• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swaro's answer to the Victory SF? (1 Viewer)

But I suspect the SV's alpha-among-alphas selling power is based on image qualities that are obvious in an indoor test, namely flat field, minimal edge astigmatism, and near zero distortion. With a tie on one and two Zeiss is closing in, but SV still will get the sell. Plus, the green is just right.

I don't know. It will all depend on how good the Zeiss really is, and as there are as yet no production models around, we'll have to wait.

Hermann

Swaro's reaction will be a calm smile. If the SF really "cures rolling ball" then in an in store test, it will be, to most purchasers, demonstrably "inferior" to SV: straight edges, viewed near the edge of the field, will appear to curve. SF might beat it on scattered light handling, smooth focus, and ergonomics, but those are subtleties that take experienced field use to judge.

SV is a brilliant design, and wonderfully well made, don't get me wrong. It is fun to borrow my wife's 8.5x42 now and then. The focus wheel, never bad, has smoothed out nicely with use, the flat sharp field helps nail a bird that's hauling it to the nearest bush, and the contrast, sharpness and color presentation are all that need be.

But I suspect the SV's alpha-among-alphas selling power is based on image qualities that are obvious in an indoor test, namely flat field, minimal edge astigmatism, and near zero distortion. With a tie on one and two Zeiss is closing in, but SV still will get the sell. Plus, the green is just right.

Ron

Ron,

The SF is IMO not so much better that owners of the SV will trade theirs in.
But the new customer having now the choice between SV and SF, that's a different story. For the first time the SV has more than serious competition.
On the other hand, Hermann is right. Let's wait for the production models.

Jan

The El was introduced in 1999. Adjusted for inflation, a $1,300 price tag (if it is accurate) would be equivalent to $1,945 today. One way to look at it is that all the advanced technology incorporated into today's $2,300 SV really costs only $355 in current dollars. That's quite a bargain.

Similarly, in 1993 the 10x42 SLC marketed for about $950, which would be equivalent to $1,639 dollars today. The latest model sells for about $1,850, which is a real difference of only $211.

True enough, but since my wages haven't kept pace by a long shot, $2300 seems almost as much more than $1300 to me today as it would have in 1999. Also, at $1300 in 1999, the EL was crazy expensive--the competing models from Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, and B&L were all available for $750-$950 back then!

--AP

Allbinos rated the 8.5x Swarovision 1st against a field of 8x binoculars.

Why they placed them in the 8x category is unknown because they also have an 8.5x category where they rated 7 other 8.5x binoculars.

One can argue that their sharpness rating, at least, can be thrown out the window because of this.

Bob

Allbinos rated the 8.5x Swarovision 1st against a field of 8x binoculars.

Why they placed them in the 8x category is unknown because they also have an 8.5x category where they rated 7 other 8.5x binoculars.

One can argue that their sharpness rating, at least, can be thrown out the window because of this.

Bob

Bob:

Allbinos has a category for 8.5x45 binoculars, and if you had looked,
that is those binoculars at 8.5x44-45.
That is a different category, and so they place the 8.5x42mm's in the 8X.

Allbinos does not score for sharpness, and I don't know of any source
that does. I also watch the Allbinos tests, and I agree with their findings
on placement.

The Swarovision 8.5x42 is very sharp, you can now rest your worries.;)

Jerry

Jerry,

I know it is very sharp. Everybody says so and no one is supposed to question that. So what difference does a couple more millimeters on the objective end make to them? They are Swarovski but 8.5x is still 8.5x and it should be sharper at the same distance than 8x no matter how you look at it.

And I did look and I saw that Albinos also placed four 8x binoculars in the 8.5 category and ranked them with the 8.5s and two of them were 8x43s. 2nd and 3rd ranked were 8x44 and 8x43.

Bob

True enough, but since my wages haven't kept pace by a long shot, $2300 seems almost as much more than $1300 to me today as it would have in 1999. Also, at $1300 in 1999, the EL was crazy expensive--the competing models from Zeiss, Leica, Nikon, and B&L were all available for $750-$950 back then!

--AP

Yes, I would certainly agree that inflation metrics don't always have valid implications with regard to affordability. In that respect, Swaro and other high-end optics have more and more priced themselves out of reach.

Ed

The Swarovision binoculars are a very well designed binocular, and
it seems you must not be seeing clearly. You may have some vision
issues. :eek!:

It seems you should consult an optometrist, and get your eyes checked.

Jerry

I'm 53, was at the optomotrist last month and have 20/20 vision... and I have a degree in visual arts.

I'll put my eyes against yours every day, all day.

I'm 53, was at the optomotrist last month and have 20/20 vision... and I have a degree in visual arts.

I'll put my eyes against yours every day, all day.

I'm 53 too, was at the eye doctor 6 months ago, got some new glasses, have a PhD in Literature, and mostly think you're a bag of hot air, which is probably mostly what you think of me. ;)

The 8.5 SV is sharp as anything. Used it for 4 years now. I'll check out the SF soon as I can, but it's got something to prove before I sell the SV to buy it.

With love,
Mark

I'm 53 too, was at the eye doctor 6 months ago, got some new glasses, have a PhD in Literature, and mostly think you're a bag of hot air, which is probably mostly what you think of me. ;)

The 8.5 SV is sharp as anything. Used it for 4 years now. I'll check out the SF soon as I can, but it's got something to prove before I sell the SV to buy it.

With love,
Mark

Thank you Mark. : )

Bryce...

With love,
Mark

While my career has been spent in the visual world, yours has been spent with words... makes sense.

I've spent several years with both the EL and the EL SV, and your opinion is questionable.
Your prices are not in relation to what they sold for.
The original EL sold for more than that.
Not sure how it applies at all in this discussion.

The Swarovski EL binoculars are all very good, and the newer ones are better, and
how you determine the value is up to the purchaser.
This is much the same with any optic a mfr. updates.

CG, tell us more about your experience with the EL's ? ;)

Jerry

Jerry,

I actually paid a little less than that for the 8x32 and a little more for the 10x32, both new and from a retailer. I also debated purchasing the 8.5x which was selling around $1300 way back when at Sportsman's Warehouse.

I have commented some on my experiences with the EL in other posts over the years. I had a long run with them but have parted ways and I am enjoying other binoculars now. I anticipated I would be a SV owner when I let the WB's go, but that never happened.

I have to agree that this strays from the original post, but fully suspect this acceptable as it is the case with many.

CG

With love,
Mark

I think, more precisely, a bag of differing opinion...

CG

Ron,

The SF is IMO not so much better that owners of the SV will trade theirs in.
But the new customer having now the choice between SV and SF, that's a different story. For the first time the SV has more than serious competition.

Jan

If you are thinking of competition in terms of sales volume, then I suspect the Swarovision dominates the high-end market. However, considering just the binocular and ruling out regional customer service and distribution issues, then I include the Nikon EDG II as another serious competitor to the Swarovision. I believe the EDG II 10X42 still has the highest test score on the Allbino website. That is not to say it is better, but it is equivalent and should be considered, along with the new Zeiss SF, by someone looking to spend that kind of money.

I also suspect you are correct in your first sentence that many Swarovision owners will not be eager to spend the additional money and switch to the new Zeiss SF. I think that will also be true for us EDG owners.

If you are thinking of competition in terms of sales volume, then I suspect the Swarovision dominates the high-end market. However, considering just the binocular and ruling out regional customer service and distribution issues, then I include the Nikon EDG II as another serious competitor to the Swarovision. I believe the EDG II 10X42 still has the highest test score on the Allbino website. That is not to say it is better, but it is equivalent and should be considered, along with the new Zeiss SF, by someone looking to spend that kind of money.

I also suspect you are correct in your first sentence that many Swarovision owners will not be eager to spend the additional money and switch to the new Zeiss SF. I think that will also be true for us EDG owners.

Bruce,

Yep maybe so, but considering Nikon is an absolute non issue down here, that leaves us SF and SV.

Jan

Yes, I would certainly agree that inflation metrics don't always have valid implications with regard to affordability. In that respect, Swaro and other high-end optics have more and more priced themselves out of reach.

Ed

Got that straight, Ed. The minimum wage is not indexed to inflation:

Inflation and the Real Minimum Wage:A Fact Sheet

There are also other factors, for example, more companies are forcing workers to pay a larger share of their healthcare costs, which means higher out-of-pocket expenses.

As baby boomers grow older, they need more healthcare and therefore are paying out more in out-of-pocket expenses than they had been.

With more baby boomers retiring, that means that more Americans are living on fixed incomes.

So just adjusting bin prices for inflation is an oversimplification.

As my Consumer Optics Price Index Poll showed, as prices creep closer to the $3K mark, more birders plan to drop out of the alpha market and migrate to the growing second tier to buy their optics.

If we know this, you can be sure that optics companies do, too, and that's probably why they are bolstering their second tier offerings, and in the case of Zeiss, also offering a slightly lower priced alpha in the HT and a low-priced model in the Terra ED. Hedging their bets in case not enough customers will follow them into the exosphere.

What matters most to the companies are the profit margins. If the prices are high enough to maintain the profit margins they are accustomed to, they won't be affected by fewer buyers. The tricky part is figuring out how far you can push the prices and maintain those margins.

Will the bean counters at the companies be able to figure that out, or will they have to hire an outside accounting firm to run the numbers?

Anyway, there are plenty of good quality binoculars at the second tier level, and also bargains to be had on the second-hand market. So if $2,600 gives you sticker shock, you've got suitable alternatives that will get you very close to the top but without the bragging rights.

Brock

"There are also other factors, for example, more companies are forcing workers to pay a larger share of their healthcare costs, which means higher out-of-pocket expenses."

Brock you got that right. Different stuff I never had to pay for before and it is not going to get any better.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back