• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eastern Phoebe? (1 Viewer)

JamieoftheNorth

First off, I'm very new to birding. But I could swear there's an Eastern Phoebe hanging out in my backyard! I'm in southern Maine, and they're supposed to summer here, but it's still early. However, on the rare bird alert, somebody reported hearing one last week just one town over.

I'm going through my guide books, and I can't see anything else it would possibly be, unless I'm overlooking something.

Any thoughts?

Well, how about that? A few minutes after my post, the bird landed on a branch just a dozen feet from my window and stayed there long enough for me to have a very good look at it. Eastern phoebe, no doubt about it now!

JamieoftheNorth said:
Well, how about that? A few minutes after my post, the bird landed on a branch just a dozen feet from my window and stayed there long enough for me to have a very good look at it. Eastern phoebe, no doubt about it now!

If, while the bird was perched on the branch, it constantly bobbed it's tail down and up, then it was an Eastern Phoebe. If it didn't, it could have been an Eastern Wood Peewee. Phoebe's tend to hang around streams and water courses and Peewee's are more woods oriented.

Good Birding,
Bob
:t:

ceasar said:
If, while the bird was perched on the branch, it constantly bobbed it's tail down and up, then it was an Eastern Phoebe. If it didn't, it could have been an Eastern Wood Peewee. Phoebe's tend to hang around streams and water courses and Peewee's are more woods oriented.

Good Birding,
Bob
:t:

There has to be some sort of bizzarro mind connection between me and this bird. Just as I was reading your post, I was thinking I better double check. At that moment, he came in again and landed on the branch. Lower mandible was all black (Pewee is orange-ish, according to my guide book) and the tail was moving, so yup, Eastern Phoebe!

He's also flying towards my house and then backing off. I read they like to build nests on buildings and bridges. I'm wondering if that's its motive.

Jamie,
They do like buildings; particularly near a stream. We used to have a pair that nested in the rafters inside the Pavilion at a fishing club I used to belong to. There is probably a pair still nesting there next to the trout stream.

Bob

ceasar said:
Jamie,
They do like buildings; particularly near a stream. We used to have a pair that nested in the rafters inside the Pavilion at a fishing club I used to belong to. There is probably a pair still nesting there next to the trout stream.

Bob

Cool. Yes, I was reading they like water. There are a couple of bogs not too far away, one with a nice sized stream running through it. No water in the immediate vicinity though, but plenty of insects to eat (which are starting to emerge with spring). We'll see if the little guy sticks around.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back