Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 27th March 2007, 04:08   #1
BirdieGirl

Birding in Maui?

Hi all! I'm headed to Maui for a week in May and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about good places for birding, or good field guides. Any advice would help :)

Thanks!
Old Tuesday 27th March 2007, 06:30   #2
emupilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieGirl
Hi all! I'm headed to Maui for a week in May and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me about good places for birding, or good field guides. Any advice would help :)

Thanks!
The Hawaii Audubon Society puts out a field guide. For a bird finding guide, I recommend The Birdwatcher's Guide to Hawai'i by Rick Soehren. Basically, you'll have lots of introduced birds near the resorts, water birds (including endemic coot, moorhen, and stilt) in lowland ponds, and endemic forest birds at high altitudes. I haven't been to Maui, but the premier spot for birders is Hosmer Grove and especially the adjacent Waikamoi Preserve owned by the Nature Conservancy. Those areas are good for 'Apapane, 'I'iwi, 'Amakihi, Maui 'Alauahio and with luck even 'Akohekohe and Maui Parrotbill. You have to make reservations with either Haleakala National Park or the Nature Conservancy for a guided tour to visit the Waikamoi Preserve. Haleakala is also good for Nene and Pueo (Short-eared Owl). Good luck!
Old Wednesday 28th March 2007, 21:37   #3
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by emupilot
The Hawaii Audubon Society puts out a field guide. For a bird finding guide, I recommend The Birdwatcher's Guide to Hawai'i by Rick Soehren. Basically, you'll have lots of introduced birds near the resorts, water birds (including endemic coot, moorhen, and stilt) in lowland ponds, and endemic forest birds at high altitudes. I haven't been to Maui, but the premier spot for birders is Hosmer Grove and especially the adjacent Waikamoi Preserve owned by the Nature Conservancy. Those areas are good for 'Apapane, 'I'iwi, 'Amakihi, Maui 'Alauahio and with luck even 'Akohekohe and Maui Parrotbill. You have to make reservations with either Haleakala National Park or the Nature Conservancy for a guided tour to visit the Waikamoi Preserve. Haleakala is also good for Nene and Pueo (Short-eared Owl). Good luck!
Despite the hassle and cost, I would strongly recommend a guided visit to Waikamoi board walk on Maui - at the end of the walkway is a platform from which 'Akohekohe is regularly seen. I saw one here at close range feeding on Ohia blooms. Maui Parrotbill is around but very elusive. I'iwi is generally easy around the parking area at Hosmer Grove (much easier than on Kauai).
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: