• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any Zeiss 7x50 B owners here? (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I would guess, from an empirical experiment with a Zeiss 7x50 BGAT and without precision, that the hyperfocal setting would allow reasonably sharp focus with the Zeiss from 13 meters to infinity.
I would also write that the focus is good across the whole field, with a 7 mm. exit pupil, eye placement is easy. One can glance at the edges without ill effects, unlike some other highly touted binoculars with good edge resolution. I think that the Zeiss has the best across the field sharpness of any binocular, which i have tried and that includes that Nikon, which has a cult following. Another member of BirdForum, once referred to it as "no fault" binocular, in a private message.

For sure, this heavy glass is not made for bird watching.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Last edited:
For sure, this heavy glass is not made for bird watching.

Been using mine to view the swifts and swallows today, makes it so easy to keep up with them performing, no focussing to worry about just raise the binocular to your eyes and a sharp image is ready and waiting for you...

Ingle,
If only they weren't so big and heavy and unwieldy to look through and focus at the same time, I would use nothing but my IF 7x50, which happens to be a Fujinon. I want no finer view. But it's just too much.

I agree, Ron. The view through the 7x50 Fujinon is very impressive. I use my FTMR's as much as possible, as long as there isn't much hiking involved. I've actually worked out a way of holding them by both prism housings while focusing both eyepieces simultaneously with thumbs and index fingers. Since focusing a 7x isn't nearly as fussy as higher magnifications, it works quite well, and the view (while not panoramic), is impressively bright and contrasty. Once focused, all that mass acts as an image stabilizer - I'm convinced I've never seen more detail through a 7x binocular. Having said all that, the Zeiss 7x42 FL remains the best all-around 7x binocular I've used. Most of the 7x50 B/GAT's I've looked at had at least some haze on the prisms. This is easily cleaned by a professional, but the B/GAT porro's seem to have this tendency, most likely caused by outgassing from cement or paint.

Most of the 7x50 B/GAT's I've looked at had at least some haze on the prisms. This is easily cleaned by a professional, but the B/GAT porro's seem to have this tendency, most likely caused by outgassing from cement or paint.

Hi Angelo

My 7X50 is virtually a new one, its optics are crystal clear at the moment but is this a problem which may surface later on ?.:-C

Hi Angelo

My 7X50 is virtually a new one, its optics are crystal clear at the moment but is this a problem which may surface later on ?.:-C

I honestly don't know, but I would think storing them in a relatively cool, dry place would greatly reduce the likelihood of it happening. Keep in mind also that it is easily remedied. I don't know whether they were nitrogen purged at the time they were made. If not, exposure to high humidity or salt air would also accelerate this process.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back