• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdwatching in a big city, Barcelona (1 Viewer)

Alpine swifts seem to be on the increase in Barcelona. Wonder if it's because they arrive earlier than the Common, and get first pick of ever-dwindling nesting sites.

Just noticed this thread. Excellent stuff. Just returned from a 5 day family break in this great city, so not much chance to do birding. Stayed at the Pere IV Hotel in Bogatel district. A good hotel it is too even if the district is slightly run down.
Plenty of alpine swifts about. I just loved watching these 'super swifts' mingling with the common swifts from my top floor hotel room. Monk parakeets were everywhere. I saw sardinian warblers at Parc Guell along with a short toed trecreeper. Also had a sardinian warbler in a palm tree in the Olympic Village area. Saw a few spotless starlings, serins and little egrets. I would love to return again some day and put in some proper birding in the area instead of randomely noticing things while trying to take in the sites. Spring and autumn must be the best times to visit. Well done Allen.

Si.

Interesting to hear from you, Si. I bet that it was good watching the swifts from almost eye level. A short-toed treecreeper was a good find in my experience. I have only seen one once in 14 visits to Barcelona, and that was in 2010 at Parc de la Ciutadella (post #20).

Allen

Alpine swifts seem to be on the increase in Barcelona. Wonder if it's because they arrive earlier than the Common, and get first pick of ever-dwindling nesting sites.

Lucy,

It was good to hear from you again. You make an interesting observation.

The common swifts have decreased in the Isle of Man during my lifetime and that is at least partly due to buildings with suitable nest sites being renovated or replaced. For the first time there were none at all in my home town of Peel in May when I returned home from Barcelona, but there have been a few about in July. Last night there was a flock of 14 over my house, the most that I have seen over the town for many years.

Allen

Short-toed Treecreeper

A short-toed treecreeper was a good find in my experience. I have only seen one once in 14 visits to Barcelona...

Actually Allen Short-toed Treecreeper is quite common in Barcelona's parks and, because of their relatively more open nature over the treescapes out 'in the wild' as it were, are often easier to get good views.

I think people miss them because we don't know them well enough in flight, dismissing any sighting as a LBJ. The best way to see them is to learn their rather melodic and easy to recognise song, keep an ear cocked and track them from that.

Good luck next time!

Treecreepers

Actually Allen Short-toed Treecreeper is quite common in Barcelona's parks and, because of their relatively more open nature over the treescapes out 'in the wild' as it were, are often easier to get good views.

I think people miss them because we don't know them well enough in flight, dismissing any sighting as a LBJ. The best way to see them is to learn their rather melodic and easy to recognise song, keep an ear cocked and track them from that.

Good luck next time!

Aye, with me and any species of treecreeper, luck is what is needed to see them! I must admit, though, in Barcelona I don't dismiss anything as a LBJ or, indeed, any other sort of BJ!

Allen

Last edited:
I haven't checked this thread for a while but I'm pleased to see it is still 'alive and kicking', though sorry to hear about the Pergegrines. I reckon that the Llobregat area is a reasonable inclusion (it's in zone 1 on the T10, isn't it?).

We're back in Catalunya in two weeks time and in Barcelona in three, so I'll try to get up to Tibidabo again for the raptors and will report back.

Tours

We're back in Catalunya in two weeks time and in Barcelona in three

Hi guys

You're certainly a glutton for punishment aren't you? If you're interested in a tour share, perhaps meeting you somewhere en route if you're going to be 'about the place', I can let you know dates for Pyrenees, Steppes, etc.

You have my email address, I believe, but you can always PM me too.

Have a good 'un.

Thanks Stephen

I think we're probably sorted, itinerary wise, but we're in Vall de Nuria on the 15th, Falgars (nr Pobla de Lillet) on 16th and 17th moving to Tarragona on 18th. If you're up in the north on 17th or 18th then we could link up for a 1/2 day. We've got a few things we'd like to do but could be influenced.

We're in the Hotel Vall de Nuria, Allen, just for one night. From memory it's up at about 2000 metres and there were loads of Citril Finches (much the commonest species) there last September. Reachable via train and mountain tram from Barcelona.

We're in the Hotel Vall de Nuria, Allen, just for one night. From memory it's up at about 2000 metres and there were loads of Citril Finches (much the commonest species) there last September. Reachable via train and mountain tram from Barcelona.

Yes, I've been up there on day trips 3 times, most recently 6 years ago when I walked up Puigmal. Those were the days! Citril finches were the first birds that I saw when I got out of the cremallera on the first visit, and the lawn was covered with them another time (well, only a slight exaggeration!). There were lots of other species of birds in the area, too.

Allen

I reckon that the Llobregat area is a reasonable inclusion (it's in zone 1 on the T10, isn't it?).

That is another thought, 'tis true. I started out just including birds seen or heard in areas that I visited on foot or by public transport in my Barcelona "list". Yes, I reached El Prat de Llobregat using a zone 1 T10 ticket when Stephen collected me for our Delta de Llobregat visit in May.

Allen

I'm considering El Prat for the last day of our trip later this month Allen. I'm assuming that you simply take the metro to the station of the same name and start walking. Is that about right? Any tips and timings would be appreciated.

I'm considering El Prat for the last day of our trip later this month Allen. I'm assuming that you simply take the metro to the station of the same name and start walking. Is that about right? Any tips and timings would be appreciated.

Walking from Estació El Prat de Llobregat is one suggestion for access to Delta de Llobregat. Me? I arranged a tour with Stephen C, a great day, as mentioned in #56 above. I even learnt what the young ladies waiting by the roadside do with a chair!

Allen

I'll do a proper post later this week, but this might be of immediate interest to anybody in the city this week ...

Between 14:00 and 14:20 on 26th September from the track just below the Castell de Montjuich, overlooking the port, 21 large raptors, including 17 pale-phase and 3 dark phase Booted Eagles, all heading north-east, i.e. along the coast towards France. The other bird was presumably a BE too.

I'll do a proper post later this week, but this might be of immediate interest to anybody in the city this week ...

Between 14:00 and 14:20 on 26th September from the track just below the Castell de Montjuich, overlooking the port, 21 large raptors, including 17 pale-phase and 3 dark phase Booted Eagles, all heading north-east, i.e. along the coast towards France. The other bird was presumably a BE too.

Thanks, Chris,

That sounds amazing. Did they fly past in ones and twos, or in a group?

Allen

Mostly in ones, Allen, but at one point we could see four close together and another approaching. We didn't have the digital SLR with us but I think Julie got a couple of snaps that I might post.

Barcelona and beyond

We didn't see much in Barcelona because the day we had a bit of time to do some birding was wet and miserable, so of possible interest in addition to the eagles was a Crested Tit at Parc Guell and a few Spotless Starlings (one on the Placa d' Espanya roundabout.

At Vall de Nuria there were Citril Finches, Red-billed Choughs and lots of Griffon Vultures, with a couple of juvenile Rock Thrushes in the Pyrenees north of Castellar de 'Hug. Audoin's Gulls were easy to find in Tarragona Harbour were frequently arriving fishing boats were accompanied by large gull flocks. We could probably have got closer had we not been so lazy.

Here's our best pic of a couple of the Montjuich eagles. Sadly we didn't have the SLR with us so it is from the 'point-and-click'.

Attachments

• IMGP8365.JPG
    IMGP8365.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back