• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ontario Birding-June or Aug.-Sep.? (1 Viewer)

transform777

Hi to experts on the Ontario scene!

I want to do some birding (with a base in London) in Ontario this year and expect to be able to get to Long Point, Toronto area, perhaps Kingston and Point Pelee National Park.

What would be better, if at all, between approx 6-21st of June or start Aug. to mid Sept.?

Many thanks in advance!!

Can´t you manage to go in the last 3 weeks of May or May /June? Main migration over there (lots of wood warblers) and already some breeding birds (Yellow Warbler, Red-winged Blackbird, Killdeer, etc.).
Can´t tell about fall birding over there but, AFAIK, it´s not as good as spring. Plus you´ll have more birds with juvenile plumage in fall! A reall challenge to ID them!

Hi transform,

It really depends a whole lot on what you want. If you want to find a good number of breeding birds, and see them in relatively fresh plumage, June is okay - although, as Stonechat says, May would be much better. However, early summer birding has some drawbacks. The primary one is that migration (at least in the south, which is where you'll be, it looks like) is all over by then, with the exception of the last straggling shorebirds. Therefore, many of the most desirable birds will not be around those birding hotspots that you mention - they will all be on breeding grounds way up in the boreal forest. You can go there, of course, but it takes time.

On the other hand, in August/September, the migration southward is getting into full swing - the birds (well, warblers, at least) are often found in 'confusing' plumages. However, there will be a lot more of them, increasing your chance of finding any given species. If you're on the north shore of Lake Erie in mid- late September, you will also get to see the spectacle of the massive Broad-winged Hawk migration, which is something that we don't see in spring.

The only real drawback to a August/September trip, that I can see, is that (as has been mentioned) the birds are a lot quieter - virtually no species will still be singing by that point.

Another factor to consider is mosquitoes - these will be very dense in June (I have lots of experience in this area - unfortunately!). The don't go away, by any means, by late summer, but the numbers decrease somewhat.

Peter, are there other mosquitoes in June like this species (Chironomus plumosus) which I met regulary? Don´t be afraid transform777, they don´t "bite" ;)

Attachments

• Zuckmücken - Männchen (Chironomus plumosus).jpg
    Zuckmücken - Männchen (Chironomus plumosus).jpg
    228 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Peter, are there other mosquitoes in June like this species (Chironomus plumosus) which I met regulary? Don´t be afraid transform777, they don´t "bite" ;)
Wow. Nice photo of a 'buzzer midge'....

I, too have encountered that species, mostly around marshes (esp. Phragamites, but in other areas too). In the spring, they hatch out in clouds of truly astonishing size - there must be millions per square km. I remember one particular May weekend, on Pelee Island, when the wind came strongly (and atypically) out of the east. Great swarms of them hovered in the lee of every tree and bush on the western shore - it was the most massive conglomeration of insects I have ever seen. The buzzing was audible wherever you went, and the treetops all had a sort of haze around them.

True, this is a harmless non-biting species. It's their relatives (mostly in Aedes and Culex) that are the problem! One species or other will make life hell, every time you enter a forest in southern Ontario, from late May on....

Last edited:
To quote a popular Scottish song:

The midgies, the midgies, I'm no gonna kid yees
The midgies are really the limit
With teeth like piranhas they drive you bananas
If you let them get under your simmet (vest)

;)

Thanks to all for replies! Yes, that is what I expected, mosquitoes, mostly resident species etc in June. Maybe I'll opt for Sept. and embrace identification challenges ;) Cheers!

It would be fine to hear from you again, transform777, whatever date you choose now ;-)
Amen to that!

Do try to spend some time at the LPBO station near Port Rowan, if you can go during fall migration - aside from its obvious attraction as a migration hot spot, it's a good place to pick up what you might call "the latest gen".

May even run across me there, if you're unlucky!

PC.

'Twas early in the spring when I decide to go
For to work up in the woods in North Ontar-i-o;
And the unemployment office said they'd send me through
To the Little Abitibi with the survey crew
And the black flies, the little black flies,
Always the black fly no matter where you go;
I'll die with the black fly a-pickin' my bones,
In North Ontar-i-o-i-o, in North Ontar-i-o.

And the man Black Tobey was the captain of the crew
And he said, I'm gonna tell you boys, what we're gonna do:
They want to build a power dam; we must find a way
For to make the Little Ab flow around the other way
With the black flies, the little black flies,

So we survey to the east, survey to the west,
Couldn't make our minds up how to do it best;
Little Ab, Little Ab, what shall I do?
I'm all but goin' crazy with the survey crew

It was blackfly, blackfly, everywhere,
A-crawlin' in your whiskers, crawlin' in your hair;
Swimmin' in the soup, swimmin' in the tea,
And the devil take the blackfly, let me be.
Black flies, the little black flies,

Black Tobey fell to swearin'; the work went slow,
The state of our morale was a-gettin' pretty low;
The flies swarmed heavy; hard to catch your breath,
As you staggered up and down the trail a-talkin' to yourself

Well now, the bull cook's name was Blind River Joe,
If it hadn't been for him we'd 've never pulled through;
'Cause he bound up our bruises and he kidded us for fun,
And he lathered us with bacon grease and balsam gum.

And at last the job was over; Black Tobey said we're through
With the Little Abitibi and the survey crew!
'Twas a wonderful experience and this I know:
I'll never go again to North Ontar-i-o

In North Ontar-i-o-i-o, in North Ontar-i-o

-Wade Hemsworth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo&feature=kp

Last edited:
It is a good one ... though, I have to admit that, musically at least, I prefer the Travellers' version (not available on YouTube, apparently).

When I lived in Michegan, I found that the south shore of Lake Eire (Ohio) was the more productive in May and the north shore (Ontario) in August/September. This could change depending on the location of weather fronts. I never found the Mossies too bad. If you want Mossies, try Fairbanks, Alaska!

Dave

'Twas early in the spring when I decide to go
For to work up in the woods in North Ontar-i-o;
And the unemployment office said they'd send me through
To the Little Abitibi with the survey crew

And the man Black Tobey was the captain of the crew
And he said, I'm gonna tell you boys, what we're gonna do:
They want to build a power dam; we must find a way
For to make the Little Ab flow around the other way

So we survey to the east, survey to the west,
Couldn't make our minds up how to do it best;
Little Ab, Little Ab, what shall I do?
I'm all but goin' crazy with the survey crew

It was blackfly, blackfly, everywhere,
A-crawlin' in your whiskers, crawlin' in your hair;
Swimmin' in the soup, swimmin' in the tea,
And the devil take the blackfly, let me be.
Black flies, the little black flies,

Black Tobey fell to swearin'; the work went slow,
The state of our morale was a-gettin' pretty low;
The flies swarmed heavy; hard to catch your breath,
As you staggered up and down the trail a-talkin' to yourself

Well now, the bull cook's name was Blind River Joe,
If it hadn't been for him we'd 've never pulled through;
'Cause he bound up our bruises and he kidded us for fun,
And he lathered us with bacon grease and balsam gum.

And at last the job was over; Black Tobey said we're through
With the Little Abitibi and the survey crew!
'Twas a wonderful experience and this I know:
I'll never go again to North Ontar-i-o

In North Ontar-i-o-i-o, in North Ontar-i-o

-Wade Hemsworth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjLBXb1kgMo&feature=kp

In the interests of fairness and tourism ;) , I have been asked to state that the blackfly season in all but the most northerly parts of Ontario is a very early spring phenom that lasts only a few days to a week, abruptly ending with the first spell of warm weather. The flies can be overcome with clothing and repellant. Well, sort of. And a bad season is a memorable experience you can talk (brag) about for the rest of your life.

And to answer the OP, June is definitely preferable over late summer. In June the birds are still singing in breeding plumage and by September many species are in drab plumage and/or are already on their way back south. OTOH, you can often pick up some accidentals in the fall that are not seen at other times. May is the prime birding month, of course, when you get birds migrating north in breeding plumage.

Last edited:
And to answer the OP, June is definitely preferable over late summer. In June the birds are still singing in breeding plumage and by September many species are in drab plumage and/or are already on their way back south. OTOH, you can often pick up some accidentals in the fall that are not seen at other times. May is the prime birding month, of course, when you get birds migrating north in breeding plumage.

Depends very much on where you are. Here in the "Deep South" of the province, June is death on wheels, for the most part; if it weren't for my BBS route, I wouldn't be out in June or July at all. At least in September, there's some migration going on.

Thanks for further replies. It has become an epic voyage - what started with an obligatory trip to London, turned into Hawaii, Seattle, Vancouver and Toronto areas, spread over start Aug. to end Sept. I am pretty excited about all this - great to see that there are so many keen birders in Canada!

It has become an epic voyage - what started with an obligatory trip to London, turned into Hawaii, Seattle, Vancouver and Toronto areas, spread over start Aug. to end Sept.
Wow. That's a very long trip.

If the London, Ontario, portion of your trip is going to be at the end (that is, in September), you really must try to get down to Port Stanley, on the Lake Erie north shore. The Broad-winged Hawk migration kicks in around then, and on a sunny day you can see kettles of thousands at a time.

Port Stanely's lagoons can be very good for waders, too.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back