• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC or Zeiss HT 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Tmblweed1

I have a chance to get either a Swaro SLC WB 10x42 or Zeiss HT 10x42 at good prices. I know this is a Swaro forum but I will also ask in the Zeiss forum. Any advice is welcome as I will order Mon.

When I purchased my HT's a few years back...I tested the SLC 10x42's against the Zeiss HT as well as the Conquest. If you go thru the Zeiss forum here, you will find my extensive reviews of each.

It is all about personal opinion and what works with you as either of those area strong bins. Lots of reasons why I preferred the HT'S and I am very happy with them and it has been 1 1/2 years now.

jim

When I purchased my HT's a few years back...I tested the SLC 10x42's against the Zeiss HT as well as the Conquest. If you go thru the Zeiss forum here, you will find my extensive reviews of each.

It is all about personal opinion and what works with you as either of those area strong bins. Lots of reasons why I preferred the HT'S and I am very happy with them and it has been 1 1/2 years now.

jim

Have ordered the HT"s....thanks

Good price.... I really like mine. I know the new SF's are out there but for what you get with the HT'S...I see no reason to go any further. They try to market the SF's exclusively to birders and the HT's to hunters and birders (as well as the Conquest line) but I see pure birding bins with the HT's...

Have fun

They try to market the SF's exclusively to birders and the HT's to hunters and birders (as well as the Conquest line) but I see pure birding bins with the HT's...

I agree. The idea that the HT's are "just" for the hunters is utter nonsense.

Hermann

Everything is ployed to marketing.... These bins came out in Germany and it would appear that while initially they were marketed for hunters and the Conquests for birders....they slyly changed the advertising to be both birding and hunting as they were missing an entire market.

But given that they are great in low light and most / much of birding is done in low light, it makes sense to be a birding bino. Also since the HT is superb at picking up color and images in poor backlit areas such as looking up at trees or lines etc with harsh cloudy day light etc ...wow, you can't get any better than an HT. I know I compared the HT to the SLC and that was one area the HT excelled at.

Now...the SF? Not too sure what else they could have done to the HT except to make it 'flatter' of an image. Besides, from my experience, 'birders' have more income to spend than 'hunters' (in general) and they could charge more for the bins with that in mind. Funny how advertising works, jim

Congratulations on a great choice ! (HT)

These were demo's, $1749.00 shipped (Victory HT 10x42 )

That's a great price; nothing wrong with getting a demo pair.
Love my HTs; got them for hunting but love to watch birds with them too.
They're superb for watching anything ! :t:

Sagittarius...just curious since I am not a hunter. What would you look for or need in a binocular that a birder wouldn't need or vise-versa?

I see binoculars, especially the HT and SF and I am sure other brands that say they are perfect for hunters or birder etc.. But since you do both (hunt and bird) , do you really see any different need associated with either? jim

Sagittarius...just curious since I am not a hunter. What would you look for or need in a binocular that a birder wouldn't need or vise-versa?

I see binoculars, especially the HT and SF and I am sure other brands that say they are perfect for hunters or birder etc.. But since you do both (hunt and bird) , do you really see any different need associated with either? jim

I will chime in as both a hunter and a birder. There is really no difference in
what any optics user wants or needs in a binocular.
That means any size will do, and some like larger objectives for dim light, and for light carry the smaller sizes.
Some hunters who backpack large distances will only carry a nice light 8x30-32 binocular.
Most hunters and birders will prefer a nice 42mm size for the best all around size, for ease of view and comfort.

Zeiss is famous with their introduction of the Victory HT, and declared it "designed by hunters for hunters". Go back a few years on the Zeiss threads, this was discussed in some detail.
I believe no birder in their right mind is using a Victory HT, to this day,
as they felt slighted, or even worst not very important. |!|

Jerry

Go back a few years on the Zeiss threads, this was discussed in some detail.
I believe no birder in their right mind is using a Victory HT, to this day,
as they felt slighted, or even worst not very important. |!|

Jerry

3:)

I'm glad you feel I'm not ''in my right mind'', Jerry!

3:)

I'm glad you feel I'm not ''in my right mind'', Jerry!

Well James I think we both giggled at that marketing effort
by Zeiss on the HT. I just mentioned this marketing gaff, to just
make a point. For Zeiss, I do hope they did not lose any birders
looking for a new premium binocular.

We both think alike in many ways. ;)

Jerry

Well James I think we both giggled at that marketing effort
by Zeiss on the HT. I just mentioned this marketing gaff, to just
make a point. For Zeiss, I do hope they did not lose any birders
looking for a new premium binocular.

We both think alike in many ways. ;)

Jerry

I'm pretty sure most are just looking for the best view they can find, Zeiss delivers with the HT for many.

As in all optics...it really comes down to what fit your eyes and needs. The HT was a perfect fit...but, I am not a hunter so guess I will have to sell them off real cheap and get a birding pair :) ... So funny the twist that advertisers place on a product.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back