• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oman dragonflies (2) (1 Viewer)

paul47

A few more from Oman in January.

1 (d013b) - Violet Dropwing?
2 (d266a) - unknown
3 (d282b) - possibly a female Black Percher?
4 (d283) - there were plenty of "emperor-class" dragonflies around but I didn't find one settled - I could just about persuade myself this is a Vagrant Emperor

Attachments

• d013b.JPG
    d013b.JPG
    370 KB · Views: 79
  • d266a.JPG
    d266a.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 96
  • d282b.JPG
    d282b.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 70
  • d283.JPG
    d283.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 65
Hi Paul

#3 does look like a (fresh) female Black Percher to me. However, I'm not sure what the full list of omani dragonflies is so I don't know if there are any confusion species.

Not sure if that helps !

I'm no expert, in fact outside of Europe I'm not even a beginner, so I'm probably missing something very obvious. But isn't that Ischnura senegalensis?

I'm no expert, in fact outside of Europe I'm not even a beginner, so I'm probably missing something very obvious. But isn't that Ischnura senegalensis?
Looks very much like it to me. (It's not I. evansii because that species has very short inferior abdomenal appendages which would be difficult to make out in this photo - but the inferior appendages are clearly visible).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back