• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting Close to those Birds ! (1 Viewer)

Paul G

I have seen a lot of posts on this site asking how to "stalk" birds.
As I dont go running up and down the countryside trying to get that "tick" but prefer the sanctitude of my garden, I will tell you how I get close to them.

When topping up your feeders make all of them aware what you are doing ( whistling does it for me) they all seem to know now.Remember to do this everytime and they will soon catch on. Next step is to get a nice comfortable chair and sit down 2 meters from the feeders and keep very still.I can guarantee that the first tentative visit will be from a tit of some description, his friends will soon follow after seeing that no harm has come to him.Remember that they still know that you are there "very close" and they will be wary, but cannot resist those sunflower seeds.After a few days of doing this, start moving a little in your chair i.e. Picking up your glass of beer B :) reading the paper e.t.c. At fist they will scatter but once the movement is recognised as "non threatening" they will return and become used to it. Gradually other birds will come (after watching under cover).
I now have a Jay that comes to the garden and takes peanuts out of my hand (he was very very shy).
This all takes time, but just be patient and the rewards will come o:)

Paul, it works for me too.

Strangely enough, I find that if I go outside and just stand there waiting for them, they don't appear. But, if I appear to be doing something, close by to the feeders, they tend to ignore me and come down. When I'm topping up the feeders, I can hear them all waiting in the bushes twittering away. They obviously know what is going on.

I have also placed a chair close to the feeders and waited. It does work. And yes, it is always a tit of some sort who is the first visitor.

As they say, patience is a virtue...

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back