• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Differences in Otter and Mink swimming (1 Viewer)

Heathy

I have seen 2 large mammals in the last couple of weeks, 1 was definetely a Mink swimming and at another location in Kent a distant mammal swimming. The Mink was swimming with its head and body visible creating a long dark shape whereas the other mammal was swimming with its head clear and then only a small part of its back visible, this created a head, water, back, water impression. Do these 2 species of mammal swim diferently and show the features i have described.

Marc Heath

Heathy said:
I have seen 2 large mammals in the last couple of weeks, 1 was definetely a Mink swimming and at another location in Kent a distant mammal swimming. The Mink was swimming with its head and body visible creating a long dark shape whereas the other mammal was swimming with its head clear and then only a small part of its back visible, this created a head, water, back, water impression. Do these 2 species of mammal swim diferently and show the features i have described.

Marc Heath

Mink swimming on the surface typically show head, gap, hips and a thin tail.

Otters swimming on the surface typically show head, gap, mid-back (NOT hips), gap, broader flattened tail.

Both are of course dependent on water smoothness vs. waves, strenuousness of activity etc.

Size if anything else at all (even reeds or water plants) is in view ought to be a good clue: Mink are marginally bigger than Stoats, Otters are the size of big domestic cats or slim foxes.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back