• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sparrow Hawk (1 Viewer)

Lizzybif

I'm about to ask what is probably a really stupid question. Please don't laugh!

Will a Sparrowhawk 'land' in a field? I had always thought that when they land it is to 'perch' on something like a tree or a fencepost but I was looking out for one which keeps coming into my garden where the birds feed and I thought I saw it land in a field behind my garden?

Liz :bounce:

Lizzybif said:
I'm about to ask what is probably a really stupid question. Please don't laugh!

Will a Sparrowhawk 'land' in a field? I had always thought that when they land it is to 'perch' on something like a tree or a fencepost but I was looking out for one which keeps coming into my garden where the birds feed and I thought I saw it land in a field behind my garden?

Liz :bounce:

They'll land anywhere Liz, especially if it's just seen a bird drop into the grass or into the furrow of a ploughed field, etc. Merlins often hunt from the ground, or very nearly, on some prominent clod of earth, farm machinery, wall or even molehill! What's the land like that surrounds the house? Have Merlins been seen in the area to your knowledge?

saluki

Hey Liz, don't EVER think a question is stupid....nobody is born an expert and with birds and the rest of the natural world being such a huge subject nobody can honestly say that they know it all!

I often have Sparrowhawks where I live, both male and female on a regular basis, and only last week I watched a gorgeous male as he perched on the hawthorn hedge that borders the footpath in front of my garden and feeding station. He was there for a good ten minutes or so, just sitting still and looking around, until something seemed to catch his attention and he flopped down into the field. He then went into a dip in the grass and was lost to view.

GILL

Thanks both and for not laughing (well maybe you did but I couldn't see you!)

Some of the land around my house is agricultural Saluki but I haven't seen any Merlins.

Liz

Hi Liz, its not at all stupid, yes they will land in fields, gardens, and chase small birds that try to find shelter in hedges. Just keep watching and enjoy your birding, and dont be afraid to ask.

Hi Liz, watched a female Sparrowhawk today at Grindon Lough up near Hadrians Wall, had a half heated chase of a Lapwing flock then flopped down in the grass at the waters edge, Still there 15 minutes later when I left suspect it may have been sheltering from a freezing northerly wind.

Have seen them on the ground often on a mound or other vantage point over the years so its obviously not an unusual occurence.

As Gill rightly said no bird questions are stupid none of us know everything.

Good birding

Stewart

:bounce:

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back