• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Habicht Binoculars 8x30w (1 Viewer)

Peter 255

I'm thinking about buying these binoculars, but I haven't seen many threads on them. Are the optics comparable to the Nikon E2 or SE? Are they useful for general birdwatching? Why don't many people post about it on this forum?

Many thanks

I’ve found that these binoculars provide VERY good images , but are not quite up to the standard of the likes of the Nikon 8x32 Superior E series binoculars, arguably one of the better 8x32 porro-prism binoculars ever made. The Swarvoski’s image has a VERY faint yellowish tinge, while the Nikon’s is more neutral. Their eye relief is also QUITE poor compared to the Nikon SE. The Habicht provides only about 10 to 13 millimeters or so compared to the Nikons’s 17-18 millimeters.

If possible, try to procure them in an armored format, as they are just a BIT delicate. The Swarovski also provides the benefit of being nitrogen-purged, just about the only small birder-worthy porro-prism binocular I can think of offering this feature. The Nikons are NOT waterproof!

For what it’s worth, Swarovski’s 7x42 Habicht binocular is a REAL bargain, offering significantly improved eye relief (as you would expect from this configuration) and are easier to steady for long periods if you have larger hands.

Best of luck!

I’ve found that these binoculars provide VERY good images , but are not quite up to the standard of the likes of the Nikon 8x32 Superior E series binoculars, arguably one of the better 8x32 porro-prism binoculars ever made. The Swarvoski’s image has a VERY faint yellowish tinge, while the Nikon’s is more neutral. Their eye relief is also QUITE poor compared to the Nikon SE. The Habicht provides only about 10 to 13 millimeters or so compared to the Nikons’s 17-18 millimeters.

If possible, try to procure them in an armored format, as they are just a BIT delicate. The Swarovski also provides the benefit of being nitrogen-purged, just about the only small birder-worthy porro-prism binocular I can think of offering this feature. The Nikons are NOT waterproof!

For what it’s worth, Swarovski’s 7x42 Habicht binocular is a REAL bargain, offering significantly improved eye relief (as you would expect from this configuration) and are easier to steady for long periods if you have larger hands.

Best of luck!

Excellent summary. Just a few minor points of difference:

The current version of the 8 x 30 Habicht offers much improved coatings and a very impressive and neutral image. Unlike the Nikon SE, it does not (for my eyes) present blackout problems. All porros are inherently more fragile than same quality roofs, but Swaro porros have the reputation of being exceptionally well made and durable. Since the armored version of the 8 x 30 represented an earlier generation of coatings, I would still opt for the "leather" covered model.

The Swaro 7 x 42 Habicht is a genuine bargain, but the field of view is disappointingly narrow by modern standards.

Drat…

My apologies.

I should have prefaced my remarks by stating that my experience with these binoculars dates back several years! I’m delighted to hear that the company is still making them. I’m STILL leery of their limited eye relief specification (12 millimeters). Based upon my most recent travels around the World Wide Web, this statistic remains unchanged for this model. If you can supply any encouraging information regarding any improvements to this particular feature, I’d be pleased as punch to receive it. I imagine Peter Hearnshaw probably will be, too! I've always had a weakness for smaller porro-prisms, due to their marvelously compact, streamlined ergonomics.

Peter – If you can tolerate comparatively scant eye-relief, these binoculars will be an absolute DELIGHT for you to hold steady for extended periods! They’ll fit perfectly in an inside pocket of a treasured waxed cotton jacket.

CE

Hi,

bought mine (8x30 W) brand new two years ago and them habicht have become my preferred pair o bins since. The color is neutral, field distortion small. Waterproofing has proven efficient despite all-weather use and difficult pressure condition (mountain climbing) which caused the nikon se to fog internally all the time.
one night i was tenting in the snow, temperature dropped below 30 celsius and all of my gear froze, in the morning i couldnt get my stove open, stuck with ice, whereas i could perfectly rotate the focusing knob of the bins! so much for alleged lack of ruggedness for porros!
don't hesitate to buy yours, i definitely would recommend this pair o bins to anybody looking for TOP quality and half the price...

regards,
zp

Hi,....
one night i was tenting in the snow, temperature dropped below 30 celsius and all of my gear froze, in the morning i couldnt get my stove open, stuck with ice, whereas i could perfectly rotate the focusing knob of the bins! so much for alleged lack of ruggedness for porros!
don't hesitate to buy yours, i definitely would recommend this pair o bins to anybody looking for TOP quality and half the price...
regards,
zp

Hello!
I am also highly interested in this model. Unfortunately I never found any shop who had any Habicht model available for inspection.

The above report is very impressive. But it contrasts with occasional reports that the focussing mechanism of the Habichts is quite stiff. Someone called it "annoyingly stiff".
How old was the above model? Is the stiffness unique to the current, water-proof generation?

The rubber-armoured version is out of stock; it is not mentioned on the Swarovski website anymore. Personally I like the leather-covered version better. It ranks among the most beautiful binoculars in production.

I'd very much appreciate this discussion to continue with contributions of current and past owners of these interesting, but seemingly neglected models. Due to their design, in structured scenaries Porros give visibly better spatial resolution than Roofs.

On behalf of the
Society for the Protection of Porro Binoculars from Going Extinct,
Thomas

Hello All,

I would join to your small but dedicated group. Personally I have a Habicht 7x42 leather covered modell for five years and I am absolutely content with its optical quality. It is true that the FOV is not so wide as the newer roof modells offer (at least not seems to be so wide), but it is some very typical for Swaro binos and telescopes. I think that should be very useful to keep and to wide the Habicht product line at Swarovski. Probably a 8*42 porro binocular should be a good competitor for birding, but nowadays, when the roof prism binos are in the fashion epicentrum, there is no intention to develop in this field of optics.

One thing is sure for me: I will never change my old Habicht because its very confortable eyepieces and ergonomic desing, that enables to use it with glasses.

Regards

Vámi

I own both the 8x30 Habicht and the Nikon 10x42 SE. I love both of them. The habicht are plenty rugged. I keep them on my front seat for emergencies, and use them for close quarters birding. The habicht's focusing knob can get a little stiff if you leave it in your car overnight during very cold weather, but it is still usable and if you heat it up, say on the dashboard vent, the problem disappears. They do not (exterior) fog up as easily during rainy conditions as the SE do. The view is not as spectacular as that offered by the SE but it is close and well worth the money compared to roofs. I recommend the leather version, they are cheaper and have a classier, old-school look. I think if you get either the SE or the habichts you will not be disappointed: you will have some of the finest optics available at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:
I have the rubber-armored version of the 8x30 Habicht. I've had mine since 1995, and it is still as good as new, despite heavy use during those years. I've never had to send them back for repair - says something about the ruggedness and build quality.

The 8x30 Habicht is optically excellent, and more or less comparable with my two other binos, the Nikon 10x42 SE and Swarovski 10x50 SLC (even if especially the latter is as good as it gets). It shows a bit more flaring/ghosting than the other two binos, but other than that it is truly excellent, pin sharp, brilliant, great FOV and close focus. The 8x30 Habicht is, IMHO, at least as good optically as Swarovski's own 8x30 SLC and EL.

More often than not, I find that I choose the Habicht as my companion on bird watching trips before the 10x42 SE and 10x50 SLC, especially when I've to carry a scope and photo equipment as well.

I think the stiffness of the focus wheel is more of an issue with the rubber-armored version (heavier bridge) than the leather covered version. Mine is quite stiff, especially so in cold weather.

I highly recommend the 8x30 Habicht, it is indeed the hidden jewel in the Swarovski line!

I highly recommend the 8x30 Habicht, it is indeed the hidden jewel in the Swarovski line!

I could not agree more. I have owned both the Habicht 10 x 40 and the 8 x 30, and the latter is a superlative glass and, IMHO, brighter and sharper than its SLC sibling. My 8 x 30 is the "leather" covered version, purchased in 2006, and focus is also stubbornly stiff. I suspect the stiff focus is actually a result of extensive waterproofing gaskets rather than bridge design (my 10 x 40, also a "leather" model, was afflicted with the same condition). The Habicht/Classic are great binoculars which I understand are no longer being imported into the U.S., and possibily discontinued to boot.

I could not agree more. I have owned both the Habicht 10 x 40 and the 8 x 30, and the latter is a superlative glass and, IMHO, brighter and sharper than its SLC sibling. My 8 x 30 is the "leather" covered version, purchased in 2006, and focus is also stubbornly stiff.

Hello!
Had a chance to test a Swarovski Habicht 10x40 a few days ago.
Can't think of any reason why they are so hard to find.
Excellent. Exquisite. Wonderful.
No more CA in it than in the 8x32 Ultravid HD (tested 2 minutes later).
The Habicht is better (!) in terms of distorsion.
These underrated instruments must reign in the realm of best value for money.
As regards the "stiff" focussing: yes, it is stiff if compared to the ultra-light mechanisms of a Swarovski EL or a Zeiss Victory FL. But I would not call it STIFF (really stiff) - not at normal temperatures. The 10x40 had a degree of stiffness that was practically comparable to the Ultravid HD specimen they had.
Apart from that the focussing of the Habicht was very smooth and very precise without any trace of play.
With the moving eyepieces making a Porro waterproof is quite a job, I suppose. So the Swarovski engineers have undoubtedly done a great job.
Give the optical excellence and the wonderful handling of the Porro design it is very good value for money.
Tom

Hi all -

Here in the US, when I worked a a retail store, I sold LOTS of the 8x30 Classic (Habicht) models. However, after I went to work for Swarovski Optik N.A., I looked at the sales figures and realized that I was the exception to the rule - most dealers did not want to stock or sell the Classic models. After the EL 42 series came out, many birdwatching stores simply stopped stocking even the SLC series, and the advent of the EL 32 binoculars has only reinforced that. The Classic models had fallen off the radar.

After a few years of selling VERY few of the Classic models, we at SONA have stopped importing them from Austria and featuring them oin our price lists, simply because there was so little demand from both consumera and retailers. We can still special order them from Austria, but the dealer had better have a paying customer waiting for them. They are still being produced for the european market, so you should be able to get hold of one to try out.

As to a few comments from above, here are a few observations of mine (not necessarily those of the designers in Austria);

Stiff focus - yes it is stiffer than most porro prism binoculars, but that is due to the double-waterproofing seals on the bridge. If it was less stiff, there would be a greater chance of moisture getting inside. Your choice - foggy view or strong finger muscles.

Eye Relief - these are binoculars designed back in the 50s and 60s, when stuff like eye relief and close focusing were not considered to be desirable selling points. Since the total production of the Classics is very small, and the percentage of top-end porros is tiny when compared to top-end roofs, it simply would not be economic to redesign the lenses for those things. They would never recoup their additional investment.

Bottom line - if the specific model (8x30, 7x42, 10x40) fits your hand comfortably, it is a remarkable value in terms of optical quality and ruggedness. Me, I do butterflies, so the ELs win.

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

- most dealers did not want to stock or sell the Classic models.
Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

Exactly the same dreary situation here in Europe.
Had to travel almost 100 km to find a shop that had a single specimen.
It's a disgrace given the excellence of the instruments.

After a few years ... SONA have stopped importing them from Austria and featuring them oin our price lists, ....

So it becomes a classical case of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Stiff focus - yes it is stiffer than most porro prism binoculars, but that is due to the double-waterproofing seals on the bridge.

no stiffer than any other water-tight Porro model.
(in fact second to none in terms of precision and smoothness of the mechanism)

and the percentage of top-end porros is tiny when compared to top-end roofs,
the better they ought to compete in this niche.

it simply would not be economic to redesign the lenses for those things. They would never recoup their additional investment.

which is a conjecture without proof.

if the specific model (8x30, 7x42, 10x40) fits your hand comfortably,
nothing more comfortable out there.
ELs sole serious competitors.

it is a remarkable value in terms of optical quality and ruggedness.
True!

A Fan,
T.

Hi I tried some Roofprism's today.On there website they said they where Swarovski 7-42b Habicht SLC and only a few years old. The bin's felt great and the view great but at £500 for second hand I think I might think again? What do you think? Do Swarovski make this model? I can't find them on there web site Help Clive

Last edited:
Clive -

The basic design was tweaked into the "SLC New" a few years ago, but the differences are very small. They are selling new in the US for about $1500 - I don't know what they go for in the UK. They are excellent optics, and as rugged as any ever made.

Here's how to tell the manufacture date - the Serial Number begins with a letter, followed by nine numbers. The first two numbers are the code for the year of manufacture -
69 - 1999
70 - 2000
71 - 2001
72 - 2002
73 - 2003
74 - 2004
75 - 2005
76 - 2006, etc.

The next two numbers tell the week of that year in which they were made.

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

Hi I tried some Roofprism's today.On there website they said they where Swarovski 7-42b Habicht SLC and only a few years old. The bin's felt great and the view great but at £500 for second hand I think I might think again? What do you think? Do Swarovski make this model? I can't find them on there web site Help Clive

Hello Clive,

The 7x42 Swarovski Porro glass has a relatively narrow field of view. The eyecups sometimes do not stay down but pop up unexpectedly.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Hello Clive,

The 7x42 Swarovski Porro glass has a relatively narrow field of view. The eyecups sometimes do not stay down but pop up unexpectedly.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Arthur,

Clive said that he was looking at the 7X42 SLCs which are roofs not porros and have a very wide fireld of view 8 dgrees (140m at 1000M).

Paul

Clive -

The basic design was tweaked into the "SLC New" a few years ago, but the differences are very small. They are selling new in the US for about $1500 - I don't know what they go for in the UK. They are excellent optics, and as rugged as any ever made.

Here's how to tell the manufacture date - the Serial Number begins with a letter, followed by nine numbers. The first two numbers are the code for the year of manufacture -
69 - 1999
70 - 2000
71 - 2001
72 - 2002
73 - 2003
74 - 2004
75 - 2005
76 - 2006, etc.

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

Hello Clay, I have a older design Swarovski SLC 7x30 that I sent in to SONA in 6/20/03. I have the original Service Order for this and Pam S was my contact. My original SLC 7x30 was from about 1982 or so and this SLC 7x30 binocular I got back from SONA was brand new except for my lens. The serial number on this starts DA73 and then five more numbers, so I guess this would be considered a 2003 binocular now. I was really happy to get this back in such excellent shape. My question is, do you know when Swarovski started making these first 7x30 & 8x30 SL compact roof prism binoculars. When I bought my 7x30 SLC[compact] all they showed was the classic series, SL porro series and these two 7 & 8 30 SLC. I lost my original receipt but had sent in a card to SONA. Thanks for any information.
Regards,Steve

Clive -

69 - 1999
70 - 2000
71 - 2001
72 - 2002
73 - 2003
74 - 2004
75 - 2005
76 - 2006, etc.

Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

Clay,

Many thanks for the s/n information. Would the next two digits after that mean the day of the week? My 10x42 SLCs are D723407xxx, meaning they were made on Sunday? I'm partly serious.

How hard would it be for the company to include an IPD scale on the underside of the hinge? This would improve setting accuracy a lot. They can contact me by PM to arrange royalty terms. Again, I'm partly even more serious. :-O

Ed

(...)
76 - 2006, etc.
Clay Taylor
Swarovski Optik N.A.

Hello!
Interesting information.
Does the code apply to Habicht Porro models, too?
Thank you.
Best,
Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back