• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mighty Midgets: Terra 32 vs Conquest 32 vs CL 30 (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
Background
Zeiss has dipped a toe into the less ambitious regions of the binoculars market in the past with the plastic-bodied Diafun 8x30 and 10x30, and the Design Selection pocket binoculars in 4x12, 6x18, 8x20 and 10x25 formats, but it wasn’t until the first generation Conquests was introduced over 10 years ago that Zeiss looked like a real contender in the less-than-premium market. The first Conquests comprised 8x20 and 10x25 pockets, 8/10x30 mids, 8/10x40 standards and 12/15x45s. In more recent times Zeiss has begun to look far more serious with its line-up of three tiers comprising Terra ED, Conquest HD and Victory HT, SF and FL models. Unlike the first Conquests with their slightly undersized objectives and modest fields of view and close-focus distances, the current Conquests and Terras get ‘full-sized’ objectives and competitive specifications.

Swarovski’s roof prism offerings have been at the premium end of the market until relatively recently when the more affordable CL range was introduced, now consisting of the 8/10x25 pockets and the 8x30 Companion.

Visiting us today we have the recently introduced Zeiss Terra ED 8x32, the 2012 Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 and Swarovski’s CL Companion 8x30 which launched in 2011. In the accompanying photograph of this test’s contenders, the more eagle-eyed may notice that the Conquest looks a little second-hand. This is because I have had it for almost a year now and it has been heavily used. I thought I had spruced it up nicely but the camera lens reveals a less than perfect result.

Price and Specifications
At the time of writing, the retail prices (not list prices) in the UK, European Union and USA pan out like this (but please don’t blame me if your local prices vary from these):

Conquest HD 8x32 £590 / €745/ $900
Terra ED 8x32 £319 / €379 / $320
CL Companion 8x30 £750 / €900/ $1,000

Scanning through the specifications we can see several points of interest. The Terra and CL run almost neck and neck for length and weight at 125mm / 4.9in and 510g / 18oz for the Terra, and 119mm / 4.7in and 500g / 17.6oz for the CL. The Conquest is a little longer at 132mm and significantly heavier at 630g / 22ozs which I attribute to its aluminium body, the Terra being fibreglass-reinforced plastic and the CL a mix of plastic and some aluminium. So the CL is the shortest and lightest here, the Terra is very close behind and the Conquest is definitely more grown-up in size and weight.

The CL’s field of view provides a rather modest portion of the scenery despite Swarovski’s promoting it as the traveller’s companion:

CL 124m at 1km 372ft at 1,000yds
Terra 135m at 1km 405ft at 1,000yds
Conquest 140m at 1km 420ft at 1,000yds

Similarly, when it comes to close-focus capability, the CL harks back to a time 10 years ago or more:

CL 3.0m / 9.8ft
Terra 1.5m / 4.9ft
Conquest 1.5m / 4.9ft

One line of argument could be that maximising the field of view and giving a competitive close-focus would have added size and weight, and so were out of the question if the 30mm objective rather than a 32mm, indicates that keeping the CL compact and light was the number one priority. This reasoning is contradicted by the almost equally compact and lightweight 32mm Terra that has delivered all of these attributes, so it can be done.

Inter-pupillary Distance Range
Zeiss has provided 54-76mm IPDs in the past so it is a shame to note the step backwards taken with Terra and Conquest offering only 56-74mm. In particular, while the little Terra is suitable for people of all statures, its light weight and compact size should be especially attractive to smaller people and the IPD range should have been specified to include these in my opinion. The CL also only provides 56 – 74mm. If manufacturers want to attract the broadest possible market for their products they need to make sure they will fit the broadest possible range of people.

Impressions in the Hand
The CL is a most attractive instrument and in the hand feels worth every penny of the asking price, which makes its modest specifications all the more puzzling. Both Terra and Conquest benefit from the elegant new Zeiss ‘family’ appearance, and also feel built to last.

While all 3 units handle nicely, the extra weight of the Conquest is immediately noticeable, although anyone used to the roughly 800 grams / 29ozs of 42 mm bins will view its 630 grams / 22ozs with relief.

Eyecups, Eye-relief and Accessories
The eyecups, rain-guard and objective covers work well on the Conquest, so for once you don’t have to read a tirade of criticism from me about Zeiss accessories. Indeed I am going to lavish praise on the eyecups carried by the Terra, which although they have only two positions (fine at this price level) feel and move with a feeling of solidity and precision that puts to shame those on Zeiss’s top Victory models. The CL’s eyecups are the usual Swarovski fare which means excellent. There has been no specification down-grading here.

Eye-relief for the two Zeisses is published as 16mm and the CL as 15mm, and no problems were encountered with any of them.

The cases supplied with the CL and Conquest are the familiar green clam-shell for the CL and usual black case for the Conquest. Terra comes only with a soft draw-string pouch and hereby hangs a tale. I understand that the transparent plastic display case in which the Terra is shipped was designed to make the binoculars visible in those ‘pile-em high’ stores in the USA, which house mountains of cartons inside which the products are normally invisible. Unfortunately the display case has no room in it for a carrying case. One argument goes like this: every pair of binoculars should be supplied with a case whatever the price level. Another argument says: many people don’t use the carrying case at all, so why not make the binoculars available at the lowest price possible and then let folks buy the case of their choice, ranging from none at all, up to a Pelican case, if that’s what they want.

For those in the US, you can contact Zeiss and they will supply a case for a very nominal charge and for those in the rest of the world the Zeiss black case in 32mm size is widely available if you would like that one, and there are so many others available it’s not really an issue.

Focus Wheels
The CL’s focus is smooth and luxurious but is so stiff that I had a hard time getting a focus on even moderately fast birds. Using it for sight-seeing this was no problem at all and it did give a feeling of precision and quality of build. It may ease with use of course but there was no sign of this happening during its stay with me.

Both Conquest and Terra have smooth focus actions and both are fast enough (the Conquest is faster) to get on butterflies and dragonflies and other similarly unpredictable beasts. Recently, the Conquest was my mainstay in the South of France where the insect fauna is huge, and combined with the many special birds present to make great demands on speed and accuracy of focus, and the Conquest was excellent in this environment.

Dioptre Adjuster
The CL has a dioptre adjuster so stiff that no way could it be rotated while the instrument was held up to the eyes. It took some determination to rotate it at all, so setting it took an inordinate amount of time. Once set it didn’t move, but this unit is unacceptable and needs to go back to the factory. To be fair I have met this type of defect before on several brands including Zeiss. However I checked with two Swaro dealers in two different countries and they both confirmed CL dioptres do tend to be extra stiff. This means the adjustment should be reliable of course, but do check to make sure yours is actually adjustable when held up to the eyes.

The two other instruments were easy to set and they too proved reliable over the course of the field work.

Optical Performance
I visited the same site with this trio as for the SF and EL shoot-out and used the same targets to explore their optical capabilities. Geese, Swans, Coots, Grebes, ducks, Swifts and Swallows, together with the feathers they left behind, all played their part.

I started by examining the feather textures on the waterfowl and then moved on to a critical examination of the structure of the discarded feathers, the most demanding of which were the down feathers with their wispy filaments.

The Conquest rendered the fine tips of these filaments sharply, the Terra and CL less so, with the Terra actually being a little sharper than the CL. Having said that, this difference between CL and Terra was not noticeable in normal viewing so for practical purposes you can say they performed at the same level.

Given its price I was somewhat surprised that the CL was competing with the Terra and not the Conquest, so after a few days I conducted more tests, starting with the CL first so that when assessing it my eyes were fresh. The results were the same.

All three units delivered realistic colours but the Conquest’s view was brighter and livelier, with noticeably better contrast than the other two. I think the Terra could be forgiven for this in view of its price, but not the Swarovski.

Chromatic aberration did not intrude with any of the three in normal viewing, but could just be seen on white swans against dark backgrounds, right at the edge of the field of view. I suspect I might have been tilting the units to see the edges and so could have been looking off-axis and exacerbating this effect.

Summing up
This trio of medium-format binoculars might appear to be similar but actually various factors combine to differentiate them sufficiently for the concept of an overall winner to be not very useful. More than ever it’s a case of what you want from these binoculars, the size of your budget, and your personal take on what constitutes value for money.

Choosing
The CL has received some tough criticism from many quarters for its optics, something I think that has been driven by disappointment that it doesn’t have EL-standard optics, but rather over-looking the fact that it doesn’t carry an EL price. In fact this attractive little instrument certainly has the build-quality to justify the price and while its accomplishments are decidedly modest, it is by no means a bad binocular.

Does this leave the attractive CL all dressed up and no place to go? Not at all. Maybe you already own a bigger Swaro and you want something smaller and lighter than an EL 8x32, and considerably cheaper at £750 / $1,000, compared with the EL at £1440 / $1950 (although some special offers are currently available on ELs). If so and if your new compacts must have that Swarovski chic, then CL will fit the bill for you. Dress up and take it to the horse racing or golf tournament and it will always look smarter than you. Take it out sight-seeing or birding and it will do a good job. Whether it is good value for money is a different question and one that can only be answered by you.

If you want the best optics of the bunch and don’t mind the extra heft, then the Conquest is the one to go for. It has a great field of view and close focus, and a focusing speed fast enough to get on butterflies but not so fast that you can’t get a quick and accurate focus on birds.

On the other hand your budget might be lower and maybe you want a great specification but in a lighter and more compact package, with good optics and excellent value for money, in which case you will find that the Terra ticks all the right boxes.

Attachments

• TerraTrio.jpg
    TerraTrio.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 724
Nice review. I think the Terra is a little outclassed here though. Did you compare the Swarovski 8x30 CL at dusk to the others. This is where I found the Swarovski really shines. I generally agree with your results though. I found the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 to be the best binocular optically in that $1k price range although the Swarovski for me had better ergonomics. You have to move up to the alpha's to get better optics than the Conquest HD.

Last edited:
Nice review. I think the Terra is a little outclassed here though. Did you compare the Swarovski 8x30 CL at dusk to the others. This is where I found the Swarovski really shines. I generally agree with your results though. I found the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 to be the best binocular optically in that $1k price range although the Swarovski for me had better ergonomics. You have to move up to the alpha's to bet better optics than the Conquest HD.

Thanks Dennis. No I didn't test at dusk and I agree that the 30mm objectives didn't disadvantage the CL for brightness.

Lee

If what you say is true, then the CL is 60% overpriced. I have a Terra, I like the Terra but the optics are distinctly mid-tier. If the CL is similar, then it is worth 300 - 400 bucks tops.

Troubador, much thanks for a solid review. I enjoyed reading it. I've had the luxury of spending time with all three of these, and I agree with your findings, especially optically. Even though I'm a Swaro fan, I think the CL is the least impressive binocular ever to come from Swaro......a real underperformer. The Terra is every bit as good as the CL, but IMO, but both are outclassed by the Conquest HD, which is a stellar performer. Now I didn't get along with the kidney beaning of the Conquest, but I hear the new, longer eyecups Zeiss sends for free would remedy that problem. Optically though, the Terra is outstanding for the money.

Lee,

Thanks for the report. I've only managed to try the trio for short periods, but so far no direct comparison of all three at the same time in good light unfortunately. We seem to have arrived at the same answers though. Where we differ is that you say the CL "is by no means a bad binocular" though you thought the £310 Terra a little sharper. I know I've seen binoculars half that price that have better effective resolution than the CL. I've tried more than a dozen now and they all just as bad. Do you really think that's acceptable for an £800 binocular?

David

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the review. That's my recent dilemma, Terra or Conquest (and 8x or 10x). According to your review the Conquest deserves its price tag, if budget is available. But weight is a relative disadvantage too, no?

Lee,

Thanks for the report. I've only managed to try the trio for short periods, but so far no direct comparison of all three at the same time in good light unfortunately. We seem to have arrived at the same answers though. Where we differ is that you say the CL "is by no means a bad binocular" though you thought the £310 Terra a little sharper. I know I've seen binoculars half that price that have better effective resolution than the CL. I've tried more than a dozen now and they all just as bad. Do you really think that's acceptable for an £800 binocular?

David

Hi David

I agree 100% David but that's me thinking about spending my £800 on a binocular. Others may value the high quality feel of CL and may have an over-riding brand loyalty, and who's to say that's wrong?

When I say its not bad I mean that you would be able to name most common bird species using it given favourable views, and enjoy looking at the scenery. Its not a disaster in terms of what you can see through it.

However in terms of value for my personal money, yes its unacceptable and I wouldn't buy one, but I try and stay away from that angle in my tests.

Going to Bird Fair?

Lee

Thank you very much for the review. That's my recent dilemma, Terra or Conquest (and 8x or 10x). According to your review the Conquest deserves its price tag, if budget is available. But weight is a relative disadvantage too, no?

Hi KK

Conquest is heavier and you can feel it when you pick it up. But anyone who is used to carrying a 42mm binocular will immediately notice how much lighter Conquest is. So you are right to use the word 'relative'.

I used the Conquest almost every day for 3 weeks in France recently and every day it was great to pick up something so small and light compared with the 42 I had also taken.

Conquest is definitely in a different optical quality and weight class but Terra is definitely in a different price and weight class.

Lee

Hi David

I agree 100% David but that's me thinking about spending my £800 on a binocular. Others may value the high quality feel of CL and may have an over-riding brand loyalty, and who's to say that's wrong?
I'm all for personal choice, but a silver badge and cute looks doesn't make it a good binocular.

When I say its not bad I mean that you would be able to name most common bird species using it given favourable views, and enjoy looking at the scenery. Its not a disaster in terms of what you can see through it.
Much depends on the user of course, but they may well have to get very much closer to do so with a CL than with anything else I can think of in the price range, and quite often very much less. Wouldn't potential buyers here want to know that?

However in terms of value for my personal money, yes its unacceptable and I wouldn't buy one......
There we do agree.

David

I'm all for personal choice, but a silver badge and cute looks doesn't make it a good binocular.

Agreed, but not everyone has the same criteria as you and me.

Much depends on the user of course, but they may well have to get very much closer to do so with a CL than with anything else I can think of in the price range, and quite often very much less. Wouldn't potential buyers here want to know that?

I think it really is exagerating to say folks would have to get very much closer to common birds with the CL.

Heres the thing. Lets put to one side the price and the fact that compared with the Terra the FOV, close focus and perceived sharpness during critical viewing, is not as good. During normal viewing, when not searching for critical detail the quality of the view is broadly similar to the Terra. Recently me and Aileen went rock-pooling at Flamborough head and took our Terras with us. During the day we each said several times that the Terras were terrific, thoroughly enjoyable and great fun.

We were able to separate Guillemot from Razorbill, see the stripes on Puffin beaks, easily identify Chaffinches, Robins, Greenfinch, Goldfinch and Meadow Pipit without being close to any of them.

Because of this I decided that it would be pretty two-faced of me to describe the CL as rubbish given the broad similarity of the quality of its view to that of the Terra.

I think folks are intelligent enough to draw their own conclusions when they look at the CL's specs and my comments about it's optical quality and compare it with my remarks about the Conquest and Terra and then factor-in the prices.

Lee

I think it really is exagerating to say folks would have to get very much closer to common birds with the CL.

Lee,

No exaggeration. If we are take the longest range we could make an ID for example then I estimate I'd need to be about 40% closer with a CL than some of my own binoculars that cost significantly less. That's like having a 5x instead of an 8x. As I said, that very much depends on the user though, and I'd accept some will find it adequate, but the CL is pretty bad in my book.

David

Lee - Enjoyed your post. Somewhere in the not too distant past, I compared the CL to the Terra in many ways, including dawn and dusk. To my old eyes (and they aren't young), I sensed the CL was only a smidgen brighter than the Terra. I found two substantial differences. The CL is more compact. And the difference between $350 and $900 is enough to give many a pause.

A friend has a CL which he showed me. It was badly out of alignment. He has young daughters who think it is a toy. Anyway, I talked him into sending it back to Swarovski for repair, and a CL with a different serial number arrived in short order. It looked new.

John

Lee,

No exaggeration. If we are take the longest range we could make an ID for example then I estimate I'd need to be about 40% closer with a CL than some of my own binoculars that cost significantly less. That's like having a 5x instead of an 8x. As I said, that very much depends on the user though, and I'd accept some will find it adequate, but the CL is pretty bad in my book.

David

David

For sure, anyone who expects an optical family resemblence in the CL to that in an EL is in for a disappointment. :smoke:

Anyway thanks for a break-through in my image:
You heard it here first folks: Troubador is soft on Swarovskis! :-O

Lee

Lee - Enjoyed your post. Somewhere in the not too distant past, I compared the CL to the Terra in many ways, including dawn and dusk. To my old eyes (and they aren't young), I sensed the CL was only a smidgen brighter than the Terra. I found two substantial differences. The CL is more compact. And the difference between $350 and $900 is enough to give many a pause.

A friend has a CL which he showed me. It was badly out of alignment. He has young daughters who think it is a toy. Anyway, I talked him into sending it back to Swarovski for repair, and a CL with a different serial number arrived in short order. It looked new.

John

Thanks John.

And $350 versus $900 is as significant as you say.

Lee

I`v always found the CL lacking considering the price, but maybe that`s just the cost of building it in Austria rather than China.

I certainly would`nt pay £800 for it, the Kite Lynx hd is half that and just as well made.

I have them both and use them both often. IMO the CL is quite a bit better overall than the Terra ED which is a good Chinese made binocular whose manufacture is still overseen by Zeiss--probably because it is necessary.

Take things like the eye cups: The Terra's feel mushy when being extended and closed. If one were planning to use one day in and day out for years one would be justified in being skeptical about their durability.

The Terra ED's "sweet spot" is much smaller than the CLs.

It doesn't handle glare when looking in the general direction of the sun, where its veiling glare can get pretty bad in the morning and evening. The CL handles this very well.

Looking into the oculars one can see numerous varieties of what are called "false pupils." The CL has only 2 of them in each ocular and they are precisely located and match each other.

I've compared their brightness numerous times and although the Terra EDs is good; in twilight and while looking into a dense canopy of trees and tree limbs and leaves, the CL is brighter and has better contrast.

The differences above, I think, justify their differences in price. It seems to me that more time and care and better materials are used in making the CLs.

Both to my eyes have excellent sharpness, and to test them I would have to put them on a tripod.

I would much rather have the Terra ED as a car binocular: Less to worry about and you can slide it under the seat when it is not in its case and not feel guilty doing so.

Bob

Last edited:
I have them both and use them both often. IMO the CL is quite a bit better overall than the Terra ED which is a good Chinese made binocular whose manufacture is still overseen by Zeiss--probably because it is necessary.

Take things like the eye cups: The Terra's feel mushy when being extended and closed. If one were planning to use one day in and day out for years one would be justified in being skeptical about their durability.

It doesn't handle glare when looking in the general direction of the sun, where its veiling glare can get pretty bad in the morning and evening. The CL handles this very well.

Looking into the oculars one can see numerous varieties of what are called "false pupils." The CL has only 2 of them in each ocular and they are precisely located and match each other.

I've compared their brightness numerous times and although the Terra EDs is good; in twilight and while looking into a dense canopy of trees and tree limbs and leaves, the CL is brighter and has better contrast.

The differences above, I think, justify their differences in price. It seems to me that more time and care and better materials are used in making the CLs.

Both to my eyes have excellent sharpness, and to test them I would have to put them on a tripod.

I would much rather have the Terra ED as a car binocular: Less to worry about and you can slide it under the seat when it is not in its case and not feel guilty doing so.

Bob

Hya Bob

Thanks for stopping by!

I haven't tried the Terras in low sun conditions but looking up from a sea-shore towards a cliff with nesting seabirds and in the general direction of the sun, I didn't encounter significant glare.

I agree the CL feels well made and that this feels in keeping with the price.

I am surprised that your Terra's eyecups feel mushy. Mine certainly don't.

By the way you imply that you move your eyecups up and down each day and I am wondering why you would do that. Perhaps you are sharing the bins between someone wearing spectacles and someone who doesn't?

I know what you mean about not feeling too guilty when putting the Terras under a mild degree of risk. We took Terras on our moderately risky, clambering about on rocks next to the sea for the same reason.

Lee

Last edited:

Bob

I thought you had nothing but high praise for the Terra on glare? Is this a different model / unit?

My Terra 8x42 handles glare better than an FL....

I thought you had nothing but high praise for the Terra on glare? Is this a different model / unit?

My Terra 8x42 handles glare better than an FL....

I had a long review on the 8x42 when it first came out.

http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2742950&postcount=1

I couldn't find much to criticize about it at its price point. Zeiss compromised on its FOV but that doesn't bother me. I have good words for its glare resistance and its large sweet spot. Its eye cups have a soft feeling but they snap into place when fully extended unlike the ones on the 8x32. It also has a variety "false pupils" in the oculars which I didn't pay much attention to at the time but I noticed they were also in the oculars of the 8x32 and there were more of them. They must be outside the cone of vision but I've never seen any binoculars with as many of them as these 2 Terra EDs (especially the 8x32) have.

The veiling glare in the 8x32 is at its worst in the evening just after the sun has gone below the horizon and I am looking along the tree line with them. The CL doesn't show any in that situation.

One thing more about this statement above in your post: "My Terra 8x42 handles glare better than an FL.... ." Is that your quote about your Terra 8x42 or are you attributing it to me?

I just went over my review of the 8x42 Terra ED and I did not say anything like that. I did discuss comparing it with my 7x42Victory FL on a number of issues but not on glare as you can see in the link above.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back