• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Information reely wanted please (1 Viewer)

West End Birder

It might be getting a bit late and / or the info I seek might not be postable (if there is a word) but is there anywhere in Hampshire (preferably not too far from Southampton) that I could go and see (not hear, done that) a Grasshopper Warbler. Perhaps someone could PM me.

I have only ever seen a half at Radipole years ago, and would like to catch up with one of these if possible. I do know somewhere that they were a few years ago (heard but not seen) but not been there lately and not going to reveal on here.

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

Hi Rob,

No reported sights yet this year - I'm keeping an eye/ear out at Lower Test/Testwood Lakes and will let you know if I find one (fingers crossed!). Other areas in the past have been Titchfield Haven (canal path) and Fishlake Meadows just north of Romsey.

Cheers,

N

If you want to see a Gropper, the earlier after dawn you try, the better - before 6-7 a.m., they frequently sing from exposed perches in full view, which they do much less often later in the day. Dusk can also work, but not as well as dawn.

Can't help with Hampshire sites (I'm surprised they appear to be so rare down there though!). If you were willing to travel, there's plenty of good locations up here in Northumbs :king:

Attachments

• Picture 664a.jpg
    Picture 664a.jpg
    498.8 KB · Views: 83
Ha, I have just landed from Newcastle and read your post! Damn!

Rob
Ouch! "Just landed" = by air?? In which case, particularly galling as one of the best sites is barely over a mile from the airport . . . actually, there's a site right next to the airport perimeter fence, too :'D

Hi Rob,

I'd get in on one of the ringing sessions at the Haven. They've ringed hundreds over the last few years.

Dave

Tried and failed on that - I know Trevor C seems to ring hundreds of them but I have never been quick enough off the mark to get in on the action.

Never mind, must make an effort next Spring (I say that every year) - surely they breed in Hampshire, there must be one somewhere!

Not finished for this year yet, still plenty of time - they go on singing well for at least 2-3 more weeks, and then again (preparing for 2nd brood?) in late June and July, even into early August. A dawn start does become more important as spring and summer progress though.

Thanks for that, I really (reely) need to make an effort. I did visit where I have heard them before but not a sausage there, but plenty of Brown Rats - nice

Fresh influx of Groppers here, two new singing strongly on my local patch the last few days in areas where none were in spring - so not just second broods, new arrivals on new territories.

Attachments

• Picture 704b.jpg
    Picture 704b.jpg
    595.2 KB · Views: 38
If I were you I'd have a go at Bishop's Dyke in the New Forest. Get there early as Nutcracker said. I have no idea if birds are present but it strikes me as a likely spot. If they're not, there should be plenty of other bits to make it a good morning all the same.

Cheers,

Will

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back