• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oman - mantids (1 Viewer)

paul47

I think the first one's a mantis, around 25mm long and showing a fair turn of speed in dry scrubland, running on 4 of its legs and seemingly quite happy in the full heat of the day. Possibly Eremiaphila sp?

The 2nd was quite impressive, wings around 70mm long, it came to the motel lights.

Attachments

• m252a.JPG
    m252a.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 45
  • m252b.JPG
    m252b.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 38
  • m252c.JPG
    m252c.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 39
  • m274a.JPG
    m274a.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 33
  • m274b.JPG
    m274b.JPG
    318.1 KB · Views: 39
Follow up

I think your correct on the first species ID. The second one I have a few possibilities. I'm going to look more into it though before I post my thoughts. The last thing I want to do is incorrectly identify it for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back