• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden Birds and Feeding (1 Viewer)

Paul G

I have a question for you all !

What types of food do your birds like ?

I live in the Netherlands and have experimented with all kinds of foods, seeds e.t.c.
I have 4 feeders hanging from a large Walnut tree and a standing feeder for the larger birds (Jays, Wood Pidgeons, Doves, Blackbirds e.t.c.)

I have tried Nijer Seeds for the Great tits, Long tailed tits, and finches but they will not touch it !!! They will only take peanuts and Sunflower seeds.

The Jays will only take peanuts in their shells, (they will not touch the ones already out of the shells). They will not come onto the table for any other type of nut !

Dunnocks:- will take almost anything left on the ground
Wood Pidgeons and Doves :- Anything ! even my wifes pastry ,(though I did see a Woody fly past with a tin of Andrews!!!)
Black Birds:- Tend to go for the normal Pidgeon feed.

Also one last question....Yesterday I was in the garden and saw a small grey mouse on the top of my garden wall (it dissappeared quickly when it saw me), will I be encouraging mice with all this feeding ?

Sunflower hearts are the favourite at the moment, the niger was popular during the winter, but is hardly touched now and the bluetits love the home made suet blocks (with various "fillings"). I also offer wholemeal bread, porridge oats, mixed seed, black sunflower seed, whole peanuts in mesh feeders - and of course I supply mealworms which are taken by blue and great tits, sparrows and robins (the larger birds can't get to them).

The sparrows in my garden just love hen feed. I don't know if the other birds do because they are too big to get into the hen run.
The wood pidgeons eat all my brussel sprouts and cabbages and the plums seem to be very popular with all the medium size birds at the moment -sorry I don't know all their names but I wasn't a bird watcher.
Elizabeth, did I see you recommend a book for newcomers on a thread?
Oriel

Paul G said:
The Jays will only take peanuts in their shells, (they will not touch the ones already out of the shells). They will not come onto the table for any other type of nut !

You seem to have very fussy Jays - mine hang on the nut feeders just like an overgrown Blue Tit!!! Plus the sunflower seeds, fruit in winter and just about anything else I put out...

Elizabeth Bigg said:
It's pretty pricey though!
Indeed it is. You get what you pay for though. Buying very cheap (excuse the pun) is probably a false economy anyway; what, with all the waste etc.

1. wild bird seed.

2. sunflower hearts.

3. fatballs.

4. sultanas.

5. mixed fruit.

6.in winter, beef dripping put into half a coconut shell, with a mixture of seeds.
bert.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back