• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss open bridge? Vote now! (1 Viewer)

I'm a Zeiss fan, but I'm disappointed with the 'schoolboy howlers' on their website, viz.
"to get closer to your quary" (sic, quarry) and, in the acknowledgement of completing the preference survey, "...recieved..." ("i" before "e", except after "c"). Never mind the
'spellchecker', this is basic English for heaven's sake! "And when it comes to camouflage, let's just say that evolution is well behind the curve". What does that mean? Is it some kind of Americanese which Europeans can't comprehend? Who writes this awful stuff?

Could it be that you took the wrong survey?

There are two of them on the same page. One down on the page which sound like the one you described, and another to the right on the page, which specifically asks about the open bridge design.

Don't take the one by the text "ZEISS Binocular Survey. You have an opinion - we want to hear it! Take a few seconds to complete our short survey".
Try "Take our Brief Binocular Preference Survey and enter to win a Victory Compact! Your opinion matters to us." instead...

Best Regards,
Patrik Iver

Patrik:
What is your connection to Zeiss? Curious minds want to know.

Patrik:
What is your connection to Zeiss? Curious minds want to know.

Hi NDhunter!

My connection to Zeiss is (atleast) twofold:

Firstly, I’m a satisfied user of a 7x42 FL. They fit me well both ergonomically and optically, but are (as Ron H. said on a thread on Cloudynights) ridiculously expensive.

Secondly, I’m a taker of surveys ;). In fact, just like Brock, I took the first survey (the one down on the page) twice in search of the “open bridge”-question before I happened to notice the second survey (which this thread is supposed to be all about).

We have one thing in common: Our curious mind…
Hence my question:
Do you mind telling me what gave you the impression that I might have some perhaps more official connection to Zeiss? I’m not asking in order to make a fuss about a misuderstanding, but rather because English is only my third language (after Swedish and Finnish), so I might very well make mistakes when it comes to nuances in a posting like the one above. Live and learn...

Best regards,
Patrik Iver

Patrik:
No problems here, it is good to see enthusiastic bino. users. I had not looked at the
original post where users were steered to the Zeiss website.

Jerry

just took the survey. The open hinge will be very nice. All my binoculars, EL, ZEN ED2, have open hinge. But it is the optics that sells. I hope they can make the new Zeiss less than $1800 to compete with SV.

I like the open bridge on my Zen 8x43 ED2. Very secure feel while one-handing it. Still I only get 2 1/2 fingers on my left hand around the left barrel. All else sits on top. Those with wide-set eyes might have more room. I'm 62-63mm IPD I think.

I'm not sure open bridge makes much difference in mid-size. Something as short and stout as the Zeiss 8x32 FL certainly wouldn't benefit greatly from it. You couldn't wrap your fingers around it anyway--no room between the barrels. Longer mid-size like the EL, EDG and Zen might by different, but I think I'd rather have it short. The 8x32 FL just sits in the hand like a little bird.

Interestingly, the little Leica 8x20 UV has a wide-open-bridge feel to it that is very nice, but that's only because the barrels are so skinny. Loads of room between the barrels, both fore and aft of the focuser. Just a great feel in use.

It'll be interesting to see what Zeiss decides.

Could it be that you took the wrong survey?

There are two of them on the same page. One down on the page which sound like the one you described, and another to the right on the page, which specifically asks about the open bridge design.

Don't take the one by the text "ZEISS Binocular Survey. You have an opinion - we want to hear it! Take a few seconds to complete our short survey".
Try "Take our Brief Binocular Preference Survey and enter to win a Victory Compact! Your opinion matters to us." instead...

Best Regards,
Patrik Iver

Thanks, Patrik, I did take the other survey (twice :). At that hour, I could only see the BIGGER PRINT. I kid you not, I've got a corneal abrasion from "dry eyes".

Put some expensive Bausch and Lomb "Soothe" ointment in last night, which is just a combination of petrolatum ("Vaseline") and mineral oil. But my doctor said to take it because it's sterilized. $9 for 1/8 ounce!

My eyes are still a bit blurry today, but not as gritty, so hopefully, it's working.

So now I'm entered in the contest. But fat chance of them picking my name after I told them I would not pay more for an open bridge. Zeiss bins are expensive enough!

But I do find it interesting that Zeiss is finally at least considering designing an open bridge roof. It's all the rage. It's like the hoola hoop or the Limbo. :)

Brock

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back