• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mourning Dove and nest in the heat (1 Viewer)

ks43715

Hi. I'm new to the forum and wanted to get some feedback re: the mourning dove I have in my potted orange tree. The orange tree is on my outside upstairs deck in the full sun/heat and I can see the bird panting everyday b/c of the heat. Today it is 105 outside. My tree is in a 20 gallon pot and I find it very very difficult to move, so moving it into the shade is not doable. I've tried to create shade for the bird/nest (2 eggs), however my plants aren't tall enough.

My question is this: should I be concerned about hyperthermia to my mourning dove and soon to be babies? Or can they withstand the hot temps? And... any suggestions as to how to create shade without my tree losing sun. It's been a lot of fun watching the birds, but I fear it's going to become too hot for them. Thanks for any feedback.

Hello and welcome to the forum. We have doves that nest in full sunlight here in Arizona, I would leave everything alone - make sure there is water available. The doves here love visiting the bird bath.

Great! I have a birdbath in the shade on my deck and make sure to keep it filled. Thanks for the feedback and the welcome

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back