking they are all collared doves! So this is my next cycle ride sorted!!!! Do you mean the Northwest end of the lake, where the viewing tower is?

Exactly there - saw plenty over the last few days flying about but I have seen them at the East end in the Eucalyptus trees and I guess the allotments might be worth a look for them. None so far on the ground. Saw the feral Monk Parakeets yesterday near Carrefour in Torrevieja which is only the second time I have seen these.

A brief trip to El Hondo yesterday got me Roller by the football pitch. At San Filipe Neri there were 4 Crested Coots on the pool plus Marbled Teal which gave me my best ever views. Also Glossy Ibis, Little Bittern, Squacco Heron, Collared Pratincole and half a dozen Purple Gallinules.

A brief trip to El Hondo yesterday got me Roller by the football pitch. At San Filipe Neri there were 4 Crested Coots on the pool plus Marbled Teal which gave me my best ever views. Also Glossy Ibis, Little Bittern, Squacco Heron, Collared Pratincole and half a dozen Purple Gallinules.

Wild Crested Coot rather than the neck collared birds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back