• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SF 32 mm (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Thanks to Perseid on the 'Anyone else at American Bird Expo?' thread for posting this:

"I asked when we could expect a 32mm SF, and Mr. Ingraham said we might see them around next August; he also indicated that there would be some design tweaks in the new 32mm design based on experience gained from the original 42mm models (but he also said these tweaks would likely be minor and go unnoticed by many folks)".​

This strongly suggests SF 32 may be launched at next year's British Birdwatching Fair.

Lee

Thanks to Perseid on the 'Anyone else at American Bird Expo?' thread for posting this:

"I asked when we could expect a 32mm SF, and Mr. Ingraham said we might see them around next August; he also indicated that there would be some design tweaks in the new 32mm design based on experience gained from the original 42mm models (but he also said these tweaks would likely be minor and go unnoticed by many folks)".​

This strongly suggests SF 32 may be launched at next year's British Birdwatching Fair.

Lee

Which means we might actually see them commonly available in the marketplace free from defects and quality and component material supply problems, oooh ..... I'd say, sometime north of 2020 ...... :smoke:

Now the CFRP Ultra FL x32 HT's could be out next year ...... iffinif Zeiss knew what it was doin' :cat:

Chosun :gh:

Which means we might actually see them commonly available in the marketplace free from defects and quality and component material supply problems, oooh ..... I'd say, sometime north of 2020 ...... :smoke:

Now the CFRP Ultra FL x32 HT's could be out next year ...... iffinif Zeiss knew what it was doin' :cat:

Chosun :gh:

LOL. Actually you are right (for once :-O) about CFRP getting cheaper. I have read that new methods of production and ability to recycle not only used but unused off-cuts (trimmings) is getting better and cheaper.

Lee

Lee

All I know is I have to start saving the $$$ so I'm ready when they do show up. I greatly prefer the 8x32 form factor, and I think I'd be willing to spend the extra money upgrading from my Conquest HDs to the SFs.

2016 is the date then.

Thanks for that Lee.

We're be looking at a 8x with a fov over 150m and a 10x over 130m I imagine..

Does anyone know how the SF has impacted on sales?

Or does Swarovski still hold the title of most sold Alphas.

Cheers Tim

Look again at the quotation from Stephen Ingraham I have to point out he is reported as saying we 'might' see them next August.

Hence I posted that this 'suggests' they 'may' be launched at next years Birdwatching Fair.

Don't break out the bubbly yet :-O

Lee

Last edited:
Well they pulled off 440+ with the 8x42 and it has good eye relief. I don't find it unreasonable to think they could pull off at least average, if not better than average, eye relief with the 8x32.

Frank,

I think one of the last Brunton 8x32s had a FOV in that range. It cost under $300.00 as I recall and its ER was 10mm but it was not a state of the art binocular.

It is going to cost a lot to design a 16mm eye piece with about a 9.2º field and give it comfortable eye relief. While we are talking about costs is this a good time to ask if it will also have a flat field?

The Nikon 8x30 EII has just over 13mm for it's 8.8º field. I can use it without trouble but I think it is a special case.

Bob

Frank,
It is going to cost a lot to design a 16mm eye piece with about a 9.2º field and give it comfortable eye relief. While we are talking about costs is this a good time to ask if it will also have a flat field?
Bob

Erfle-style eyepieces like the one in the SF have good eye relief, and a flat field is a given I think, as the 8x and 10x SF also have it.

HN

Erfle-style eyepieces like the one in the SF have good eye relief, and a flat field is a given I think, as the 8x and 10x SF also have it.

HN

I don't think that Swarovski is going to give away the secret of how they managed to put an eyepiece with a wide, flat field and 20mm of ER into their 8x32 Swarovision except to say that they designed it that way.

What ever they did wasn't cheap to accomplish.

Bob

This was posted some time back by a fellow from Swarovski. I don't know exactly what is meant.

Paramount to the ease of view of a pair of binoculars is the size of the edge bundle (Randpupille), a metric/property that I cannot ever remember having seen mentioned or explored on BirdForum. Naturally, the other factors, like the exit pupil diameter and eyecup shape, mentioned above, will also influence how easy it is to find the image. Said optical viewing comfort is obviously not a completely independent parameter and - for example - the easiest way to increase the field of view of our binoculars would be to sacrifice some of the edge bundle. This makes for a great improvement of the technical data sheet and impressive to look through, but would come at a very real cost to viewing comfort.

I don't think that Swarovski is going to give away the secret of how they managed to put an eyepiece with a wide, flat field and 20mm of ER into their 8x32 Swarovision except to say that they designed it that way.

What ever they did wasn't cheap to accomplish.

Bob

This was posted some time back by a fellow from Swarovski. I don't know exactly what is meant.

Paramount to the ease of view of a pair of binoculars is the size of the edge bundle (Randpupille), a metric/property that I cannot ever remember having seen mentioned or explored on BirdForum. Naturally, the other factors, like the exit pupil diameter and eyecup shape, mentioned above, will also influence how easy it is to find the image. Said optical viewing comfort is obviously not a completely independent parameter and - for example - the easiest way to increase the field of view of our binoculars would be to sacrifice some of the edge bundle. This makes for a great improvement of the technical data sheet and impressive to look through, but would come at a very real cost to viewing comfort.

Yes, I don't know what that means either, but I know what it looks like. Whatever it is the 8x32 SV has it. :t:

Mark

PS: Call it "slap 'em on your face" easy viewing and go birding! I'm not interested in precise eye placement, on a tripod, with a NASA chart, in a lab, or whatever it is. I'm going birding! Give me something that works! Thanks Swaro.

Last edited:

I'm pretty sure this "Randpupille" quote is about vignetting of the exit pupil at the edge of the field, which has been explored several times here. I've written a few times, for instance, on the subject of using defocused star points to directly observe the extent to which off-axis exit pupils are vignetted in different binoculars.

The fact is no binocular maintains the same fully round exit pupil of the field center all the way the field edge. Internal apertures, usually associated with the prisms, turn the round exit pupil bundle into a cat's eye shape bundle that increasingly narrows toward the edge. I believe binocular designers have long considered the area of the cat's eye at the edge to be visually harmless as long as its area is al least 50% of the area of the full exit pupil in the center. If more field width is imposed by increasing the diameter of the eyepiece field stop without increasing the size of the prisms that will reduce the area of the cat's eye at the edge to less than 50%, which would visibly darken the field edge and make pupil positioning more critical for avoiding edge blackouts.

Even without considering the added weight and size there's a limit to how large binocular prisms can be made because the light path through the prisms has to be short enough to fit between the back the objective and the eyepiece field stop. In small binoculars with internal focusing lenses there is simply not enough space for really big prisms.

I'm pretty sure this "Randpupille" quote is about vignetting of the exit pupil at the edge of the field, which has been explored several times here. I've written a few times, for instance, on the subject of using defocused star points to directly observe the extent to which off-axis exit pupils are vignetted in different binoculars.

The fact is no binocular maintains the same fully round exit pupil of the field center all the way the field edge. Internal apertures, usually associated with the prisms, turn the round exit pupil bundle into a cat's eye shape bundle that increasingly narrows toward the edge. I believe binocular designers have long considered the area of the cat's eye at the edge to be visually harmless as long as its area is al least 50% of the area of the full exit pupil in the center. If more field width is imposed by increasing the diameter of the eyepiece field stop without increasing the size of the prisms that will reduce the area of the cat's eye at the edge to less than 50%, which would visibly darken the field edge and make pupil positioning more critical for avoiding edge blackouts.

Even without considering the added weight and size there's a limit to how large binocular prisms can be made because the light path through the prisms has to be short enough to fit between the back the objective and the eyepiece field stop. In small binoculars with internal focusing lenses there is simply not enough space for really big prisms.

I would agree with that interpretation of 'Randpupille'. To have a wide field and a low level of vignetting, the prisms have to turn larger.

To avoid the geometric restrictions you mentioned in your last paragraph, Zeiss has once found a smart solution: With their 4x20 binocular (field of view above 300m/1000m) of the 1930s, they used a kind of inverse tele-design for the objectives: The front lens was a negative lens, followed by an air space, then the positive lens. Such a telescope builds longer than its focal length (because the objective's principal plane is located deep inside the binocular), and thus allows for the application of oversized prisms.

Kind regards,
Holger

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back