• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 DI IF VC USD (3 Viewers)

One thing that caught my eye in that detailed review was just how much quicker the AF was on the FF (6D) against the 7D (irrelevant of lens used). I guess this is just because the 6D has a newer AF system OR is it always the case with FF v crop Camera. I must admit I had never even considered that a FF Camera would AF quicker than a crop as I always though AF speed was more to do with the lens!

"The area where the 6D really shines, however, is in acquiring focus consistently in very low-light conditions. Canon has rated the center AF point's sensitivity at -3 EV, one stop lower than any full frame DSLR on the market. And our real world use with the camera bears out this impressive performance."

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-6d/12

I think the shooting conditions favored 6D AF system as it was able to acquire focus quicker in low light with just the center AF. In good light the 7D tracking will be significantly better.

roy i recently borrowed a 1dmk111 to test against the 7d ,to be quiet totally honest i was gobsmacked by the performance from what is only a 10mp camera and getting long in the tooth to.i will probably be looking to go down that route sometime next year when funds allow can't quite stretch my pension to a 1d4 but that should be even better .i guess its the old adage of you get what you pay for .the 1d3 raw files were a total joy to process and virtually popped out of the screen at me .

If this new Tamron lens is as good as it looks in the few images and tests seen so far it could be a Godsend for those who can't stretch to the big primes. I have already decided that I need a longer zoom lens - I actually miss my old Sigma 170-500mm BUT the sharpness at the long end was, well, not great shall we say. The only caveat I can see at the moment is the lack of 70D on the compatibility list - and lack of funds for the time being :-O

There is no reason whatsoever to suggest that the new Tammy will not run on a 70D Paul.

I agree Roy, I am assuming that it's down to the camera not being available during development of the lens that has kept it off the list, but, it would still be nice to have Tamron confirm it - or somebody to do a test run :t:

Time will tell

roy i recently borrowed a 1dmk111 to test against the 7d ,to be quiet totally honest i was gobsmacked by the performance from what is only a 10mp camera and getting long in the tooth to.i will probably be looking to go down that route sometime next year when funds allow can't quite stretch my pension to a 1d4 but that should be even better .i guess its the old adage of you get what you pay for .the 1d3 raw files were a total joy to process and virtually popped out of the screen at me .
I know what you get what you pay for Jeff - I have a 5D3 and the AF performance from that is obviously superb. Having said that the 6D is cheaper than the 7D when that came out so why is that one so much faster at obtaining focus?. I think the answer is that the test shoots were taken in poor light and although the 6D is the cheapest FF or 1.3 crop camera that Canon make the center point AF sensitivity is the best, outperforming every other Canon DSLR - so in this respect you do not necessarily get what you pay for!!!!!
I would not be surprised if the Humble 70D was not faster at obtaining AF on a static subject than either the 1D3 or 1D4 as both these Cameras are getting on a bit now.

When you say you were gobsmacked by the 1D3 against the 7D - in what respect. There is no way that the 1D3 will capture the same amount of detail as the 7D for bird photography. The 1.3 croppers will obviously be better at high ISO noise performance than the 7D but nowadays the 6D,5D3 and 1DX make even the 1D3/4 look poor.

I have not got a 7D these day but if you are reach limited I still think it is the the best all round Canon Camera for Bird Photography (the 7D2 will be even better When it comes!!) - I most certainly would not give up a 7D for a 1D3 unless I could more or less fill the frame and avoid cropping.

Last edited:
There are plenty of sample images starting to appear on the Japanese Forums. HERE is a shot taken at 600mm and wide open at f6.3 - does not look to shabby to me!

Unfortunately I don't. I took the link from CanonWatch website and apparently it is not working anymore

sorry , i am frank wong from it.wyswig.com
(now i need to walk around every back link to explain the issue)
due to large traffic and my ISP though it was like DDOS and they blocked the 80 port , plus the server does have issue under high loading . after a few hours battle i fixed the issue and now working =D

too many people coming , need take a cover lol~ like bullet rain
maybe the first simple review of that lens ( lack of lab test , sorry )

what you see is what i get , very personal feeling was there :t:

I know what you get what you pay for Jeff - I have a 5D3 and the AF performance from that is obviously superb. Having said that the 6D is cheaper than the 7D when that came out so why is that one so much faster at obtaining focus?. I think the answer is that the test shoots were taken in poor light and although the 6D is the cheapest FF or 1.3 crop camera that Canon make the center point AF sensitivity is the best, outperforming every other Canon DSLR - so in this respect you do not necessarily get what you pay for!!!!!
I would not be surprised if the Humble 70D was not faster at obtaining AF on a static subject than either the 1D3 or 1D4 as both these Cameras are getting on a bit now.

When you say you were gobsmacked by the 1D3 against the 7D - in what respect. There is no way that the 1D3 will capture the same amount of detail as the 7D for bird photography. The 1.3 croppers will obviously be better at high ISO noise performance than the 7D but nowadays the 6D,5D3 and 1DX make even the 1D3/4 look poor.

I have not got a 7D these day but if you are reach limited I still think it is the the best all round Canon Camera for Bird Photography (the 7D2 will be even better When it comes!!) - I most certainly would not give up a 7D for a 1D3 unless I could more or less fill the frame and avoid cropping.

i hopefully have found the answer roy ,time will tell ,read on
as some of you know i have been struggling with my 7d since i got it ,sometimes its been turning out good stuff at other times the images were soft or looked like back focusing issues one day and front focussing the next ,over christmas i sat down and started looking through u-tube for settings for wildlife for the camera in case it was user error ,when i came across one where the owner was describing exactly the same issues as i was having .
i sat down and watched the video and although he dragged it out for 10 minutes or more its basically explaining that the camera functions in exactly the same way as a computer and can get overloaded with info .the cure is simple and effective ,you take out the main battery and also the little back up battery inside the compartment door ,let the camera stand for a hour then re-insert both batteries and switch on again ,in my case all i had to do was set the date info etc and taken it out for a test run today its a different camera with every shot coming out properly exposed and sharp within the bounds of my own usage .

if your having similar problems worth a go it won't hurt anything .

The VC's efficacy seems to be approximately 3 stops at 600mm. Not bad for such a long slow lens, and great value for money IMHO :t:

i hopefully have found the answer roy ,time will tell ,read on
as some of you know i have been struggling with my 7d since i got it ,sometimes its been turning out good stuff at other times the images were soft or looked like back focusing issues one day and front focussing the next ,over christmas i sat down and started looking through u-tube for settings for wildlife for the camera in case it was user error ,when i came across one where the owner was describing exactly the same issues as i was having .
i sat down and watched the video and although he dragged it out for 10 minutes or more its basically explaining that the camera functions in exactly the same way as a computer and can get overloaded with info .the cure is simple and effective ,you take out the main battery and also the little back up battery inside the compartment door ,let the camera stand for a hour then re-insert both batteries and switch on again ,in my case all i had to do was set the date info etc and taken it out for a test run today its a different camera with every shot coming out properly exposed and sharp within the bounds of my own usage .

if your having similar problems worth a go it won't hurt anything .

Perhaps I am missing reading something here Frank.....why did you take out the battery? jim

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back